Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Haswell-E supposed to be for sale today

Core i7-5960X - 8 core, 16 thread, 3.0Ghz base / 3.5Ghz Turbo, 40 PCI-E lanes, 20 MB lvl 4 Cache - $999
Core i7-5930K - 6 core, 12 thread, 3.5Ghz base / 3.7Ghz Turbo, 40 PCI-E lanes, 15 MB lvl 4 Cache - $583
Core i7-5820K - 6 core, 12 thread, 3.3Ghz base / 3.6Ghz Turbo, 28 PCI-E lanes, 15 MB lvl 4 Cache - $389

Gigabyte has their new X99 chipset boards on their site. I know that they are not a favored brand on this forum, but the features are pretty nice and are probably pretty comparable to the features other manufactures will have.

Asrock also has theirs up

Asus and MSI also have boards coming out shortly, but neither of them have updated their sites yet.

Lowen SoDium fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
We are not too far away from having M.2 4x PCI 3.0 SSD. Haswell-E can give you enough PCI-E 3.0 lanes to make use of that and still have enough of them to do SLI or Crossfire. Granted, probably won't make a lot of difference but it is something that I am considering.

Also, the Xbox One and PS4 are both 8 core systems. I expect the next generation of console -> PC game ports to be more multithreaded than they have been in the past because of this. I know that desktop CPUs are much faster than the console CPUs, but I also don't expect most of these ports to be very optimized. Once again, probably won't make a huge difference, but it is my thinking.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Tab8715 posted:

Okay, that makes more sense but then what's the point of SATA Express? NVMe is makes a hell of a lot more...

What you should be asking is what is the point of sata express when we have m.2 wish is (potential) faster, smaller, and cableless.

The answer to that is that m.2 is probably better for your system drive or in situations where space is a premium like laptops. Sata express will still be used for disk arrays, enterprise storage, late capacity drives, etc.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Welmu posted:

Seems unlikely since Intel's latest enterprise-class PciE SSDs are vastly superior to SATA Express:

I meant Enterprise storage as in big disk array and SAN stuff like IBM XIV storage systems and the like. Most of it will still be SAS and/or SATA because of the large number of (non-SSD) disk involved. I don't see M.2 taking over that space in the near future.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Tab8715 posted:

If I'm looking at the specifications correctly, couldn't a single P3700 potentially replace some SANs? I'm a little storage illiterate...

Maybe in terms of IOPS, but some of our SANs are hundreds of terabytes. There is a balance to be had between IO, capacity, redundancy, and cost. SSD hasn't quite gotten there for most enterprises when it comes to capacity and cost compared to spinning media.

I will stop derailing now.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

EoRaptor posted:

Broadwell has, so far, very different power needs than haswell. Even if they preserve lga1150, you would likely need a new MB to accommodate the new power requirements.

Most motherboard makers are saying that their Z97 chip boards will support the 5th gen Core chips when they come out. But time will tell.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Knifegrab posted:

What do you mean? Its more power than I need? I do more than gaming by the way, I am a developer and I also do renderings in my spare time.

He is saying that current games are not multithreaded past 2 or 3 threads. A 6 or 8 core chip clocked at 3.4Ghz will not perform as well as a 4 core 4.0Ghz chip in most games.

Personally, I expect this to change in the next couple years since the Xbone and PS4 are both 8 core systems. Console to PC ports will probably start having higher thread counts. But, by the time that matters at all, you could probably upgrade again anyways. Probably be better building a nice devil's canyon based system now and upgrading to a Skylake-E or what ever 2 years for now.

Your rendering would probably make good use of the extra cores, though.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

r0ck0 posted:

The consoles might have more cores but they don't do any good. Might help the PCs more by making them more optimized for multiple cores.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/86585/assassins-creed-unity-will-not-reach-1080p60fps-on-consoles

The console CPUs currently are not being utilized as well as they could be. AMD's Jaguar is pretty low performance, so developers have little choice but to multi-thread as much of their workload as they can to get as much performance out of the consoles as they can. I think we can expect to see some of this work show up on PC ports eventually.

I know I probably sound like I am saying "Just multithread your games, developers, shesh!" but I really do understand the complexities and non-linear performance gains that multithreading brings. But I really do think that some developers will come up with ways that use nearly all of the CPU resources available to them in order to make the prettiest or best performing games they can on the new consoles. It will probably be a while, though. And chances are equally good those games may never get a PC port.

