Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
Currently have an 8700k.
Am I fine just ignoring anything CPU related until DDR 5 comes out? Like if I were to wait until I wanted to buy new everything for a generational upgrade, would DDR 5 be a good line to draw?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!
I have this trusty old Latitude E6430 and the i7-3720QM is a little hand dryer, even after replacing the fans and heat sink and disabling the Nvidia GPU ... I guess that’s why.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

quote:

Rocket Lake is a codename for Intel’s desktop x86 chip family which is rumored[according to whom?] to be released at the end of 2020 or beginning of 2021. It is based on the new Willow Cove microarchitecture backported to the older 14nm semiconductor device fabrication.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_CPU_microarchitectures

Gawd this poo poo's confusing. I thought Ice Lake was the Microarchitecture, but turns out it's the chip and the Microarchitecture is Sunny Cove.

And Willow Cove is the next generation after Sunny, but they're not all 10nm, now.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!
ah n/m

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 29, 2020

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!
I always go with: if it has a unified memory architecture, and textures go from storage straight into GPU memory it‘s not a PC
DMA straight from storage into GPU memory

Efb 3x

There’s also a secure enclave type of embedded arm processor that first runs at boot that I forget the details of. See some reverse engineering articles on the PS4; too niche for mainstream.

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 31, 2020

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!
Oh cool. Nice to see that stuff in production.
Azure Sphere / Pluton is only something I saw talked about two years ago, right alongside the Mirai botnet. it fell outside mainstream tech media, and out of mind.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

K8.0 posted:

Yeah I feel like that is a fairly common thing in the modern era. I've done it plenty of times with games with lovely startups. Just leave the fucker running from the second time I launch it until I'm done playing it, and if I feel like playing something else I do. My time is way too valuable to sit through 30 or 90 seconds of loading bullshit dozens of times.

Ya, you’d think they’d pack as much loading as they could in those “Powered By Speed Tree” screens

I haven’t looked into this too closely, but the new Xbox is supposed to be able to suspend and load at the drop of a hat. Dump the contents of ram to disk and and reload something else.
Thing is, it’s a console, MS controls that single fixed hardware spec with no 3rd party drivers.

How possible is this kind of per-process suspension on a PC?

(Though as a developer, I can’t imagine working on some code that deals with datetimes or network and the OS says “you’re going into carbonite now, and when you come out, act as if nothing happened, LOL”

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Oct 16, 2020

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!
that makes sense, FWIW, they had Dave Cutler of NT kernel fame working on Xbox.

Anything to prevent Mechwarrior or Twilight hacks where an adversarially crafted save file is the first step to having a softmodded console.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

silence_kit posted:

The YOSPOS AMD or Apple thread had an interesting discussion about this subject. Why is the Apple laptop chip so good? Four possible reasons were identified.

1) Independent of the chip design, Apple is using a better Instruction Set Architecture than Intel. Of course computer-oriented people would want to attribute the increase in performance to a computer-level idea.

2) The Apple chip is just better engineered than the Intel chips, independent of the different constraints put on the different products.

3) Apple, being a computer system company, and not a computer chip company, does not need to make a profit on the sale of their computer chips. Because of this, they are able to make their chips much bigger than Intel, and this gives them an advantage over Intel independent of how well-engineered are the two chip designs.

4) TSMC has a manufacturing process advantage over Intel.

I don't know which of the 4 reasons is most important. Maybe they are all important. Thoughts?

New memory controller allows for a single core to saturate the available bandwidth to ram; allowing for very fast single core performance. DDR 5 provides an additional 50% bandwidth so 2021 2022 will see an even larger jump

Posted from the Apple m1 thread here’s all the bug workarounds listed on my system with workarounds
code:
cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep bugs
bugs            : cpu_meltdown spectre_v1 spectre_v2 spec_store_bypass l1tf mds swapgs taa itlb_multihit srbds
Those definitely add up, and apple doesn’t have to mitigate this in software ... yet.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

Beef posted:

Yep, this is why corporate machines need more firepower than a chromebook or 2/4 threads. Although more threads don't help much if McAfee decides that now it a good time to scan your entire HD.

my current nodejs project for work will create about 200k files.
code:
$ find . -type f | wc -l
  222949 <- file count in directory
so - if I was running windows, and the scanner decides this is anomalous behavior and decides to scan the files before they're written or accessed , performance goes out the window

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

Gwaihir posted:

CPU wise, absolutely, at least in raids.

Oh man… WoW was built in an era when multiple core systems weren’t the norm. It’s not like the WoW client is single threaded?

It’s like - even on a modern system there’s an upper bound on performance of Quake 2’s software renderer and games like Crysis. The one core gets pegged to 100% and that’s it

WoW doesn’t have these problem any more right? The guts of WoW aren’t still stuck in the design decisions of twenty years ago

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jan 25, 2024