Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

MachinTrucChose posted:

Dedicated H264 encoding chip
Niche improvement that seems pointless. Who does video encoding other than scene groups and video professionals? Those people already have dedicated hardware for this. Little Jenny can capture her vlog from her webcam just fine with her current hardware.
I have a 2ghz C2D and encoding H264 is one of the main things I want a faster CPU for. If it can be done without a hit to normal use for anything else I'd find it pretty awesome.

quote:

Integrated GPU that doesn't suck
The only interesting thing so far. But even that will probably do more harm than good. The vast, vast majority of buyers won't play high-end 3D games, so adding 40W to the power consumption (or however much it draws at idle load) of every next-generation Intel-based computer just wastes the consumer's money and rapes the environment further.
It'll give Apple an integrated iX chip solution that'll fit within their board space on their low end, and won't be horribly slow vs Nvidia's IGP that they're using now w/C2Ds (sounds like it's faster?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Doc Block posted:

one problem with this is that apple is pretty big on opencl. the 9400M in my mac mini can at least run GPGPU stuff.
OpenCL can run on CPUs too, I think one of the original ideals was to just run on whatever the hell number of cores and GPU(s) the system had.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

The problem I see is that game performance might get a little negative effect by using Hyperthreading. The Windows 7 thread scheduler is HT-aware, but if for some reason it keeps dispatching secondary threads to an already loaded core, it may affect performance.
Is this a theoretical concern or does this happen with the current HT implementation?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

necrobobsledder posted:

The hardware virtualization acceleration features provided by VT-d are of great importance when your VMs are heavily loaded or you're latency sensitive (graphics, animation). Disk I/O is not really affected by these instructions unless you're running some high-throughput I/O on that desktop system. This is part of why it made sense for VT-d to be removed from baseline Sandy Bridge processors - who the heck running VMs at home has those requirements?
Mac users trying to run Windows games?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Geno posted:

why the hell do they advertise the full price BEFORE the savings? shouldn't it be the other way around?
I was going to say cause it's in store only maybe...but the mobos right below show after savings and in store only as well, so I'm guessing it's an Intel reseller rule to show the full price or something.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Lum posted:

This the first time I've heard of a mini-ITX gaming PC. Normally they're used for car stereos or silly "case mods" where they crammed the entire system into a football or something stupid likt that.

I'm sure if you stuck a mini ITX board on a table and put a modern graphics card in it, the thing would tip over due to the graphics card being heavier and the one single expansion slot being right on the edge.

Sure you're not thinking of Micro ATX?
I want something relatively Mac mini sized but much faster :shobon: (realistically I'll just wait for a SB mini and continue to game on consoles). That Zotac board above is the closest I've seen...of course once you put a case on it becomes relatively huge.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Does i5 or i7 reliably mean anything? Last gen it seemed kinda random whether an i5 or i7 had whatever number of cores, hyperthreading, turbo, etc.

vvv That clears it up, thanks.

japtor fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jan 9, 2011

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Alereon posted:

I'm pretty sure H67 doesn't support bifurcation though, so if they wanted the full PCIe v2.0 x4 bandwidth they may have resorted to connecting it to the CPU, especially if they had any desire to make use of switchable graphics or Quick Sync. If they ran it off the southbridge it would be competing for bandwidth with the other system devices.
Well I'm not sure how much you could really take from it, but Intel's example diagram of TB shows it as connected to the PCH:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I thought Ivy was always 2012 to begin with :downs:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It's not integrated to the 7-series chipset, no.
Is it still an regular optional feature like they mentioned a while back at least? (vs whatever the current situation is, which is something like "work closely with Intel and hope you get parts" outside of Apple)

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I wonder about this quote:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5351/msis-z77-ivy-bridge-motherboards-at-ces-now-with-thunderbolt-support

quote:

MSI doesn't have an estimate on pricing yet but I'm hearing that the Thunderbolt controller should add another $20 - $30 on average to any design.
Just a mixup of consumer price vs manufacturer cost semantics?

Then there's one of the Blackmagic video boxes for $240, vs $200 for the USB 3 version...ignoring the $50 TB cable you still have to get on top of that.