BobHoward posted:

Eh. Mainstream i7 already has eight threads thanks to hyperthreading, and the console cores are AMD's Jaguar. Jaguar is more or less AMD's Atom competitor, and while Jaguar's good at that it's not in the same league as an i7 core, or even half of an i7 core which is using hyperthreading. So you're going to see a performance advantage without even needing to resort to the bigger expensive hex-core EP series i7s.

I always forget about hyperthreading because it's performance gains are not very high. But you are probably right that Haswell cpus are so much faster in clock speed and in clock-for-clock performance compared to Jaguar, that a 5 or 6 thread application would probably still run faster on a 4 core Haswell chip.

BobHoward posted:

That's assuming game developers find good ways to make use of eight Jaguar cores. It's definitely one of those easier said than done things. Also, I seem to remember that Microsoft reserves three cores exclusively for the OS; the system's resources are partitioned by virtualization so that the console's background services can always be running without impacting foreground gameplay.

Yeah, I have read that too, though I don't remember it being 3 cores. I was thinking it was 2.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

HalloKitty posted:

Nah, you clearly don't realise how poo poo the CPU is in Xbox One and PS4. Netbook-class cores at 1.6GHz or so. Several of them are no match for a high clocked Haswell core.

For the record, I understand very well what the Jaguar CPU is like.

I am not saying that PC games will be 6+ threaded to keep up with the consoles. I am saying that the console games will have to be 6+ threaded to get any performance out of the low power CPU they have to work with. Those games will eventually get ported to PC and could likely still be 6+ threaded.

When that happens, you might see some PC games that can get some performance increase out of a Haswell-E CPU. But until then, the normal Haswell chips are a better by for PC game. And they probably will continue to be even after that point.

Lowen SoDium fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Oct 13, 2014

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

atomicthumbs posted:

RISC is really going to blow away the competition when it goes mainstream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er4w6xKOVF8&t=178s

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

No Gravitas posted:

What is that thing anyway? A GPU that isn't a GPU?

It's an add in card with 57 Intel Atom cores on it. It's Intel's version of Nvidia's Tesla co-compute cards.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

PCjr sidecar posted:

They aren't Atom cores, they're Original Pentium (P54C) cores without out-of-order execution, 4-way hyperthreading, and an wide-rear end vector unit bolted on. Next-gen will have Atom.

Ah, you are correct.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

MediaGX is just branding now. They replaced the original Cyrix design with what amounts to an old K7 Athlon core soon after they acquired it.

When they were 1st released though MediaGX was kinda interesting as being the first chipset integrated IGP + south bridge that had almost OK performance for pretty cheap. You could get a whole system for around $4-500 less than a Intel based system. Too bad the CPU wasn't good even for its time so they had to use a customized version of windows that was optimized for that chip to get good performance.

I don't know if you could even boot a regular version of windows on one.

I don't know anything about them needing a special version of Windows nor can I find any info about that. We sold some systems that have MediaGX chips back at a computer shop I worked at back in the day and we just used regular Windows 95 (and maybe 98, but I don't remember for sure) on them.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

That was what I remembered about them.

Apparently its not really correct. There was some bug with installing win98 on them and a default win98 install disc won't work without some shenanigans.

Now that you mention that, I kind of do remember some issue like that but I don't remember the details. Something like you had to have a driver or something on the install disk that didn't come on it by default or something like that.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I thought that there wasn't going to be a Skylake K chip. I thought it was going to be the Skylake S?

edit: I found an artical that answers my question and list the specs of the different chips that are expected at launch.
http://wccftech.com/intels-6th-generation-skylake-s-processor-lineup-leaked-core-i7-6700k-leads-pack-10-skus-detailed-samples-spotted/

Lowen SoDium fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 25, 2015

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I'm glad Skylake's going to support DDR3L memory. That's almost a cool couple hundred bucks off of the upgrade for me considering how crazy DDR4 prices are, still.

Hopefully, DDR4 will have a price drop with in a couple months after Skylake chips are shipping in volume.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Probably the only reason they're being 'generous' and giving Skylake 20 lanes. Just enough to SLI two GPUs in x8 and *one* NVMe drive at x4. That neglects the other things utilizing the available lanes, too.

