Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Anyone know if the i7 2600s is going to be available the same day as the rest of the lineup?

I'm re-doing my mATX build, and looking to use the 2600s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Out of curiosity does anyone happen to have any knowledge/info about the i7-2600S?

I usually build my systems around mATX cases, and so I was looking to use it in my next rebuild since the 30W TDP difference seems nice for an mATX system (I do a decent bit of gaming, but I don't overclock).

The i7-2600S is listed by Intel as having been released on the 9th, but so far I've only see the 2600 and 2600K available at retail stores, and the only "S" variant I've seen is the i5-2400S (there should also be a 2500S, which I haven't seen).

Intel's own "boxed processor" info page only lists the 2400S, which is making me think that either the 2600S hasn't started shipping yet, or won't be available in retail. In that case, I'm debating between the 2500 and 2600. :(

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Roughly a week and a half almost after official release, and the only real signs of the i7-2600S are from a dozen or so HP desktop variants that are using it. I guess that's probably where the majority of the i7-2600S's went (large OEMs like HP an Dell).

Anyway, guess it's time to order a i5-2500K or a i7-2600.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It was, but it was Q1. Now it's looking more like Q2.
Given this, I'm glad I didn't try to wait for MBP Ivy Bridge updates.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

Oddball question about old rear end Intel CPU but...

According to Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Pentium_D_microprocessors

The Pentium D 960 came in 2 steppings. C1 and D0 with the C1 at 130W and the D0 at 95W making the D0 more desirable. However, I'm unable to confirm if these wattages/stepping are accurate on wikipdeia. I couldn't confirm on Intel ARK.

http://ark.intel.com/products/series/20864/Intel-Pentium-D-Processor-900-Series

Anyone know if wikipedia is right or not?

Articles relating to Intel's announcement of the lower power consumption appear to support it:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20060615113237.html

and this Tom's Hardware forum discussion also indicated the relevant s Specs:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/188276-28-quot-intel-lower-pentium-power-consumption-quot

Additionally, while that link to the Intel Ark site doesn't specifically give the wattages, it does indirectly indicate that the D0 spec is using less energy as it ha a lower Tcase temperature, via the Package Specifications section:

Intel Ark posted:

TCASE C1=68.6°C, D0=63.4°C

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

pmchem posted:

Same date as the WWDC keynote... unlikely to be a coincidence.

It's also a day before Computex 2014 kicks off. Not everything revolves around Apple.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Agreed posted:

Well, what the gently caress am I going to do with a couple of suddenly last-gen parts? :cry: Never buy and then don't build a computer, it's the dumbest feeling. gently caress you too, bad back.

You could put the parts up on SAmart at a discount, I'm sure there would be interest, and then recoup some of the money to put towards Devil's Canyon and Z97? I'd imagine you'd be able to cover at least 60-70% of the cost. You'd still be out a little extra but hey, super-awesome over clocking! (Possibly)

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Has there been any info on if there will be a Xeon equivalent of the 4790K?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

The Lord Bude posted:

If you manage to overclock the bejeesus out of it; then it can nearly match a core i3. Of course this also relies on buying a more expensive z97 mobo
This is the whole reason why Asrock and others are coming out with the barebones Z97 "Anniversary Edition" motherboards that have a satisfactory power delivery system for overclocking but are otherwise sparse.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

The Lord Bude posted:

ooh, I haven't heard about these.

Ignoarints posted:

I think the best part is that there will be suitable $100 overclocking boards more than anything

I think the intent is to have them be even cheaper than that. I'll have to find the site but I thought at Computex that Asrock had indicated that they hope to have some of the budget Z97 boards down in the $75-80 range. Granted it won't come with the best of features but for a budget gaming system it shouldn't be bad at all.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

People who got a DC from Tigerdirect. They dropped the price $10 on the 4790k. I called in and they are sending me a $10 gift card.

