Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Factory Factory posted:

Will we never again feel the thrill of a desktop or laptop upgrade with a significant boost in capability? Are we doomed forever to only get our "new toy" excitement when Apple releases their version of a previously unpopular product and revitalizes that market?

:smith:

I think like other people have been saying its simply a matter of time before software catches up to hardware. Or other bits of hardware catch up to the hardware. In the meantime have you seen how fast cellphone technology is moving?

And keep in mind that poo poo like memristors are probably going to hit within a decade. What the gently caress are people going to be able to do with nonvolatile memory an order of magnitude denser, and order of magnitude lower-power, and two orders of magnitude faster than flash that work better as they get smaller, can store non-binary states, can be used as programmable analog circuits, can implement neural networks in hardware, are likely stackable in 3D, and which can do computation without a CPU?

I don't know man. Nobody knows. But I do know that it's going to loving. Rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Plorkyeran posted:

It's not really a question of being wrong; they're actively trying to force things in different directions, not guessing which way things will go.

It is if they can't get a strong market to form around their architecture on which they went all-in.

Personally, I think the AMD approach is actually much more revolutionary. They made a real good move acquiring ATI and getting in-house experience in high-end graphics processor design.

Too bad Nvidia is working them over on the GPGPU software side of things and intel on the CPU performance side.

Still, I wouldn't be surprised to see ATI the dominant player in a few years once they get the bugs worked out in fusion and someone figures out what the gently caress to do with widespread GPGPU abilities.

Anyone want to take bets on Intel avoiding programmable graphics hardware because they know they would just get their rear end handed to them if they helped the market take off too soon?

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

I don't think anyone on this forum has ever recommended buying a day 1 rig.

You'll notice everyone saying "i'm happy with my C2D/C2Q I might sit this one out." Also, those benchmarks that were linked show sandy bridge underperforming the top-end i7 chips.

The i5 is an amazing processor, buy one now and it'll last you plenty of time.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

All I mean is that what is currently available as an i5 is an excellent upgrade. Sandy bridge will surely be better, but not so much so that it'll instantly obsolete today's value buys and justify limping a single core along for another year.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

So I'm not a computer engineer or anything (so I should probably shut up) but given the level of architectural rearrangement we're seeing with CPUs today I think it's somewhat natural that the sockets obsolete relatively quickly.

Someone who knows what the hell they're talking about: How hard would it be to put the GPU on a chip using a current-gen socket?

Are there legitimate architectural reasons for moving sandy bridge to a new socket, or is it simply a planned obsolescence thing?

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Ok yep I don't know what the hell I'm talking about and am going to shut up.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

freeforumuser posted:

Even without adjusting for inflation PC700 RDRAM cost like more than entire gaming rigs of today.

ell oh ell

I know, old, out of production etc etc but still

That Athlon XP 2100+, 512mb DDR, Radeon 8500 dream machine I put together during the fallout of that battle as my first MY COMPUTER will always have a special place in my heart. :3:

man, computers so fast it was like living in the future...

Now look at us. Just look at us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

COCKMOUTH.GIF posted:

Look at us watching old people fall down stairs on YouTube via our Google Android phones.

overclocked to 1.2ghz on a broadband connection in the woods

"Can I get high on these mushrooms? Cmon google goggles, tell me yes!"