Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill

demonachizer posted:

These are wholesale prices correct? One would assume they would be much more expensive on the retail level or no?
Those prices are at the retail level as far as I understand. At least the Swedish site that was referred to earlier was a retailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Dr. Gaius Baltar posted:

I'm planning on buying a 2500K when it's released on January 5th, just in time for the big early January holiday sales season. I wonder what are the chances that I'll end up regretting not getting Bulldozer over this. Say, if Bulldozer is released in June 2011 and has 30%+ more price/performance.

This Q6600 has been sitting in my PC for 3 years now.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20101105133510_AMD_to_Start_Production_of_Desktop_Bulldozer_Microprocessors_in_April.html posted:

Production candidates should be ready by February and the initial production of the company's first desktop microprocessors powered by the long-awaited Bulldozer micro-architecture is scheduled to start in April next year. Probably, the launch of the chip will occur around the same timeframe.
Now first, that is a site I've never ran across before, so I don't know how much you should trust it - I got there by google. I seem to remember that Q3 2011 was mentioned here as a release date for bulldozer but I may be mistaken. Second, no one seems to have any idea how Bulldozer will perform, while SB already has been tested to a certain performance. Perhaps Bulldozer will smash it to bits but that would be very surprising to me at least. I don't really see it being worth the wait (probably "famous last words" here), especially since thinking like that would make you never buy anything technology-related.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Does anyone know if (U)EFI will be the default on the motherboards coming out with SB (which would be sweet!)? Think I saw a video by some Swedish site previewing UEFI, but I don't know if it was a SB-related thing or not. Anyone?

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

And even if the first EFI implementations are just as bad as BIOS, isn't EFI upgradable in a much more feasible way than BIOS, so that when the actual good implementations arrive, everyone (more or less) can reap the benefits?

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

kimcicle posted:

I get the same thing in CPU-Z, for what it's worth.
Same here, so almost certainly a CPU-Z thing then

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Ika posted:

After my order was pushed back 2+ weeks, I picked up a 2500K locally. However everything inside the CPU box appeared to be flipped 180 degrees, which I noticed because the CPU wasn't fully visible. Has anyone else had this or did I get a return? (Seals were still fine, heatsink is unused, but I managed to open it without damaging the seals as well, and the inside of the cover flap had marks on it from the 2 inside flaps).
Mine was flipped too now that you say it. Didn't bother me that much and the CPU inside is chugging along just fine.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yeah, from what I gather, if you ONLY use the 6.0gps ports (there should be four of them at least) then you will never have to deal with any problems. So really, there should be no problem at all waiting for April, when you should just replace the MB out of principle.

If I am incorrect please correct me.
Sucks for us with 3 SSDs or similar in RAID though ...

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

movax posted:

Sorry, I'm a bit hungover, so I can't really tell if there's any sarcasm intended, but the parts my Sandy Bridge build replaced did filter down to be "just" my fileserver (C2D w/ 8GB RAM). I'm sure another four years from now, my Sandy Bridge parts will find their way to the server.

I'll defend it by saying my fileserver runs VMs and stuff too :downs:
Mine doesn't (gave away 4 of the 8GB ram I had though), but it is so much cooler, faster and quieter than the Athlon 2800+ that was previously in that thing, that fact alone makes it worth it. I'm sure in 3-4 years time SB will move to the server as well.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Oh god the thread will hate me but I actually don't think they look bad at all :ohdear:

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

mayodreams posted:

Just doing a simple GIS for video card box art delivers.

Well, arguably they weren't wrong about the tagline at the top.

More ontopic: I honestly had higher hopes for Skylake. No USB 3.1 support on chip seems like a cop out. I've been following the thread quite closely, but it's quite unclear to me still what the next desktop chip will be post-Skylake. I guess it's not all that strange since many chips have been pushed back by now. What's next at the moment though, Kaby lake? Released 2016 sometime? I was expecting to upgrade to Skylake but at this point I figure I might as well keep the 2500k a while longer.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Tab8715 posted:

What do you get out of USB 3.1?

