Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Navaash posted:

I would just be happy with more SATA6.0 ports if it weren't for the fact that add-in SATA cards are either absolute garbage, overpriced to hell, or both. (2500K/P67 here)

Pick up an IBM M1015/M1115 which is an 8-port non-poo poo PCIe (x4) SATA/SAS 6Gbps adapter, and a favorite in the NAS thread for ZFS setups. They go for under $100 on eBay; I picked one up for $70 shipped. It even supports RAID 0/1/10 functionality out of the box, and you can flash it to also do RAID 5/50. You'll need a couple of cheap adapter cables to use it with regular SATA drives. It might be overkill for your desktop though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Alereon posted:

Unfortunately both of those controllers are for spinning HDDs only and provide the same awful support for SSDs as the dirt-cheap consumer controllers. You're kind of stuck with the onboard Intel controller if you want decent performance with SSDs, and you only really need SATA 600 for SSDs.

Interesting. Apparently it only supports TRIM with SSDs that are on the compatibility list, the majority of which are expensive enterprise drives but it does have Intel 320/510/520 and Samsung 840 Pro on the list, so if you have one of those it should be fine.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Alereon posted:

Where are you seeing that TRIM is supported with any drives?

Here. The controller has to be flashed with "IT" firmware, which disables all RAID functions. Also, an anecdote.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

ShaneB posted:

Speaking of quicksync, why can't I enable it in Open Broadcaster Software? I have an i5-4670K. Is there some way I enable the stock video chipset that I don't know about? I went through my BIOS last night and couldn't find anything.

Only some motherboards support both integrated and PCI-e graphics enabled simultaneously. Is there an option in your BIOS for enabling LucidLogix Virtu support?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Some ASUS motherboards (P8Z77-v, for one) have a BIOS option for multi-GPU mode and the caption says "enable this for LucidLogix Virtu." It's a lovely gimmick, but the multi-GPU mode option makes QuickSync work in OBS while your dedicated GPU runs your games.

QuickSync encodes look like poo poo at reasonable bitrates though, so you might want to do this if you're setting this up for live streaming.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

Researching my future NAS some more, it seems like I can get an ECC capable mini-ITX mainboard and an Xeon E3-1220V3 for just a few :10bux: more than the four core Avoton. So why exactly would I want that Atom CPU?

If you'll be deploying a lot of them in a high density environment.

For home server use the E3 is probably the better bang for the buck, even with the higher power consumption. It'll be much faster with tasks like transcoding and running VMs if those are things you think you might want to do at some point. You could also hit a lower price point and still get ECC support with an i3.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

wipeout posted:

(Bugger is, I can find a lot of cheapish ATX S1155 boards, but most of the mITX ones are overpriced now. Was hoping to keep this alive until there was something really compelling to upgrade to)

Amazon has brand new ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE/WDs for $143 after a $50 rebate. Seems like a solid deal all things considered.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Here's a cheap LGA 1155 board if you want to get up and running again on the cheap. No overclocking though.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

The Slack Lagoon posted:

A friend wants to build a desktop for video editing. He was looking at 6800k - will there be a 6 core kaby lake?

If used hardware is acceptable to your friend, he can get an off-lease HP Z420 or Dell T3600 workstation with a 6-8 core Sandy Bridge-EP in it for under $400. Assuming the editing software he's using is properly multithreaded to take advantage of more cores, that's a killer deal. It may use more power/produce more heat than a newer CPU, but should feel just as fast.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

I object! Just to be contrary.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xah84cJwdxE

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

3peat posted:

Aren't the six and eight cores the same chip as the ten core, which means they should be able to have the full pcie lanes? Why cut that down, when threadripper has the full 64 lanes for the entire lineup

To get you to pay them more, duh.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

I wonder if Intel is ever going to do a Skull Canyon followup now that Kaby Lake has the updated iGPU that supports Netflix's new DRM - that's my only hangup on Skull Canyon.

Get an NVIDIA Shield TV for your 4k Netflix and enjoy that sick passive Skull Canyon setup for everything else.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

wargames posted:

they use epyc layout but aren't 2 that are disable just junk dies that never worked and they need the space to be filled for stability?