And there's the MSI PCIe box: http://pcper.com/news/Graphics-Cards/CES-2012-MSI-GUS-II-External-Thunderbolt-Graphics-Upgrade-System

quote:

MSI mentioned they were hopeful the price would be in the $150 range which is actually quite a good surprise considering they are going to be including the Thunderbolt cable in the box - an accessory that is notoriously expensive today. 

japtor fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jan 19, 2012

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
There were some other TB cables at CES but no pricing mentioned.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Apple probably goes with whoever is decent enough at whatever price point...otherwise Nvidia has their IGP/discrete switching tech, can AMD's stuff work the same way? That's the only techincal reason I can think of, Apple is crazy for anything that can save on battery life.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Factory Factory posted:

Said the person buying processors costing 4 iPads each.
They're a bargain when you consider the processing power vs the iPad's :v:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Coredump posted:

I just wonder if thunderbolt support will be worth it on desktop side.
Well as long you have enough slots in your desktop and you're a relatively normal user I wouldn't worry too much about it. There was a bunch of pro video stuff shown at NAB but that's a niche. I guess if you had a laptop with TB and got peripherals for that it'd be useful if you wanted to use them with your desktop too. It's still early and most stuff right now is either extreme high end specialty equipment or just really expensive versions of things you can get through PCIe slots.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I'd like it for TV recordings on my HTPC, that stuff is mostly 10-15Mbit MPEG2 so encoding them down would give a huge chunk of space back. That and for when ripping BDs, it's easy enough to play them but I'd rather not use 20+GB/movie when that copy would be pretty much for convenience.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Anandtech got a hold of one of MSI's boards with Thunderbolt:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5829/a-first-look-at-thunderbolt-on-windows-with-msis-z77agd80

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

movax posted:

:words:
...I only got part of what you said :downs:, probably doesn't help reading on a phone.

From what I could get it makes me wonder about some of the current devices when Windows gets actual support for it (like hot plugging and everything). Right now it seems like some things are being tested against Windows just seeing TB as PCIe.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

And SNB-E is still the highest end consumer hardware. As discussed earlier IVB-E and related xeons won't be out for quite a while so there's plenty of SNB related processors still being sold.

As for embedded, Intel will still sell you Pentium 3s if you want them.
Where's stuff like the E3 v2 fit in? Is it just considered a more or less regular IVB part or something? (I don't know the whole "E" nomenclature well to begin with)

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

mayodreams posted:

Right. And like others have mentioned, its not graphics cards that are the bottleneck here, its professional stuff like capture, transcoding, and RAID controllers. Our typical Mac Pro setup has a AJA Kona 3 video card and an ATTO RAID card, which both require a 4x slot. The RED suite has a RED rocket that requires an 8x slot and the aforementioned RAID card.

Apple keeps telling us ThunderBolt is the solution to all of our professional problems, and that just is not the case right now.
That reminds me of this demo from a while back:
http://tv.adobe.com/watch/davtechtable/tech-demo-thunderbolt-macbook-air-red-rocket/

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

mayodreams posted:

Right, I've seen that, and they are not using any kind of storage along with that either. The BlackMagic box is also not as powerful as the Kona3. I'm not saying it won't work in any capacity, it's just not the miracle Apple claims it to be.
There's a Promise RAID there too actually, but yeah I get what you're saying.

Speaking of Kona though: http://www.aja.com/en/articles/183/

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
3440x1440 is the new hotness :colbert:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

KillHour posted:

Pfft. 3840x2160@60Hz (with Display Port) for <$700?

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-28-In...rds=UHD+monitor
http://www.samsung.com/levant/consumer/computers-peripherals/monitors/led-monitor/LU28D590DS/ZN

Yes, please! :flashfap:

It's TN instead of IPS, but gently caress it; 4K, 28" monitor for less than 4 figures.
Completely forgot about 4K lately :v:. Partially cause the price of IPS panels (although I think the Dell 32" is going to be under $1500?) but mostly for actual usability with the current state of software. I'd rather have with 3440x1440 at 1x than 4K with whatever UI scaling, plus I think I kinda like the ridiculously wide ratio for the way I lay windows out on screen.

