Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miasma
Jul 26, 2005

straight up dawg.
I just ordered a pre-built PC a day before the news went out. As far as I know they will still be sending it to me (2500k, ASUS Sabertooth). I read that if you already have an outstanding order they will make the computer and either send you a new board or you can send the computer back. I understand that the problems will not immediately impact performance (in fact it may take years). I guess my question is that if I am just a typical user (web browsing, games, word processing, etc.) will I even need to switch the board out? I don't plan on running more than one optical drive / hard drive. Will anything even be plugged into the affected ports?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miasma
Jul 26, 2005

straight up dawg.

glitch77 posted:

Got my Asus Sandy Bridge mobo and i7 2600K on the way yesterday. :catdrugs:

I emailed every last (reputable) vendor on the web until I found one that had sent all but two back. I got one and so did someone else. So I can't be of any help, but this is just a 'look at me gloat' post really.

I have one of the way. If I just have one hard drive will this even impact my system? I doubt I will ever even use more than 2 ports, so I don't really think I'm going to worry about canceling my order (though I will take the new mobo they send).

Miasma
Jul 26, 2005

straight up dawg.

glitch77 posted:

It will only affect you if you use the 3gb/s ports and not the 6gb/s ports. Every if you do its a 15% chance over 3 years anyhow. :/

So the average user doesn't even use those ports? I'm slightly confused because I don't know much about hardware. Basically if you have a computer with just one hard drive and one optical drive, you never even plug into those additional 3 gb/s ports?

Miasma
Jul 26, 2005

straight up dawg.

Helldesk posted:

"Never" is such a strong word. It would be stupid though to plug a fast SSD into a 3 Gbps port when you have a 6 Gbps port next to it, but my guess is that if you have four ports available, they each have 1/4 chance of getting used. Even those who should read instruction aren't guaranteed to read and understand them.

Bottom line: if you don't use the 3 Gbps ports, they can't break, and even if they do, the 6 Gbps ports will keep on working. With only two devices there are no worries. With more it depends on if the motherboard provides more SATA ports with another controller - those will work too. You only need to avoid the Intel-provided 3 Gbps SATA ports.

Thank you for clearing that up. The reason I said never was because I am type of user that will only open the case to dust it out. The way it comes to me from the factory is the way it'll stay (embarrassing, but true).