VostokProgram posted:

But supposedly amd is getting fantastic yields with zeppelin dies. Maybe the yields are *so* good they can afford to completely waste some dies?

It's also possible that the extra two dies are unprocessed silicon spacers, instead of disabled or defective zeppelins. :shrug:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3211409/computers/why-ryzen-threadripper-has-two-mysterious-chips.html

PC World posted:

So did AMD really waste two perfectly good “Zeppelin” dies? Nope.

Those other two “chips” are nothing more than spacers to help maintain the structural integrity of the gigantic heat spreader, PCWorld has learned from a source who declined to be identified.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

VulgarandStupid posted:

What's so great that you need TB3 on a consumer desktop board? Real question. I mean you're in in a MacBook/ultrabook situation where the ports are literally too big and you can just put a graphics card in, so EGPU hook up isn't needed. That pretty much leaves storage devices and phone chargers, which are both pretty acceptable for regular use with a regular USB on the other side.

Start at 11:00 in... (sorry for the Linus video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NshXgisNly4&t=661s

SamDabbers fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Sep 26, 2017

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

willroc7 posted:

Edit: Has anyone ever had to actually USE a processor warranty? Not one that was DOA.

I had to RMA an early production Ryzen that exhibited the segfault bug under high load. AMD's warranty department isn't particularly speedy, but they did send me a good chip.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

It was out of the box, but is only triggered by certain workloads. AMD acknowledged it and will swap out the affected chips. Otherwise it's been smooth sailing, hardware-wise. There have been some 'new platform' firmware/software growing pains, but they've largely been resolved at this point. I'm happy with my Ryzen setup and look forward to seeing what AMD does next. If nothing else, they're spurring Intel to do more than release slightly improved versions of the same quad core chips they've had for the past 5+ years.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Windows 3.11 runs in dosbox, so your 16-bit Windows games should too

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Kerbtree posted:

Question: do modern CPUs still have a full set of all the instructions for 8/16-bit software?

I'm sure I remember a long time ago there being something about only being able to use the next group down, so 64/32, 32/(16+8).

Virtualbox will happily boot a 8-bit DOS 6.22 instance on top of 64-bit Win10.

Yes, modern x86 CPUs still can run 8- or 16-bit software. The thing about "only one group down" is for Windows binary compatibility.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Checksum collisions are super bad if you're doing dedup on ZFS, which is why a SHA algorithm is strongly recommended. In the normal non-dedup case, ZFS is just checking that the record doesn't have bitrot, not that it's unique, so SHA is computationally expensive overkill.

It'd be interesting to see a performance comparison using SHA on ZFS with hardware instructions vs the pure software path vs fletcher4.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Eletriarnation posted:

Not just on that model, either. Much if not most of ASRock's AM4 lineup claims to support ECC, but I haven't seen any reports of people actually using and verifying it. Would be curious to hear if anyone has more firsthand info there.

I'm running a pair of 16GB ECC UDIMMs (Samsung M391A2K43BB1-CRC) in an ASRock X370 Taichi with an R7 1700. ECC is both detected and enabled. I have not seen a single bit error reported yet though.

code:
$ dmesg | grep -i edac
[    0.274126] EDAC MC: Ver: 3.0.0
[   14.105194] EDAC amd64: Node 0: DRAM ECC enabled.
[   14.105196] EDAC amd64: F17h detected (node 0).
[   14.105239] EDAC MC: UMC0 chip selects:
[   14.105241] EDAC amd64: MC: 0:     0MB 1:     0MB
[   14.105242] EDAC amd64: MC: 2:  8191MB 3:  8191MB
[   14.105243] EDAC amd64: MC: 4:     0MB 5:     0MB
[   14.105244] EDAC amd64: MC: 6:     0MB 7:     0MB
[   14.105246] EDAC MC: UMC1 chip selects:
[   14.105247] EDAC amd64: MC: 0:     0MB 1:     0MB
[   14.105248] EDAC amd64: MC: 2:  8191MB 3:  8191MB
[   14.105248] EDAC amd64: MC: 4:     0MB 5:     0MB
[   14.105249] EDAC amd64: MC: 6:     0MB 7:     0MB
[   14.105250] EDAC amd64: using x8 syndromes.
[   14.105250] EDAC amd64: MCT channel count: 2
[   14.105356] EDAC MC0: Giving out device to module amd64_edac controller F17h: DEV 0000:00:18.3 (INTERRUPT)
[   14.105370] EDAC PCI0: Giving out device to module amd64_edac controller EDAC PCI controller: DEV 0000:00:18.0 (POLLED)
[   14.105371] AMD64 EDAC driver v3.5.0
$ sudo dmidecode -t memory
# dmidecode 3.2
Getting SMBIOS data from sysfs.
SMBIOS 3.0.0 present.

