Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Ugly In The Morning posted:

What kind of bricks does falcon northwest use for the DRX? You can get desktops i9’s in those and have been able to for a while.

Same as the Clevo, because they're the same laptop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Wild EEPROM posted:

Wasnt that “equivalent to 2500 mhz versus an amd 1000 mhz”

The 2500+ ran at 1.8ghz stock and a lot more overclocked. Barton was legit, marketing aside.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Rinkles posted:

Each YouTube channel uses different pc components in their testing rigs, and different graphical presets for games, but I was surprised at just how consistently the 11600K looked better in GN's benchmarks. Could it be silicon lottery, or more down to differences in testing?

Most of the above, but I doubt silicon lottery makes a significant difference at stock speed.

Different game settings used for testing probably make up a lot of it.

Helter Skelter fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Nov 19, 2021

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Rinkles posted:

What do people think of the E-cores? I've seen a fair amount of coverage saying they're close to pointless for gaming, and even sometimes decreas performance because they introduce some kind of latency (as in, in effect decreasing the FPS).

Kinda neutral? They're not really "for" gaming, so I'm neither shocked nor appalled that they're not particularly amazing at it (though it should be noted that they're not usually terrible at it, either). They're pretty good for non-gaming thread-heavy stuff if you have a need (Intel sure did), and from what I gather there are usually workarounds with Process Lasso if you do run into stuff that's trying to hit the E-cores when it really shouldn't.

Overall I think they make a lot more sense in mobile platforms where space and power are more constrained (because that's what the Atom line they're based off of was made for). A 4p+8e laptop with a decent GPU could be pretty rad. I don't think we'd be seeing them on desktop like this if Intel wasn't still playing catch-up with AMD on multi-chip designs, though.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Shipon posted:

Why would my bus clock (12900K) be sitting at 99.8 MHz and attempting to change it to anything else (like, say, the 100 MHz the BIOS is set to) causes it to crash?

Raising that is basically a full-system overclock and not generally recommended unless you know what you're doing. 99.8MHz is close enough (there's always a little variance) to 100MHz that I wouldn't gently caress with it.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

mobby_6kl posted:

Do I need the replacement motherboard CPU frame for the 13th gen CPUs? I had no idea this was a thing but randomly came across the GN video about them.

The frame will chop some number of degrees off your temps. How much exactly will depend on the combination of CPU, cooler, and the workload.

Knockoff frames are like $10 now, so while it's not strictly necessary I think it's also firmly in "why not?" territory on a new build as long as the install process doesn't scare you too much.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

busfahrer posted:

I have a 13700K and a 4070 on a Asus Z790 Prime-P, which comes with 3x M.2.

Will any part of this combination slow down if I fill up all the M.2 ports, with some Gen3 and some Gen4 disks? PCI lanes are Voodoo to me (pun intended)

edit: Can I judge whether I'm good just by observation? i.e. when I put load on my GPU the dynamic PCIe display in GPU-Z goes up to x16 4.0 16 GT/s, even if I copy 100 GB from disk to disk while doing this. Does this mean I can rule out any problems?

Sometimes m.2 slots will "borrow" lanes from elsewhere on the board, but it's quite rare for those lanes to come from the GPU. Usually in that case, one of the other slots will become unusable and/or you'll lose a couple SATA ports. In the rare case where a m.2 slot is borrowing from the GPU, you'll hopefully have some idea about that going in, and the GPU will drop to x8 bandwidth.

Since your GPU is showing x16 in GPU-Z, you've already confirmed it's fine. Your motherboard manual will typically also contain information of any potential pitfalls of this sort, though Asus notably sucks at presenting it in any kind of clear manner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

movax posted:

Is it Alder Lake w/ E cores or just P cores? Have schedulers figured out how to deal with heterogenous cores on x86 yet?

Just E-cores, if I'm not mistaken.

E: beaten