Alternatively I could get a wider desk to fit more than one display, but I like having just one for the most part :shobon:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Reading this thread kinda makes me feel glad to have a slow computer so I have something to look forward to instead of being let down about the state of CPU upgrades.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
For the -E parts, do the i7 and Xeon models usually come out at the same time or are they staggered launches? Just curious about that since it seems like some stuff I've seen about Haswell-E launching doesn't mention Xeon at all, just the 6 core i7-X or whatever they're called.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Maybe a matter of binning and making a product for every single piece of silicon they put out without regard to clarity? Now that I think about it, what was Pentium before in the Core era exactly? I remember looking at Celerons for a while for stuff cause they seemed like low end Core CPUs at the time, never really thought about how Pentiums fit in.

As for benchmarks, for a raw CPU one there's Geekbench. Just going off the 32-bit numbers cause they're there (single/multi core), so yeah, it seems roughly in the same ballpark:
E5200: 1244/2217 (I guess you'd get roughly half that with your underclock though?)
Celeron 1037U: 1471/2583
Celeron G1820: :iiam:

1037U sounded familiar, then I realized I bought one as part of this board a little while ago. I just use it to run WMC and record shows off a HDHomeRun so I can't say much about performance other than it works for that.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Does Chip Loco have any reputation or is this all likely BS? E5 2600 and 1600 v3 lineups:

http://www.chiploco.com/haswell-ep-e5-2600-v3-specs-35055/
http://www.chiploco.com/intel-haswell-ep-e5-1600-v3-35072/

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Factory Factory posted:

Basically not at all. For some reason I can't Google up literally any of the review articles on this, but even the most beefy of single-GPU video cards lose barely 1% on average dropping from PCIe 3.0 x16 all the way to x4 (or PCIe 2.0 x8).

At 1080p you likely won't even see a full 1% drop, as it shows up more at higher resolutions like 2560x1440.
They show up if you look up "pcie scaling" or something to that extent. Here's one from two years ago:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Ivy_Bridge_PCI-Express_Scaling/

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Skynet will never take over humanity at this rate.

Meanwhile here's old fashioned stuff, some E5 2600 v3 specs/prices:
http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2014/2014080502_Xeon_E5-2600_v3_CPUs_are_available_for_pre-order.html

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Number19 posted:

I wonder if that's going to delay the Haswell-E release?
Doesn't look like it. I was curious about Haswell EP cause there was some PR about it shipping to OEMs a few weeks ago, looks like they're in the same boat as the rest of the Haswell parts:

quote:

Update II: Intel has gotten back to us with some more information about how the TSX erratum affects its upcoming Xeon CPUs.

The launch of Intel's high-volume Haswell-EP processors is rapidly approaching, and the TSX errata apparently won't delay that product launch. Instead, a spokesman for the firm informs us that TSX will be available for software developers to enable "for development purposes" on Haswell-EP, so that their code will be "ready for production" once the higher-end Haswell-EX processors arrive at a later date.

In other words, we expect Haswell-EP to ship on schedule with the TSX erratum still etched into its silicon and TSX instructions disabled via a microcode patch. Those who wish to risk working with TSX in Haswell-EP will have the option to enable it via a firmware menu, but Intel recommends waiting for Haswell-EX before using TSX in production systems.

Since the single-socket, enthusiast-oriented Haswell-E processors are based on the same silicon as the lower-end Xeon EP parts, I'd expect the upcoming Core i7 Extreme CPUs to have TSX disabled in microcode, as well.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Any chance of budgeting in a one off machine just to explore alternatives or something? It doesn't seem like he'll be convinced without a machine right in front of him kicking rear end in your tasks with proof of an equal or lesser price tag (not even factoring in time saved by a faster machine). Might as well get a Kill a Watt to show power savings as well.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
If you want to read up more about it, here's a story from...1996/97:
http://www.fastcompany.com/28121/they-write-right-stuff

