Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I just really want a reasonably priced 13.3" IB ultrabook with the HD4000 graphics and 1600x900 resolution (no SSD is ok). Any guesses as to when IB-based ultrabooks should start coming out? Are we just waiting for CES at this point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Alereon posted:

Pretty much exactly what we expected, which is impressive. AMD is really going to need to hit it out of the park with Trinity to remain competitive for integrated graphics, and I really hope this is the final nail in the coffin of poo poo low-end graphics cards.
Unfortunately don't most of the Ivy Bridge SKUs use the lower specced 2500 gpu? How much crappier is it than the 4000?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Am I the only one who has had a much easier time remembering Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge compared to previous Intel microarchitecture names? It feels like it's way easier to remember a name that's composed of two common words rather than one composed of a single uncommon word. It looks like they're going back to the old naming convention after Ivy Bridge and it saddens me.

quote:

Conroe/Merom
Penryn
Nehalem
Westmere
Sandy Bridge
Ivy Bridge
Haswell

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Factory Factory posted:

madness
:gonk:

WHYYYYYY

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Anandtech has a review up of the Asus UX21A Zenbook Prime (11.6" Ivy Bridge Ultrabook): http://www.anandtech.com/show/5843/asus-zenbook-prime-ux21a-review

quote:

With the exception of the SSD and Windows 7's unfortunate lack of elegant DPI scaling, the Zenbook Prime is the epitome of Ultrabook perfection. It has all of the build quality that we loved about the original Zenbook, with almost none of the quirks.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I'm seriously looking at the $799 UX32A. Sure you give up having an SSD, and the screen is mediocre instead of awesome, but the price!

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

bull3964 posted:

I wonder how much of a game performance boost the NVIDIA 620M will give the UX32VD-DB71. I really like the 11.6" form factor as I want to maximize portability after owning my 15.6" E1505 for the past 6 years, but I would be willing to jump up to 13.3 if there was a significant increase in the play-ability of games. I'm not really looking for a gaming machine necessarily, but it seems like it would be dumb to overlook.
I couldn't find any reviews, but I would guess that the 620M is only a marginal improvement over the HD4000.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Cicero posted:

I couldn't find any reviews, but I would guess that the 620M is only a marginal improvement over the HD4000.

Alereon posted:

Zero to negative. Nothing below a GT 635M will be competitive with integrated graphics, they only exist as a workaround for driver compatibility issues and to con people into paying more. The key limiter of performance on integrated graphics is memory bandwidth, and if a dedicated graphics card doesn't have significantly more memory bandwidth than system memory it isn't going to be any better.
Welp:

quote:

Naturally, if you want a better gaming experience, there are plenty of options to choose from. Are they as small and sleek as an Ultrabook? Generally speaking, no. The closest we’ve come to seriously thin gaming laptops might be the Sony VAIO Z, but the Acer TimelineU is definitely moving in that direction. Going forward, we expect to see quite a few Ultrabooks launching with some form of NVIDIA Optimus graphics. We already know about the TimelineU M3 and the ASUS UX32A; the TimelineU is a 14” laptop with typical Acer components (e.g. low quality screen, mediocre build quality), but it has a potent GPU. ASUS is going for a better built Ultrabook with a 1080p IPS LCD on some models (though not on the $799 model), but with a slower GT 620M GPU. The GT 620M is still a step up from the previous generation GT 540M, however, with core/shader clocks of 700/1400MHz, so it should provide for decent gaming. We’ll report more when we have a test unit in hand.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5872/intel-dual-core-ivy-bridge-launch-and-ultrabook-review/5

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Anandtech (subjectively) compared Haswell GT3e to a 650m: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6600/intel-haswell-gt3e-gpu-performance-compared-to-nvidias-geforce-gt-650m

Supposedly they're roughly comparable, which is a pretty huge leap compared to Ivy Bridge. While I'm guessing this draws too much power to go into real ULV ultrabooks, I'd love to see it in something that's still moderately thin and light.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

incoherent posted:

I really, really want that 5200 in a macbook air.
I really want it in a low-end but competent Windows Ultrabook that I could actually afford/justify.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Is that "available on date of release" referring to laptops, desktops, or both?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

cstine posted:

I don't think ANYONE saw smartphones exploding like they have
Really? I mean wasn't it a given that with enough time, eventually every phone would be a smartphone? I'm trying to remember my attitude back then but it's hard.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

There are laptops that are thicker/heavier than ultrabooks and thinner/lighter than desktop replacements that could accommodate an Iris pro part I would think.
Basically like the Retina Macbook Pros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Zhentar posted:

I read something vague about TSMC using Germanium for 5nm, and was trying to look for some more reliable info... instead, I found this:
I remember reading the same thing about 0.25 microns back in the day. Maybe we can push it to 0.18, but no further!