Make sure you stay on them about it. I bought a monitor from them in 2012 and the price dropped within a day or two by $10 also. I contacted them and they said they'd issue a GC for $10 but that it'd take 2-3 weeks to receive. I waited a month, contacted them, they said they'd issue it. Waited another month, nothing, contacted them again and the person on the phone said they had no record of the prior attempts to issue a GC for it. I finally gave up after that.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Cardboard Box A posted:

I thought DDR4 was mostly the same price as DDR3 since DDR3 went up in price? Did DDR4 go up as well?
Since the DDR3 price increase was largely driven by manufacturer's converting to NAND production, I would imagine that the much more limited production of DDR4 would see even higher costs.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

atomicthumbs posted:

That reminds me... will single-GPU setup suffer from performance degradation if I put it in a PCIe 3.0 x8 slot instead of an x16 slot? I'm driving a 1080p monitor with it.

Also, are modern SSDs likely to saturate the connection in a PCIe 2.0 2x slot, or are they not limited by connection?
While I don't think performance is going to suffer, why not just use the x16 slot?

Someone can confirm this but I believe PCIe 3.0 x8 bandwidth is equal to the bandwidth of PCIe 2.0 x16 (though ultimately it depends on how the lane was electrically wired). And I don't think PCIe 2.0 x16 was very limiting to single card situations. There was some concern that R9 290X cards in Crossfire might be limited by PCIe 3.0 when the slots are operating as x8 but I'm not sure if that bore out (and obviously in this instance this doesn't matter).

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 26, 2014

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

BobHoward posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by 'how it was wired'
I didn't state that very well but I was referring to that if a slot is wired for x8, if someone has a PCIe 2.0 card and inserts it into a PCIe 3.0 x8 slot, even though the bandwidth is approximately equivalent to PCIe 2.0 x16 slot, the card will operate at PCIe 2.0 x8 as there are only 8 electrical lanes.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

BurritoJustice posted:

To be fair, you can't actually use SLI alongside a M.2 3.0 4x SSD (like the Samsung is) on LGA1150 without a PLX chip. Honestly if you really had to do it, the cheapest option would be a 4690k/4790k alongside an ASRock Extreme9 (only motherboard I know of with both PCIE 3.0 4x M.2 and a PLX chip, also a good 200 dollars cheaper than other PLX boards). But you shouldn't.

And doesn't the PLX chip introduce quite a bit of latency also? So it might not actually be an option for some either.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

The human eye doesn't observe in frames per second so the whole idea is ridiculous anyway. Military testing on human response time has shown people reacting to images shown at several hundred frames per second, but there's a big difference between what you can notice/react to and the time it takes the brain to actually process the information being observed, and it's definitely not a matter of "the brain can process all the information it receives as fast as it receives it".

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Palladium posted:

they would have saved ~$150 in electricity bills @ 4 hours full load per day alone by now, not to mention the resale value of their parts.
So depending on what they would have gotten for the parts, maybe it'd have been break even since it'd have cost $300-400 easily for a i5-2500K and motherboard.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Palladium posted:

The smart crowd would have easily made a profit by upgrading to a 2500K/cheap P67 combo at 2011 resale prices while getting higher performance all around and power savings gravy, while the not-so-smart ones are still mulling their heads over the sunk costs they paid for their X58 setup.

But part of the whole argument is couched in 20/20 hindsight. No one (outside of Intel) at the time knew that performance would stagnate as it has, and that Sandy Bridge would still be as viable as it is today. So the majority of people would have argued to hold on to Nehalem/x58 for another generation or two and make the upgrade really worth it. Instead, Intel went a different direction to where we are today and so the above argument looks better in hindsight.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Atomizer posted:

If you still use a ball mouse then there are no words to express the pity we have for you. :smith:

On second thought, if you still have a functioning ball mouse that's pretty impressive. :hfive:

Unless you're using it because you're a hipster, in which case :fuckoff:

I've got one of the Apple puck mice framed in a shadow box above my desk to remind me of both the hilarious and sometimes stupidly of Apple designs (and I say this as an Apple fan), as well as to act as a reminder of the craziness of ball mice.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Rastor posted:

That can never happen, there's too much legacy code out there. Unless you think they are so arrogant they would force the switch and subject their users to some kind of slow translated mode for their current software.
Itanium New (tm)

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Platystemon posted:

Exchanging heat with a lake or river is one thing, but making it an ornamental water water feature? I would think that is unusual.

If you want to, say, keep a water feature going in cold temperature areas, a fountain is a great way to do so, since the heat exchanger will help keep the fountain water from freezing up and causing any valves or pumps from seizing, while the extremely cold water will provide beneficial for maximizing heat transfer across the exchanger.