I don't think Skylake is getting 20 lanes from the CPU. 16 from the CPU and the PCH now has 20 3.0 lanes but they share bandwidth to the CPU.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Twerk from Home posted:

You know what would be way better than us getting better at using multiple cores? Really fast single cores. I would love to have a single core 17.6GHz Haswell instead of a quad core 4.4 GHz one.

We were supposed to be around 20 GHz by now! http://www.geek.com/chips/intel-predicts-10ghz-chips-by-2011-564808/

quote:

I'll be waiting in line at CompUSA.

:)

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Biostar showed their gaming Z170 motherboard. Not that anyone here would probably using Biostar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBJnX-d-1T8

2 PCI slots?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Rakeris posted:

Honestly it was more of a "just cause" kinda thing, it seems to come with some nice features but there wasn't any of them I really wanted or needed, maybe in the future I suppose. I just have not done a total new build in a while and wanted to do one with it.

This exactly. I am still using a Core 2 Quad chip on a P35 motherboard. I have waited this long to upgrade. Waiting another 2 months isn't going to kill me. Especially if it will give me an extra 10% IPC, more PCI-E 3.0 lanes, a probably upgrade path to Kaby Lake, DDR4 memory, and USB 3.1 via an add-on chip.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Krailor posted:

When Skylake releases DDR4 won't be noticeably faster than DDR3 (5%?) so there's also no real benefit there either.

I am not interested in DDR4 as a performance increase. I am interested in building a PC that I will be able to max out with fat loads of RAM for cheap after the prices drops(assuming that DDR4's prices drop the same way that DDR3 did and DDR2 did before it).

wipeout posted:

Will the skylake successor use the same socket?

sauer kraut posted:

The same as what

Supposedly, Kaby Lake will use the same socket at Skylake.

Lowen SoDium fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 27, 2015

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
64GB, 128GB. What ever the max these boards end up supporting. But yeah, I am talking a year or more from now. Not at launch.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Toast Museum posted:

If I'm not doing, I don't know, video encoding or protein folding, am I likely to see any benefit from 128GB of RAM over, say, 8GB?

Not really. I want tons of RAM is because I do a lot with Virtual Machines and also some amateur game development (tend to have a lot of tools open simultaneously). My current system has issues some times with 8GB RAM when I get working.

128GB of RAM is mass over kill for what I want to do. But if I have the option to get that much and it's not ridiculously expensive, I will do it.

It's been a long time since I have done any real video editing. I am not sure how much RAM video editors will use nowadays.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

WhyteRyce posted:

What if I use chrome and want to have multiple tabs open? Will 128GB be enough?

Maybe, what extensions do you use?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

computer parts posted:

5% gain every year actually adds up after a while.

Yep. Thats why I am so looking forward to Skylake. Because I haven't upgraded my CPU since 2008.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Botnit posted:

So I've never actually been around / paying attention to a new CPU/socket release, how does it normally go down? Like say at the Gamescon thing in Germany is the 8th, do they announce they're now on sale and suddenly Amazon/Newegg are selling them immediately, or do they slowly trickle start to trickle out from that date? And it's only i7 processors at first, right? Is it the normal i7's or only the Extremes?

For Skylake, only the highest end i5 and i7 are supposed to be released first and some time in August. We know that they are being announced on the 8th, but general availability could be any time in the next 30 days. I am assuming that the z170 motherboards will be available shortly before.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Pryor on Fire posted:

Well the good news is that CPU progress has slowed to such a glacial pace that you can just keep the same CPU/mobo for 5-10 years without any compelling reason to upgrade so plugging a new CPU into a socket isn't really something that happens anymore :v:

My current PC is a P35 based mother board, bought 8 years ago. I am going to build a Skylake system this next month, that could last me 10 years or more. I wonder if the system I build after that, might be the last PC I ever build...

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

japtor posted:

*Technically "USB 3.1 Gen 2" since the USB IF split up the branding so 3.0 stuff can be called "USB 3.1 Gen 1". Just amusing cause I'm not sure I've seen anywhere actually use those names, outside of maybe articles about the MacBook (and maybe Chromebook) pointing out the g.1 port. I'm kinda surprised none of the shady manufacturers haven't just gone back and rebranded everything "USB 3.1".

Oh God... This was stupid when they did it for USB 2.0 and is stupider now. All this does is hurt their branding and confuse consumers.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

japtor posted:

Oh man I completely forgot about that, wasn't it like USB 2.0 hi speed and full speed or something?

Yep, but do you remember which was which?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Confirmed: Skylake does not have 20x PCI-E 3.0 lanes to the CPU as was previously rumored.