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Speaking of FPGAs, has there been anything new about the Xeons w/FPGAs since that announcement a few months ago?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Some info on Skylake Xeons/Purley platform:
http://wccftech.com/massive-intel-xeon-e5-xeon-e7-skylake-purley-biggest-advancement-nehalem/

Kinda wondering whether they'll be publicly selling the ones with FPGA integration or if that slide is just formalizing the customized chip production they've been doing for big rear end customers.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Tab8715 posted:

I need to take a step back and while the performance gains aren't necessarily impressive from the desktop perspective or for those of us power users whom are still on Sandy Bridge but what does it mean of HTPCs and Laptops?
I guess cooler/quieter operation (itself allowing more compact form factors) and better battery life, and/or better performance at the same power envelopes as before, although the speedups have been slowing down there too I think. Otherwise better IGP performance along with whatever other integrated features speeding particular stuff up?

I'm planning on getting a new machine at some point, and realistically afaik everything right now is totally fine for my needs. Looking into stuff down the line is more just picking and choosing whatever new feature set theoretically seems like a good upgrade. Like uh, AVX-512? Hell if I know if anything I use will ever take advantage of it, but if they do it'll go faster! Of course there's no end to that logic, so realistically it's more of a justification to upgrade for whenever my current machine gets annoying enough to use.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Wulfolme posted:

Has there been any reason for Thunderbolt to become popular that has legs? All I've seen for it are monitor hookups for big Macs and serious business peripherals that have firewire, usb 3 or straight up pci-e connected models available as well.
Docks? That's pretty much the closest to a mass market thing I can think of (lots of people with laptops) but that still depends on the idea that people hook up to desktop setups to begin with, and that part might be a sketchy proposition. The big things about TB3 for it are the power, bandwidth, and GPU support (and more standard form factor w/support for standard USB-C cables). Gets the cabling down to one, ample bandwidth for a bunch of crap/bigger screens, and GPU support might be appealing for higher end users (whether games or more serious uses). Still niche, but hopefully a lot less niche than it is now.

Gwaihir posted:

Ahh yea I remember that article now. I wonder if win10 + increased number of CPU driven PCIe lanes will help out with that.
Newer article from the recent news:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/9331/intel-announces-thunderbolt-3

...not sure it mentions anything new with regard to Windows support in general, but the part about Windows networking support and general talk about hot plug GPU support makes me hopeful there. Otherwise generally answers a bunch of questions about TB3, particularly as far as pushing for adoption Alpine Ridge will also double as one of the first 10Gbps USB 3.1 controllers available (aka 3.1 gen 2, SuperSpeed+, or "Extreme USB 3.1"? :suicide:).

And now for a completely unrelated question. I was looking at the Lewisburg PCH and saw the 20 or so PCIe 3.0 lanes on it along with a bunch of other ports, how's that all work with the DMI connection in terms of bandwidth (since that itself appears to be something like an x4 connection)? Is it all just dynamically managed with use and crammed to fit as needed or is there some other magic to make it work?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

Historical question time!

Did the Core '1' Duo share chipset and socket with (early) Core 2 Duo? Would a 32bit Core '1' Duo drop into a Core 2 Duo system and work fine? Of course in 32bit only.
I had a Core 1 Solo (remember those?) Mac mini and dropped in a C2D way back, but no clue about going the other way around.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

That Kaby Lake stuff led me to find out that AVX-512 stuff will only be enabled on the Xeon variants of Skylake? Why's that? No space on the die, ditching the IGP to gain transistors for AVX-512?
Do Skylake Xeons get AVX-512 across the board? If so it's not the IGP cause they're putting them onto at least some Skylake Xeon variants (not talking about E3s) according to those slides from a few weeks back, course that could still be a die space thing considering the Xeons can have bigger dies Maybe they're just taking their time to not gently caress it up like the TSX errata before?

Any chance they skip Kaby Lake for the Xeons and release Cannonlake parts all somewhat close to each other instead of a year behind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
What are y'all thoughts on the rumor that Broadwell EP/EX is getting skipped?

http://www.kitguru.net/components/cpu/anton-shilov/intel-may-cancel-xeon-broadwell-chips-to-speed-up-arrival-of-xeon-skylake/