Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phantom Limb
Jun 30, 2005

blargh
Try reseating the CPU. I had similar issues after I replaced my HSF until I removed and reseated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantom Limb
Jun 30, 2005

blargh

cstine posted:

Honestly I don't think there needs to be an enormous amount of imagination there - if there's ANYTHING Intel is good at, it's process engineering.

I'm not sure the real competition in this space is TSMC anymore - I'd say you should be watching Samsung, who is already taping out 14nm chips, while TSMC is sitting there unable to make 28nm GPUs in volume due to poo poo yields.

Yeah, nobody has the resources to catch up to Intel process-wise. Even Samsung is 6 months to a year behind on 14nm (Intel had working prototype Broadwell on 14nm in like May of 2012 or earlier, while Samsung was taping out a test chip in December) and TSMC/GloFo are basically lost causes at small process nodes at this point. TSMC's yields are poo poo while GloFo isn't doing FinFET or 14nm until 2014.

Phantom Limb
Jun 30, 2005

blargh

movax posted:

IMO it's more of a computer engineering position, but depending on what your school considered EE you might have the skillset for it, which is primarily HDL, OVM/UVM, experience with Cadence/Mentor/Synopsys/whoever simulators and a familiarity with the silicon you're debugging (computer architecture in general, maybe experience in CG if you're doing graphics stuff, comms if you're doing wireless, etc).

e: and if you job search you can find out Intel is doing some kind of stereographic 3D imaging gizmo.
e2: and I like how none of the positions want VHDL :getout:

Validation also sucks imo and unless you're specifically passionate about it, you'll just be miserable. I know some people who did verification as a stepping stone to design work and they basically hate life.

Phantom Limb
Jun 30, 2005

blargh

movax posted:

This is my opinion on it also, but then you have:

so people like different things. I have similar views on testing in automotive and other industries; driving a car until it breaks is kind of fun and awesome when you're fresh out of school but 10 years down the line, I'd be hoping you're far far above that, but again, that's my opinion/feelings.

I feel like validation would be amazing if you were autistic. (no offense Henrik/anyone)

Fair enough. I think my perception of it is also colored by the fact a lot of younger engineers at my company got shoved into doing validation since there was no other work, and they pretty much universally hated it.

Phantom Limb
Jun 30, 2005

blargh

JawnV6 posted:

In this case, it'll come from the ARM ecosystem, a diverse set of companies competing for every facet of the design process. They're at the low end of power/performance now, but history is littered with big high-end companies that had the low end of their markets taken away by companies who learned while doing it and worked their way up the value chain.

I like Microsoft's strategy re: Win8 and WinRT in this respect. They're forcing Intel to be honest and not rest on their laurels in terms of Windows low power performance while still getting a cut of the action. WinRT may suck, but at least it's forcing out better and better iterations of x-Trail Atom processors on the x86 side.

Phantom Limb
Jun 30, 2005

blargh

WhyteRyce posted:

Price isn't given but Haswell in Chromebooks just seems interesting but weird to me.

Seems reasonable enough, Javascript needs a burly CPU to perform well, and it's not like they're putting in Core i7's. That kind of speed/battery life balance could be neat in a $300 laptop. Chrome OS is still silly though.

Phantom Limb
Jun 30, 2005

blargh

WhyteRyce posted:

It would just be weird seeing a HSW in a <$300 product. Although I guess the <$300 thing is just an assumption since there were Chromebooks that cost more

Yeah, I agree that it's pretty weird, especially since I didn't even realize that Intel's gonna be making Pentium and Celeron branded Haswell chips. It looks like Asus's Chromebook is gonna be using the Celeron 2955U, which is priced identically to the Celeron 847 that's used in their previous $200 Chromebook. There's probably a subsidy from Google involved too to push adoption of the OS.

Phantom Limb
Jun 30, 2005

blargh

Eau de MacGowan posted:

I was thinking of getting Shadow of Mordor. The listed minimum required CPU for the game is an Intel Core i5-750, 2.67 GHz. I have an i7-3630qm clocked at 2.4ghz. Would my processor be able to handle the game due to having extra cores or whatever, or is the game too much? I'm pretty out of touch with the whole specifics regarding processors, and I don't quite understand the difference between quad core/dual core etc., apologies if this is a stupid question.

You should be perfectly fine.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-3630QM-vs-Intel-Core-i5-750

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantom Limb
Jun 30, 2005

blargh
Intel hasn't used tri-channel RAM since loving 2009. He should be fired since he obviously can't stay within 5 years of current best practices for large capital expenses.

Edit: plus the boards never actually required tri-channel, it just gave a performance boost for memory-bound applications on the i7-9xx chips

Phantom Limb fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Oct 4, 2014