Disappointing for anyone who was hoping to use CPU lanes for multiple video cards AND NVMe storage.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Rastor posted:

M.2 is going to go through the chipset isn't it?

Depends on the motherboard.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Richard M Nixon posted:

So there's still no real general release date, is there? I keep reading some elusive "available Aug 5" bullshit, but I wouldn't call it available until I can buy from Newegg. Is it still a mystery?

Newegg list the 14th for the combos they have with the 6600k. Nothing listed for the 6700k yet.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

IIRC you need something like DDR4 3200 to show decent (ie. 5-10%) improvement over DDR3 1600. The rub here is that while there are DDR4 kits out now that get pretty close to those speeds they're very expensive and have very relaxed timings which kinda ruin the deal because latency goes through the roof. That and a lot of things that most desktop users run just aren't effected much by RAM bandwidth anyways. I wouldn't be in any rush to upgrade to DDR4 unless you needed huge amounts of RAM no matter the cost.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but it's a combination of RAM frequency and the CAS latency that make the difference. Divide the CAS latency by the RAM speed and multiply by 100 to get the latency in nanoseconds (or so some post on an overclocking forum told me).

DDR3 at 1660 with CAS 9 comes to 5.42 ns

DDR4 at 3000 with CAS 15 comes to 5 ns

Not a big difference.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

I think you're trying to dumb it down a little too much into 1 number and there is a lot more going on there. There are plenty of benches showing the latency trade offs to get the higher clocked DDR4 resulting in either slight (.5-1%) losses or no gains at all in actual real world performance. The exception to that will be for workloads that are actually bandwidth limited, then yes DDR4 shines, but there aren't very many of those for most desktop users.

My point was that the latency difference between DDR3 and 4 can low enough to not even matter, as long as you are buy fast enough memory. If the latency is more or less the same, your performance should be better because of the increased bandwidth (when bandwidth matters).

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

dud root posted:

Can a NVMe SSD such as the Intel 750 be booted directly from the CPU PCI-E channels? Or does it need to go through the PCH

e: on the Z170 mobos

I am also curious about this and would also be interested in seeing some benchmarks for it configured both ways.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Ragingsheep posted:

Would it be possible to eventually use the iGPU for something like physics in games (similar to how you can use a second graphics card for PhysX).

DirectX 12 allows for dissimilar GPUs to be used together. One of the examples they give is using a discrete GPU to render and then your slower iGPU to do the post processing while the disctrete GPU renders the next frame. They got something like an extra 10% FPS, but it added nearly 2x the latency between frames.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Palladium posted:

Not only Skylake is barely overclockable, it's taking some insane voltages to get there.

...So who is still interested in OCing this chip? Not me.

http://www.pcper.com/news/Processors/Photos-and-Tests-Skylake-Intel-Core-i7-6700K-Delidded

Those guys hit 4.6Ghz @ 1.35v after delidding. But the original source is japanese so the exact details are unclear.

edit: source if anyone wants to see more of the pics or translate it: http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/column/sebuncha/20150806_715335.html

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Palladium posted:

Yeah after playing chip lottery, buying a $340+ CPU, delidding and voiding warranty of said CPU with heavy risk of outright failure, added cost of a Z170 board and high-end cooler. Just for that 12.5% OC.

Laughably unimpressive and lunacy much?

Honestly, I don't see a whole lot of reason to OC most chips nowadays. We are so far past the plateau of performance returns, a 25% increase would be barely noticeable in anything but the most extreme use case scenarios.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Krailor posted:

If they keep improving their top end graphics offering I could see them releasing an Iris Pro Kaby Lake part that would give you comparable performance to a 750ti which would soak up the low end graphics market.

But that's all going to pale in comparison to the magical Zen APU that AMD puts out with 8gb of HBM2 that will also let you get rid of your system ram so you can just have something the size of a socket and giant heatsink...right...right guys...

Future AMD motherboards are just massive heatsinks with some ports on them, since the APU is practically a system on a chip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

VulgarandStupid posted:

So I guess the rest of the Skylake desktop line was announced today and releases tomorrow. My first thought is the 6700 is pretty far behind the 6700K, in terms of stock frequency and a little behind for turbo, which is a bit disappointing. I don't think this will improve the outlook for most enthusiasts.

Hopefully this is a sign that the 6700K will have higher availability.