Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

JawnV6 posted:

But a monopoly on x86 isn't worth what it used to be.

Especially since the huge push to mobile means ARM at this point - I was looking in the stats of a website I'm running with a client, and out of the something like 650,000 visits last month, nearly 60% were classified as mobile - iOS and some form of a billion android devices was 99% of that. And this isn't a site that appeals to someone that is technologically savvy - if anything, it's the opposite.

That's nearly triple what it was last year - and Intel isn't selling those chips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

Toast Museum posted:

Tech-wise, what would Intel gain from buying AMD? GPU know-how seems like the big thing, but what about on the CPU side?

Basically nothing - anything important is already covered under their cross-licensing agreements.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

roadhead posted:

Direct revenue from these chips might be small, but the name recognition could help push APU laptop sales at retail. Knowing that your potential new machine has the "same" guts as the PS4/new XbOX would possibly sell quite a few machines to the uneducated.

Non-technicals have no goddamn clue what's in their console or laptop or phone or whatever. It's both not something they understand, it's ALSO something they don't give a poo poo about.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

bull3964 posted:

It's going to be interesting though to see the same thing happen to the phone/tablet market that happened to the PC market. Devices will become "good enough" and upgrade cycles will lengthen and all the tech pundits will yell about the falling sky.

Mobile devices like phones have a bit more attrition due to damage and such than computers do - and they're also viewed as status symbols and fashion accessories.

I'd wager we're an incredibly long way out from that being a factor - more on the scale of decades than quarters.

bull3964 posted:

It's going to be interesting though to see the same thing happen to the phone/tablet market that happened to the PC market. Devices will become "good enough" and upgrade cycles will lengthen and all the tech pundits will yell about the falling sky.

Intel will always have a place pushing computing density forward in the datacenter and I'm not so sure that ARM has a place in the datacenter anymore due to the growth and advancement of virtualization.

Three years ago I could see the logic of 10 ARM webservers stuffed in a 1U chassis for low cost compute density, but now you could do twice as many on a single 1U R620 with a couple of Xeons and still have capacity left over to do other nonspecialized compute stuff as well.
Mobile devices like phones have a bit more attrition due to damage and such than computers do - and they're also viewed as status symbols and fashion accessories.

I'd wager we're an incredibly long way out from that being a factor - more on the scale of decades than quarters.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

roadhead posted:

I dunno, having the same shiny foil sticker on both prominently displayed might even get the mouth-breathers to notice. Maybe.

Right, but you still have the problem of getting people to both know who the gently caress AMD is, and why they should care - consoles are an appliance, and they care about playing Halo, not about the cpu in the thing.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

Shaocaholica posted:

Ok, here's an easy to read compare of the same hackintosh from my earlier post:

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/compare/1715188/1713982

Same hardware so that can't be an issue. No GPU reliant tests so that wont be either. Some tests have horrible swings in favor of both OSes but windows wins overall.

I wonder if the reason for the difference is fundamental to the way *nix systems handle memory or just the OS X specific implementation of it.

Edit: I can't read.

cstine fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 13, 2013

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

So I just bought an Asus Zenbook Prime UX31A (i5/128gb SSD/4GB RAM) and I can still return it for 25 more days. I love everything about this computer and am wondering if I'll be able to get the same thing but with the Haswell poo poo inside of it?

I know there will be comparable Ultrabooks but I'm curious if I should just return this thing now and wait and see? I hear it's just better at everything: graphics, speed, battery life but I need it by August so I don't know if there will be an ultrabook for me at that point?

You needed it and you're happy with it? Then use it and don't worry about a better thing that may or may not be coming up in a few months.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

Cicero posted:

Is that "available on date of release" referring to laptops, desktops, or both?

It's all speculation until Intel and the OEMs announce anything - it's just some analyst spouting his opinion. Probably he's right, but there's nothing official until it's actually announced by involved parties.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

necrobobsledder posted:

I remember seeing the iPhone announcement and Steve Jobs hoping they'll get 10% of the smartphone market on a slide while I laughed going "Wow, that's ambitious, they don't even have 10% of desktop or laptop sales." I didn't realize that Nokia, Blackberry, and Palm would fall flat on their face versus the iPhone 3G and that Google wasn't quite ready with that Android acquisition from years before. Now that's a CEO underpromising and overdelivering if you can see it.

What's even more astounding - 10% of the smartphone market in 2008 IS NOT even remotely close to 10% of the smartphone market now.

I don't think ANYONE saw smartphones exploding like they have, and the fact that nearly every legacy smartphone vendor (nokia, rim, palm, sony ericcson) hosed poo poo up so badly they're all bordering on being out of the market (or already are) entirely.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

Cicero posted:

Really? I mean wasn't it a given that with enough time, eventually every phone would be a smartphone? I'm trying to remember my attitude back then but it's hard.

In 2007, we were talking junk like windows mobile 6.5, blackberry os 4, symbian, and still ancient junk like palmos.

They were absolute garbage, and iOS was the first "smartphone" that wasn't a buggy junked up pile of poo poo covered in crapware in the US.

