Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Bung
Jun 7, 2004

What about the children foo'?
SO glad I didn't put my order in last week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Bung
Jun 7, 2004

Do you think there's a bunch of AMD head honchos sitting around a table somewhere, chuckling?

Even with this recall crap Bulldozer's going to have to do something pretty amazing to edge out the 2600K...

Mister Bung
Jun 7, 2004

NativeAlien posted:

Rumors are that SB boards could start shipping in as soon as a few weeks.

I am so close to buying a drat MB and just setting up my system, I don't think I can even bother waiting. I want to play through my Steam Library damnit!

Mister Bung
Jun 7, 2004

Picking up my AsRock Extreme6 MB tomorrow and assembling my first (personal) cpu for years tomorrow.
Geeky christmas titters all up in my insides!

Well, as long as my existing PSU isn't faulty. Are there any decent ways to test if my CPU will be able to handle the load?

Mister Bung
Jun 7, 2004

Factory Factory posted:

Prime95 or Intel Burn Test. If it can run Prime95 for 24 hours or IBT for ten minutes, the processor is stable. You'd need something else for full load (i.e. stressing the graphics card, too), though. And maybe a multimeter to get actual voltages.

EDIT: I actually mean PSU not CPU. Whoops!

Cool thanks. This PSU (Corsair HX 620w) was being used in my old AMD2 machine that poo poo itself when the mobo crapped out, never to return. I can't be sure it wasn't the cpu or the PSU being screwey I guess (I think it shat when I plugged a USB drive into the front mounted USB slots on my tower) but I've had it running in an i5 system with no problems.

Mister Bung fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 4, 2011

Mister Bung
Jun 7, 2004

Factory Factory posted:

PSU problems are usually a differential diagnosis (i.e. like an episode of House except you don't have House helping out). Unless you have an oscilliscope, there's no way to rule them out, and you have to look at history and symptoms to give you a good probability that it's a PSU problem.

The thing is, most of the more subtle PSU problems (i.e. those that can't be detected by a voltage monitoring utility or a multimeter) present as poor system stability, so running Prime95 or Intel Burn Test (or, better yet, a video card test suite or a game or do a GPU-accelerated render of some HD video while running SETI@Home) will actually indirectly point at PSU problems. If you can run the system forever when you're just dinking around, yet a high-load test instantly leads to instability, that's a sign of a PSU problem. Most CPU instabilities would build up regardless of the amount of load on the processor.

Though with the problem starting when you plugged a USB drive into the front ports, that sounds like it's a Southbridge problem on the motherboard, and you don't have to worry about the PSU. Especially if you've been using it since without incident.

Awesome thanks. I never even got it close to load in the previous system so I didn't think it was so stressed it'd kick the bucket.
Sandy Bridge here I come!

Mister Bung
Jun 7, 2004

LiftAuff posted:

Sounds like a short when you plugged in the drive. Just curious but do you use a Cooler Master case?

No it was a big fuckoff Lian Li server case.

EDIT: Getting the Antec Nine Hundred TWO v3 for its USB3.0 ports this time round

Mister Bung fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Bung
Jun 7, 2004

I have my cpu, ram, card, case and PSU just sitting here next to me - just like it has been for over a month now waiting for my RMA'd Asrock Extreme6 MB to come back in.
Was told 2 weeks 3 weeks ago, was told 2 weeeks again early this week. I just wanna play some games damnit.