Handle 0x000E, DMI type 16, 23 bytes
Physical Memory Array
	Use: System Memory
	Error Correction Type: Multi-bit ECC
	Maximum Capacity: 256 GB
	Error Information Handle: 0x000D
	Number Of Devices: 4

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

My experiments point to #3. I overclocked the RAM to try to induce errors and see if they would be reported to the OS, and it actually worked. On my combination of hardware I got it to POST at DDR4-3200 and Memtest86+ reported a lot of single-bit errors while running through its various tests. ASRock firmware engineers appear to have done a good job.

Of course, I don't run it normally at those speeds, so I have not seen any reported errors in Linux.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

I thought about doing something similar, but decided against putting the routing on my workstation so that Internet stays up even when I'm updating/rebooting the box in case things go sideways and I have to use my laptop to look up docs, download a patch, etc.

How's bhyve work for GPU passthrough these days? Can it mask itself sufficiently to work with NVIDIA drivers and their consumer GPUs?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Bofast posted:

I took one course in basic Ada and C++ programming before deciding that particular uni program wasn't my thing and even I know what a linked list is. How could so many people who actually graduate from a whole similar program not know? :psyduck:

App devs that use the service my team supports regularly ask us for assistance with their programming problems, and the solution is often something simple like "loop through the output of this step and concatenate the strings into a list of commands to pass to the next step." Almost every time the next question is "do you have any example code for that?"

:eng99:

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

I hope the answer is never yes.

Correct. They usually end up going on Stack Overflow and copying something much less straightforward that doesn't exactly fit the use case.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

bobfather posted:

Counterpoint: RAM overclocking on non-Z boards for 10th+ generation processors.

Intel doesn't sell RAM AFAIK. If they did, overclocking it would also be a "premium feature" and they'd sell frequency locked modules.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

They have 2.5G ports, right? You could do a router on a stick setup with VLANs and a trunk link going to the NUC? Just have the WAN port on it's own VLAN that goes only to the trunk.

Are there any VLAN-capable switches with 2.5G ports that aren't silly expensive yet?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

slidebite posted:

Would 32 be possible with some sort of emulation?

It'll retain 32-bit ring 3 support but drop 32-bit ring 0, so a hypervisor will be required to boot a legacy OS but it will be able to run (most) 32-bit code without emulation, and the host kernel and/or hypervisor can trap and emulate the edge cases. 16-bit code will need full emulation.

Here's Intel's own summary page: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/technical/envisioning-future-simplified-architecture.html

SamDabbers fucked around with this message at 15:50 on May 20, 2023

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

slidebite posted:

I know they're not exactly the same, but I bought a cheapo N95 mini on a whim and I've been very pleasantly surprised with how good it is for web/office/video streaming.

I gave away my old i3-4130 HTPC which I used for Netflix/Prime duty because it's was just crazy to have that old dinosaur just for that anymore. Next time someone asks me for a general mom/grandma computer, there is no need to spend more than $200.

I swapped out my mom's i5-3570 microATX PC with a sub-$200 N100 mini PC and she's super stoked about how small and quiet it is comparatively. She didn't need a performance upgrade for the tasks she does and the mini PC is at least as responsive as the machine it replaced. They're definitely a win for that user base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Is there a technical benefit from CNVi over regular PCIe? They just split out the MAC block and moved it into the southbridge so only the PHY is still on the M.2 card, right? Power savings? Cost for integrators? Platform lock-in for Intel?