I'm not even sure i'd call the original iPhone a 'smartphone' - it just had a browser that wasn't garbage, and it was shiny.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

hobbesmaster posted:

But that's all smartphones were back then, a phone with a terrible browser and terrible email support.

And 3rd party apps - which was the big missing thing at the iPhone launch.

But no, I really don't think ANYONE expected smartphones to blow up, because at the time, they were all clunky expensive piles of junk.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

Install Gentoo posted:

So? They were more popular then PDAs had been, and we'd already seen "cell phones in general" reach billions sold by that time. As well already knowing that regular computers had taken off.

The only question back then was "when will everyone have a smartphone" not "will smartphones ever be popular". Heck at that point a lot of features once considered exclusive to smartphones - like real data connections, browsers beyond WAP, music playback, screens that could actually show something besides text - had started appearing on regular phones.

And for what it's worth, for Intel, getting the iPhone SoC contract wouldn't have necessarily guaranteed success in the mobile arena. Not only have there been a lot more other smartphones sold and tablets, but Apple could have switched off of Intel to do chips on their own just like they did with Samsung's ARM CPUs from the original iPhones.

Those pre-iPhone/Android smartphones were pretty bad - you're looking back through some rose-colored glasses and being smart enough to figure out which end is up on a power button - my mom couldn't figure out how to use her RAZR, and she's on her fourth iPhone - and, don't forget - Android looked like a Blackberry until very very late in it's development cycle.

As for Intel? No. I don't think it's fair to look back and go "Haha look at those idiots, not getting on on mobile". At the time it wasn't really a profitable market, and at the time I'd wager their forecasts made perfect sense based on prior data. That said, I expect them to make a LOT of headway in the tablet side of the market, myself. Being faster rather than being completely concerned about getting a full day of battery life out of a tiny little battery makes perfect sense for that market - though I expect there'll be chips that'll give ARM some competition on the phone side, too.

Win 8 on tablets is actually pretty good, but ARM for that market makes no goddamn sense - the only reason to run Windows anywhere is the gigantic library of software.

Win 8 pro tablets on the next gen atoms are entirely on the list of stuff I'm going to have to look very very closely at before buying anything.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

WhyteRyce posted:

Yes, I'm imagining a world where Intel is flinging 14nm SOCs out the door as fast as they can make them while TSMC is still trying to figure out 20nm and INTC is riding a rocket to the moon.

Honestly I don't think there needs to be an enormous amount of imagination there - if there's ANYTHING Intel is good at, it's process engineering.

I'm not sure the real competition in this space is TSMC anymore - I'd say you should be watching Samsung, who is already taping out 14nm chips, while TSMC is sitting there unable to make 28nm GPUs in volume due to poo poo yields.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

Factory Factory posted:

That's different. On one hand, Ivy Bridge got the 7-series chipsets even though Sandy's 6-series chipsets could support IVB processors with a BIOS update. On the other hand, there won't be a socketed Broadwell, so it's a bit irrelevant. It won't be possible to get Broadwell without a chipset and stick it in an old board.

The next "Enthusiast" board will be for Skylake, excepting any overclocking-but-not-socketed Broadwell SKUs.

Though, Intel has said Broadwell will just be lower TDP but otherwise performance-equivalent with Haswell, so that's not really a big deal.

Anywhere you're using a socketed chip you probably don't give half a poo poo about the TDP.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?
Actually, that raises a question - something like a Xeon E3-1230 isn't particularly more expensive than the similar Ivy Bridge chip - are the Xeons going to stay socketed, regardless of what Intel does with the 'consumer' line, or is that something that hasn't been discussed at all?

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

Factory Factory posted:

1) it wouldn't be able to sell new PCs to people who already had one, as there wouldn't be an upgrade available

Well, but isn't that basically very much close to what the current situation is? If you have an Intel CPU from the last two years, there's almost zero reason to buy this new one, and, if you follow the roadmap and public statements, not much reason to worry about Broadwell either.

Sure, Haswell is better on battery life, and that's good for mobile, but frankly, we're more limited by how much power the screens on these things use, and the current state of battery tech than anything else.

From outside of the industry (and more stuck in the 'what do people buy and how do I make money supporting this' view), I'd say that what happened is that Intel no longer views AMD as any sort of threat at all (which is pretty much true) and is scared of ARM eating up all the growth markets, leaving it very little reason to give a poo poo about what desktop/high-power laptop performance is anymore.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

Factory Factory posted:

Unless you're buying a thermally-constrained device like a laptop or a tablet, form-factors which sell more than desktop PCs and which Haswell is a vast improvement for.

Or, for that matter, if you're buying for the enterprise or other high-density computing environment, where yearly power and cooling costs can exceed the cost of new hardware.

Right, but for the tablets/phones wouldn't you be using Silvermont Atoms rather than any of the (unless I missed a few) announced Haswell chips?

As for the enterprise market, yeah. I have a few friends who work places like Softlayer and Akamai who would LOVE lower power use/thermals and don't give much of a poo poo if it's faster, as long as they can put twice as many in a rack.

I think what's occured here is that Intel has shifted it's attention out of the enthusiast market, because it's so tiny as to not even be a blip compared to cellphones, tablets, and whatever new Macbook apple is selling this quarter.