I'm a little unsure of Intel's new roadmap but Skylake is a tick with Kaby Lake and Cannonlake both tocks.

It seems that we shouldn't get expect substantial CPU Performance gains until 2018 - the next tick.
As for 3.1, future proofing and less hassle when installing Windows (separate drivers are a bitch). The 2500k has lasted me 4 years so far (with an external USB 3.0, mind you), I fully expect my next system to last me as long or longer. Might just wait for Kaby or Cannonlake either way, 2018 seems a bit of a stretch.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

Oh man, the first video card I ever bought was an ASUS GeForce 256 when I built my first computer in 2000. I think it might have been the V6600 Deluxe because it came with 3D glasses (that I used once).
3D-glasses: The mistake TV makers can't wait to redo.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

WobblySausage posted:

The core of this rig is about six years old now. Could it be TIM degradation or a loose heatsink maybe? I haven't touched the thermal paste since I initially installed my CPU. I want to pass this down to a relative while getting an upgrade, but not if it's unsafe.
Don't mean to call you out but how would you rate your own thermal paste job? There are many youtube videos out there showing how to do it properly (pea in the middle unless you know where the core is, if so string works too). I'm running on 4 years on my SB-system; I can't remember how I put thermal paste but I probably did it terribly wrong - yet my temps doing a prime95 just now is is around 75ish degrees - and the air circulation in my chassis is sub-par. Non-stock cooler though. Point is, your thermal paste-job is probably the biggest factor in keeping your processor cool.

Oh and it will never be "unsafe". The worst thing that will happen, should your processor think "it's getting a bit hot in here ..." is that it'll throttle itself down to a safer speed. We're past the AMD Athlon-frying-itself-days.

Edit: There was one more page :downs:

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Ehhh, 50%/5GHz was rare but some people got them that high on high end air cooling, 40%/4.6GHz was pretty average, 30%/4.2GHz was what you got on a bum chip.
TIL I got between a "bum" and a "pretty average" SB chip :( 4.4 was as far as mine would go, admittedly with sub-par overclocking skills.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

LooKMaN posted:

ASUS does.

:swoon:
If a motherboard has anything else than an Intel NIC as the main chip, it immediately gets crossed off my list. Why do motherboard makers even try with anything else nowadays?

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Verizian posted:

What are you supposed to do if you've got an i5 2500k running at 4.6Ghz on air, love the single threaded performance for gaming but could really do with more cores? My phone shoots 2160p video which is a major headache to edit and render compared to 720p/1080p. Not to mention trying to record and mix multiple 24bit audio tracks using a DAW like Reaper.
A i7 Skylake, or if you're loaded and/or insane, dual Xeons.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

I learned today he is actually trying to throw money down a hole. This is his express purpose. We're going car shopping later :homebrew:
He's more than welcome to contact me to get rid of his 4790k so he can buy a ricier car. I'm not saying he's dumb, he probably got his reasons, but I am saying I'd love to rip that thing off him for cheap.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Krailor posted:

Well they can, just at 30Hz.

They will do 4k60Hz over DisplayPort but then you have to figure out how to get audio out.
Seems a better idea to just wait 1 generation more and get the whole shebang natively over HDMI then in regards to OPs question - I haven't looked closely but I'd be more than surprised to see any receiver having a DisplayPort connector. Probably ever. Even ignoring the fact that it apparently can transport audio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Hello thread. I decided to upgrade (buying used) from a 2500k to a 4790k because for some reason changing graphics cards half a year ago made me unable to overclock my 2500k anymore. No idea why, but good god is this thing old either way. I'm getting some fancy 16gb of 2400mhz ram to go with it, anyone knows how important speed is on Devils Canyon? I have another 8gb laying around from my 2500k but that's rated for 1600mhz so I'm thinking putting it in would just lower over all performance anyway since I'm not using a lot of RAM at any given point.