Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nomenklatura
Dec 4, 2002

If Canada is to survive, it can only survive in mutual respect and in love for one another.

TOOT BOOT posted:

I imagine this will provide a bit of a boost to PC Gaming as soon as these start filtering down into pre-built PCs.
This is the big take-away for me. Gaben must be dancing over this (before getting tired and eating another pizza...) because this is going to bring a SHITTON of people back to PC gaming who were too confused/frustrated/broke to buy discrete.

(It was also probably inevitable, since with the AMD buyout, Intel was basically at NVIDIA's mercy.)

It's also going to really help the browser game market out, since they can be more confident that people will have at least tolerable graphics capability. Nothing too overwhelming, and they wouldn't want that anyway because of costs, but enough to get the job done.

TOOT BOOT posted:

I'm actually worried a little by the trend that computers are 'fast enough' for most people.

The public sees a lot of benefits from fast processors being available, even if it doesn't relate to how they use their own personal computer. Unfortunately chip fabrication is very expensive and we probably still need to be selling those chips at consumer volumes.
Well, it's not really surprising. The killer app for the public is this here Internet we're sitting on, and the requirements it needs are dropping all the time. (Which is why we're seeing the big transition from desktop to laptop to netbook to gay little tablet thing.)

The big exception for consumer use was, and is, computer games. And, yes, they are completely locked down by the current extended hardware generation, though I suspect that will resolve itself when/if Move and Kinect fail to recapture the Wii's success. I suspect they're going to need to move ahead sooner than they'd like.

Gaben's little network does helps by providing an excellent distribution avenue for computer games that aren't simple console ports, but it's still early days for Steam. I don't think Steam will really hit critical mass until Microsoft gives up GFW for good and gets in bed with Valve like everybody else. In the meantime, what people have is generally what they need.

Nomenklatura fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Sep 16, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU