Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I just bought some gear and was about to put all the stuff in my case.

Coming from an E8200 Dual Core to a I3570. I noticed that the secondary power plug is an 8 pin where the power supply has a 4 pin. I totally forgot to research power supplies, I have a thermaltake 600w PSU

I've seen on various other sites that some motherboards come with a sticker over it saying that you only need to use half, that the 8 pin is only needed if your overclocking. Is this still the case, or am I looking at a new PSU as well. If so, I'll finally go moodualar to reduce all the clutter.

Motherboard is a MSI Z77A-G43.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I had the same problem with my Intel Z77 board. It wouldn't POST with the 4-pin and I had to get a new power supply.

Yeah, I tried it and it boots but doesnt get to POST. New PSU it is. Which is okay as I will probably use the old parts as an XBMC machine for the living room.