Edit: that, and there's not any real competition in that space anyways. AMD still hasn't got anything competitive, which means the market will result in people buying Intel even if the generational improvements are modest to undetectable.

cstine fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 7, 2013

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

Factory Factory posted:

For phones, absolutely yes. For tablets, yes on the low-end. But Haswell has the -Y UULV SKUs for high-end x86 tablets, with ~12-14W TDPs and ~7W SDPs (scenario design power - the system will spike to TDP as temperature allows, especially when switching loads between cores and GPU, but run at the SDP for long-term steady state).

I hadn't seen those - any idea when they'll show up on the market?

I've kinda had my eye on a proper x86 Win8 tablet, but was going to wait a generation or two, since WinRT is a mess, and the Surface Pro seems an awful lot like a halfway-there product.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

bull3964 posted:

I'm just not sure how much further you can innovate the desktop space based on what people use their computers for. For the past 2-3 year, the most substantial upgrade you could do for general computing was install an SSD, not upgrade a processor or graphics card.

Even in enthusiasts brackets, games have been limited by consoles for the most part.

I think most of the next few years is going to result in much better graphical fidelity in games - but due to nothing involving the CPU. GPUs have gotten remarkably fast, and since they're now putting 4 and 6 and 8gb of ram on the cards (and, combined with the fact that you're not stuck in 256mb-land on the next gen of consoles - especially not the PS4) you're going to see games using bigger and bigger textures which directly relate to games looking loving spectacular - look at Bioshock Infinite, which will use as much vram as you can throw at it.

Part of what I'm bemused about is that for the first time in the last 10 or 15 years, I'm not going to be on a 1 or 2 year upgrade cycle - more likely this is going to be a 5+ year cycle, since there's no reason to worry about upgrades (for a desktop) until MAYBE Skylake, maybe.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

Shaocaholica posted:

You're talking as if you're bound to fail. Its not brain surgery. Would you pay someone $100 to delid your Haswell if it came with a no-DOA guarantee? Because I'll take your money :getin:

Isn't it just a matter of cutting some adhesive on the edge of the lid?

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

HalloKitty posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure that's true. Especially with the massive article AnandTech did recently, showing even low end AMD CPUs within spitting distance of the best Intel has to offer (in certain games) when you're playing at resolutions people might want to actually play at, you want GPU grunt out the rear end. Also, even with the best Intel Iris, we're not talking about something incredible here. More importantly - we're finally seeing a return to very high resolution screens, and exceeding what we had previously (although I'd wish they'd stop it with the 16:9).

Well, at 1440p, you're limited less by your CPU and far more limited by your GPU - hence the near-linear scaling by just adding more GPUs.

And notice - the dual/quad GPU benchmarks show a HUGE favoritism to Intel CPUs.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

Alereon posted:

Keep in mind we were talking about Ultrabooks, while a dual-core CPU with Crystalwell might be better at gaming, that's a much less capable and balanced CPU for an Ultrabook platform that's strictly TDP-limited. It seems like if gaming matters that much to you you'd move up to an HQ-series quad-core with Iris Pro graphics and be willing to accept the thickness and weight.

Well, and frankly we're talking about a CPU that'd end up in something like the 15" rMBP - if they can fit a quad i7 and a gt650m in there now, a GT3e and quad haswell isn't going to be an issue.

Not exactly a requirement to have a 17" giant 5lb "gaming laptop" or anything like that.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

Palladium posted:

Since I live like 10,000 miles from a Microcenter I don't really get the big hoo-ha about the Pentium AE since even when paired a cheapest Z87/97 board, the B85 + i5 4590 that costs only a mere 20% more crushes it relevant real world benchmarks. Far less priceworthy than the $180 E6300 Conroes IMO.

The Microcenter deal *is* why it's such a great deal - that i5-4590 is $199 by itself on Newegg, or double the cost of the whole bundle.

Otherwise, yes, it's not a fantastic deal since it needs a Z87/97 board - just get an i3 instead.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

Rime posted:

Yeah, reverting to stock was the first thing I did. it just doesn't seem to play nice when rendering the input from a Wacom tablet for some reason. Spikes to 100% and stays there till it's caught up to the pen. :shrug:

Weird. I've got one at 4.2ghz and zero issues with Photoshop CC/Lightroom CC.

I assume you're on 8.1 and current versions of CC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

teagone posted:

Shot in the dark, but does anyone ITT have any old/spare socket 1150 motherboards laying around? Either ITX or mATX. I want to build a modest gaming PC for my goddaughter (she only really plays Minecraft and Roblox) but don't really have much to spend. I have a bunch of spare parts already (i3 4330 CPU, 8GB RAM, and an RX 580), but will be shopping around for a case and PSU on Black Friday/Cyber Monday. Hope someone here might be able to help me out with the motherboard part as I don't really want to brave eBay or the hardware swap subreddit. I posted a thread in SA-Mart for an ITX board but got no bites :(

I do, heh. It’s an Asus h97i-plus mini itx I grabbed for a failed cube hackintosh ages ago. Not sure it works but that’s easy to test if that meets what you need.