Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

If you're not planning on doing any overclocking, is there any point at all in getting the K versions of these chips? I was planning on getting a 2500. I have been told: "Overclocking the thing will be dead simple if you're not trying to max it out, and the cost increase is so minimal I personally think it would be worth it. It's only $11 more, after all. Any particular reason you're opposed to overclocking?". The thing is, I've always thought that overclocking gives you minimal performance at the cost of stability. Is this no longer the case? Am I a fool for not getting the 2500k?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunder
May 22, 2003

BLOWTAKKKS posted:

Wow, this seems like a really bad time to build a gaming PC. I was going to get an i7 950, but the i7 2600k is the same price. I really, really wish I could wait for LGA 2011.

Is it even worth getting the i7 2600k over the i7 950? I'll probably get angry when LGA 2011 comes out and upgrade to it anyway.

I think that, for gaming anyway, the i5 2500k would be plenty.

edit: beaten

Gunder
May 22, 2003

This is kind of an off-topic question, but for a system that consists of the Asus Pro board, the 2500k, 4 gigs of DDR3, a Xonar DX sound card, and a Radeon 6870, would a Corsair 650watt PSU be sufficient?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I've been hearing about a few problems people are having with the Asus boards and ram settings not being properly detected automatically in the bios. Hopefully Asus will be releasing updates pretty regularly.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I'd be very interested to know of peoples experiences with the Asus Pro board. I've been hearing reports of instability and am wondering how isolated they are.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I'm using the Asus P8P67 Pro and was wondering if there's some way that I can get the USB ports to be powered when the system is switched off. My old Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus would keep supplying power to the USB ports, thus enabling me to charge my wireless mouse while the system was switched off.

Is there any way to do this on this board? I've tried looking in the BIOS, but can't find any obvious option to enable this behaviour.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Factory Factory posted:

According to my informal test of turning off my computer with some peripherals plugged in, the internal USB headers remain powered when the computer's off. That's according to a laptop drive and an iPod, at least. So plug in the ports on the front of the case or get a drive-bay hub.

This didn't work for me. The front panel connector also powered down completely when I shut the thing off.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Jos posted:

I guess you could look around in the bios (sorry I mean UEFI) power options maybe try switching from S1 to S3 and fiddle around a little with what's available.

Other option: get a usb hub with its own power supply. Could you let us know how this works out? I'd be interested in that as well (haven't ordered anything yet).

What's the S1 and S3 mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Was able to resolve this myself by turning on the "Wake on PS/2 Mouse" option in the BIOS, even though it's a USB mouse. It now charges the mouse when it's off.