Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Something is definitely wrong. Double check the heatsink to make sure its seated properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

horriblePencilist posted:

I dunno if it's the heatsink. Temperatures look normal.

Are those temps at idle or running the benchmark?

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

mayodreams posted:

I worked with a small 2D/3D graphics company as they started growing and I had work very hard to break them from overclocking their servers and workstations. Overclocking is fine for gaming where the workload comes in short to medium periods, but running a workstation into the ground by overclocking it for real work is a very bad idea.

What you are paying for in a OEM workstation class machine is reliability and fast turn around on hardware support. Woe is you the first time that one of your overclocking gamin' rigs breaks and there is a production issue and lovely motherboard manufacturer won't do an advanced RMA.

At that point it's still probably cheaper to have various spares on hand if you're competent at replacing hardware in a small business scenario. Big corporation? gently caress it, use what they give you and make the IT dept deal with broken machines. :v:

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Has it been 100% confirmed that Broadwell-E will still be on the old X99 platform?

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Newegg has the i5-5675C in stock :aaa:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117554

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
For shits and giggles I ordered the 5675c. Checked again and now they're outta stock. Worst case it's meh at best and I can resell it.

Pairing this with an ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac ITX board I picked up for 60bux. We'll see if it's that much faster compared to my 2500k :v:

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
If the stock Intel HSF is difficult to install then you must have idiot hands. :v:

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Psmith posted:

I appreciate all of the replies - they confirmed a lot of what I had kind of suspected: that the 2500k is basically amazing and I could continue to stretch it out even now 4 years later. I'll likely order a Hyper 212 and see how it fits in my case. I guess the whole thing kind of hinges on how badly I want to build that second gaming PC.

If I end up doing that I will likely get an i5 6600k, a new full sized mobo and RAM for the current PC. Then a case, HDD, PSU and mid range GPU to combine with that i5 2500k for gaming on the projector. The prospect of having a reasonably spec'd second PC might just be too tempting to pass up.

Save some cash and get one of those Kangaroo PC's to stream games from your main PC on the projector! :eng101:

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Picked up a 5775c for slightly less than MSRP that's now running at a marginal 4.1GHz. :shobon:

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
That new NUC is sweeeet.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Sinestro posted:

I used to use a 1U server as a media PC, sitting on a piece of wood in my living room. It certainly added an interesting sense to movies.

I sure hope it sounds like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2P7p6VLlbo&t=7s

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

RaffyTaffy posted:

Maybe one of you can help me ID what this is.

I assume it has something to do with testing the Pentium M but I have no clue what the SPT stands for.

Looks like something along these lines: https://hubslide.com/stntkiller/ate-testers-overview-s56d32fa6c48f80826925e9db.html

Production line testing/binning, maybe.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

Why not go for the fully legit E5-2670 take-outs that are on ebay for ~$65 each?

That sounds like a worse idea than modern ES procs.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Kaby Lake-X seems entirely pointless. I wonder if they're trying to phase out overclocking on the 1151 socket and push unlocked chips up to 2066 only in the next lineup.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I don't really see the point at all of passive watercooling now... there's always a pump noise, the overclocks aren't going to be "amazing", and it's never going to run fully passive like big air heatsinks can.

Pumps are quiet as heck. The fans are the loudest thing in the AIO I used to use along with my current custom loop.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
8700k with 16 pcie lanes right?

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

The 24 lanes via the PCH are rather homeopathic. People keep saying that running graphics at 8x makes a negligible difference, that's not something everyone wants to settle for. Put NVMe on the PCH and there isn't much bandwidth left for other stuff. 10GbE is about to get popular, and seems like every power user has a NAS, guess how that'll work together. I wonder if Intel goes wider the next general release, or if more lanes will continue to be a HEDT thing.

Yah, need lanes for SSDs and such, too.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I'm surprised nobody made double-tongued USBA ports that you can plug in from either side.

I have some of those. They blew my mind when I realized they were reversible USB-A.

edit: these ones https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FTFFH8U/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Looks like they tried scraping the paste off the die with a razor.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
First glance at the first presentation slide I thought it said "Increasing the price of innovation".

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Zeta Acosta posted:

how much mileage can i get from a xeon e31246 v3? i had a i54430 for seven years and never had a problem with it

That xeon is basically the i7 haswell variant of the i5. You'll be getting hyperthreading and a good bit higher clock speeds. Will probably last quite a good bit.

i5 https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/75036/intel-core-i5-4430-processor-6m-cache-up-to-3-20-ghz.html
Xeon https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/80916/intel-xeon-processor-e3-1246-v3-8m-cache-3-50-ghz.html

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Zeta Acosta posted:

What's the Intel equivalent of the 3600x?

i5-10600K maybe

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Cygni posted:

At the time, the 14nm launch (with the mythical Broadwell parts like the 5775C) was considered a "disaster", lol

if only they knew what was to come

I had one of those and it was a fantastic processor at the time. I gave it to a friend...

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
I feel like that's being blown way out of proportion. It's very clearly marked on the page...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Doesn't DDR5 have ECC built in?