Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MTW
Dec 30, 2004

by angerbot
Intel charging X dollars for the ability to overclock is downright evil. I say that fully aware that by buying a new processor (it's time for me to do so) and board I am supporting this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MTW
Dec 30, 2004

by angerbot
Oh, what the gently caress? HW virtualization is gone on the K models? Yeah, not buying Sandy Bridge now.

Why the gently caress can't I have both overclocking and virtualization?

MTW
Dec 30, 2004

by angerbot

Alereon posted:

You get VT-x, but not VT-d. Check movax's post up the page a bit for details of what these are. In short, it probably doesn't matter for desktop virtualization applications.

Oh, ok. Am I losing performance by giving up VT-d? I often have two or more virtualized machines running.

MTW
Dec 30, 2004

by angerbot

movax posted:

Theoretically, yes, you are. What CPU do you have at the moment, and what virtualization software are you using? For example, if you have a i7-860, that supports VT-d, so by going to a 2x00K, you may see decreased performance if your VMs make heavy use of host hardware like ethernet or a RAID controller.

Q6600 and Vmware Workstation. I do make heavy use of the ethernet controller in my vm(s).

I don't even know if my current processor supports VT-d, to be honest. From what I read on google, it does.

Would I be better served by buying an i7-860, a new board, and new ram?

MTW fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 4, 2011