I get to help design closed loop cooling systems for ozone generators and we see a decent increase in exchanger efficiency during the colder months of the year when service water from distribution systems are at their coldest. Fountains work similarly.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Sashimi posted:

I was about to joke about not being hardcore enough if you didn't use a pump with an underground connection to the water table for cooling, then I scrolled down...

A part of me wants to call him out on some of his hydraulics/soil comments but whatever, it's an interesting project.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

I got excited and then saw that it's $1300 and got sad.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

i still find it funny people are legitimately upset and disappointed that AMD 'only' managed to get within like 15% of Intel's latest offering of a decade long refinement process (thats in turn based on an already established design skeleton!) after only a few years of alpha and beta development on a complete brand spanking new design (unless zen is a refinement of the old k6s or whatever)

Yeah, I think some people on this forum built up an idea that Ryzen would instantly surpass all of Intel's offerings, and when it didn't, apparently the release became a greater disappointment than the Titanic.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

SlayVus posted:

If I were to move to X299 with an i9, this would probably be the board I would go with.

It reminds me in a strange way of those tacky fiber optic "plants"/table pieces that people had in the late 80s/early 90s.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

If that rumors shows up a few more times in near future, I consider it true and postpone my upgrade. For realsies, because that's a bullshit Intel move.

FTFY

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Is it wrong that seeing these results now makes me want to buy a 1700 non-X and simply OC it to 3.9/4.0?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

:laffo:

Jesus Intel, it's a mature platform. How do they gently caress these things up?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

MaxxBot posted:

Intel claimed that the Skylake-X was ideal for "12k" gaming by which they really meant 3x 4k screens or something, really dumb either way since no GPU setup can reasonably push that.

You know if that'd been AMD claiming it, Paul would be all over it! :silent:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Intel is one step away from calling all the review sites "fake news".

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

DrDork posted:

But I thought they were re-architected for l33t performance, unlike AMD's glued together cores?

Well you see, that's just a biased test that isn't part of the SW Ecosystem.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

the frozencpu guy literally did this

Is there a complete write up on this somewhere? I was always interested in finding out the full story and what became of the owner.

priznat posted:

Most of Intels fabs are actually in the USA, the assembly sites where the dies are packaged are in places like Malaysia..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_manufacturing_sites

Global Foundries for AMD have fabs all over (including the US)

Yeah, I drive by their north Chandler/south Tempe fab every week.

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 16, 2017

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

So if there's a CL-S, will there be a CL-T variant? Just wondering if it's real or just a myth...

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

I'm pricing out the Plans B to Threadripper for a luxury home NAS with a big-gun Xeon build.

Just use Threadripper.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Khorne posted:

Nah, I have an i7 3770k and it has around 10% higher single and quad core performance than an overclocked ryzen. I paid around $330 for it 5 years ago.
Source? I'm curious.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

The 8700K looks really good but holy poo poo I do NOT want to give Intel my money.

Then don't and wait for the 1900X Threadripper.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Doesn't WD own HGST?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

HalloKitty posted:

Correct, but that doesn't mean the drives are the same. In fact, Toshiba was selling HGST drives for a while even when WD owned HGST because of some monopoly ruling or something.

I think that changed in 2015/early 2016 though and everything HGST branded is manufactured by WD now.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

WhyteRyce posted:

:lol: at the thought of having irreplaceable family photos stored only in Google or Amazon's cloud services.

Yeah, I'm so paranoid about losing my wife and I's various photos and videos (wedding, baby, etc) plus other files, that I have them backed up to two different cloud services (one of which is free), a external WD Red I keep at work, a Airport Time Capsule at home, and both my gaming PC, my Mac mini, and our rMBP.

Every 1-2 weeks I simple create a "backup folder" on a portable external HD and go around replacing the old folder with the current/new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

You're really going to wait a whole year for a new chipset instead of buying a $50 PCI card?

Thunderbolt 3 PCIe cards are available for $50?

I hope these end up true since I'd just go ahead and get a R7 1700 and X370 and call it good. I've wanted to see how Coffee Lake's performance would compare and how it might affect prices on Ryzen.

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Sep 11, 2017