Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manos
Mar 1, 2004

movax posted:

And Intel USB 3.0 hardware (more importantly, and their drivers) will be a welcome addition. I don't have anything USB 3.0 at the moment, so can't comment personally on the NEC performance, but the NEC firmware leaves a bit to be desired.

I know for my current system it took 2 firmware updates on my usb3 addon card AND a firmware update on the usb hdd dock to get a hard drive to not reset its connection every 5 seconds. The current state of affairs certainly has a lot of room for improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manos
Mar 1, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, well, the non-K Core i7 support VT-d (and I hope that won't change in future). The chipset on my mainboard, the P67, does too. Except that none of the Asus mainboards have an BIOS option to enable it, even tho an earlier revision of the manuals listed it as an option. Ironically, ASrock has it on all relevant mainboards.

My current box virtualizes an instance of FreeBSD acting as a virtual fileserver to get ZFS under Windows, and another Linux instance as router (my current hardware router pissed me off once too much, and since my box runs 24/7, why not). All under Hyper-V. While right now, PEG passthrough is more a thing of luck, I expect it to become somewhat usable during the lifetime of my planned Haswell box. And at some point I'd like (at least try) to switch things around and run Linux with KVM or Xen as host, with Windows as guest with hardware accelerated graphics. For that, having VT-d as working option would be nice.

How are you passing the disks into freebsd? My understanding was that hyper-v didn't actually handle pcie pass through?