Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

ilkhan posted:

Hibernate is enough data that I wouldn't want to use it on an SSD.

Why? The impression I got from the SSD thread is that you basically don't have to worry about modern SSDs' lifespans unless you actively try to gently caress them up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

movax posted:

:techno:

Apologies if this is a dumb question, but is the situation any better with UEFI?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Install Gentoo posted:

Maybe you should ask yourself why you'd need to worry about your friend giving you a malicious thunderbolt device?

Wouldn't the main risk be infected storage devices?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

HalloKitty posted:

Isn't that tock-tick?
(new-shrink)

That has always seemed completely backwards to me.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Gobbeldygook posted:

You use a full-size desktop card and basically end up with performance equivalent to a mobile version of the same card.

Because of bandwidth limitations on Thunderbolt or what?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
It wouldn't be a bad place to stash bootable diagnostic tools, either, especially if you could disable that port when it's not needed to keep it from being compromised.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Tech-wise, what would Intel gain from buying AMD? GPU know-how seems like the big thing, but what about on the CPU side?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Something something ["subatomic" joke]

Tech Report posted:

IDF — Intel CEO Brian Krzanich dropped a surprise announcement on the attendees of his opening keynote at the Intel Developer Forum today: a new family of processors from Intel, known as Quark. Quark SoCs are intended to be integrated into very small computing devices and the "Internet of things," including wearable devices and possibly smart watches.

Krzanich said Quark SoCs will be very low power and will fit into tiny form factors—about one-fifth the size of an Atom SoC with about one-tenth the power consumption.

What's more, Krzanich added that the Quark family will be "fully synthesizable" with an "open architecture" and "open ecosystem." We don't have too many details about how the the business alliances around Quark will work, but Krzanich indicated that, if companies want to put their own IP into a Quark SoC, "we can support that." He did say Intel plans to keep Quark production in-house for now, rather than allowing production of Quark-based chips at outside foundries.

Quark development is apparently well down the path inside of Intel. Reference designs based on the first SoCs are already "ready to go," and the first product has a name: Quark X1000. We'll be watching for more details on Quark as IDF continues.

Edit: A little more info at Anandtech

Toast Museum fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 10, 2013

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

MrYenko posted:

I'm now putting together a new machine, because either my motherboard, or the i7 930 @ 4.2 that lives in it has finally given up the ghost. Lots of random crashes, even after I took the overclock out. :(

Nehalem was loving BEASTMODE though.

I was hoping to hold out for Skylake, but it simply wasn't to be.

You sure it's not bad RAM? That would get you random crashes too. Not that you shouldn't upgrade, but you might not have to.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Overhead projector sheets are sometimes called viewfoils or foils. It was used in that Intel document in place of slide.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
If I'm not doing, I don't know, video encoding or protein folding, am I likely to see any benefit from 128GB of RAM over, say, 8GB?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

KillHour posted:

You won't see any benefit from 128GB in either of those applications. Maybe if you're running a crapload of virtual machines or crunching big databases.

That's what I get for guessing. Thanks.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Wasn't there a study recently about how at least some big data tasks could be done nearly as quickly and a lot cheaper with a bunch of SSDs in place of RAM? I wonder how this new stuff would do in that sort of application.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

That's just watts, not performance per watt. Picking a random benchmark from Anandtech's comparisons:

Cinebench single-threaded:

Q6600: 2778 CBMarks; 26.46 CBMarks per watt
i7-4790K : 8785 CBMarks; 99.8 CBMarks per watt

That's nearly a fourfold improvement. I admit, the gains in a given year don't seem especially compelling anymore to me either, but it's not like there hasn't been noticeable progress.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

japtor posted:

The MacBook is just a start, eventually I'd expect the big driver to be replacing micro USB (phones, tablets, all those random devices that use USB power, etc). Hopefully. Micro USB can go to hell.

What's so bad about micro USB?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
My desktop's eight years old, so I have no idea what to expect at the low end of newer PCs. Can the current NUCs handle 4K video playback smoothly, or does that still require a beefier machine? If I'm going to get an HTPC, I'd like it to be (relatively) future-proof, and not choking on high resolutions and frame rates seems like the big decider there.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
If I understand correctly, a lot of the "soap opera effect" comes from trying to display 24fps content at 60fps. 24 doesn't divide into 60 evenly, so the TV has to create interpolated frames to pad things out. It should be less of a problem with 120Hz displays because 120/24 = 5, so for 24fps content it can just show each frame for five refreshes without doing any interpolation.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

japtor posted:

I saw some other articles saying dual m2 slots too.

Intel's spec sheet confirms this.

drat, I'm torn. I'd been getting ready to pull the trigger on an i5 Skylake NUC. 4K@60Hz without relying on an iffy DisplayPort adapter would be nice, though, and even though I'm getting the thing mostly as an HTPC, it may be my only PC for a while, so a little extra oomph might not be a bad idea.

My main concern is the extra power draw, since the PC will be in a closed media cabinet most of the time. Am I correct in thinking that idle/near-idle (e.g. I've read that HEVC decode averages like 3% CPU use) shouldn't be much higher power consumption than the lower-end NUCs?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

EdEddnEddy posted:

Sooooo... Whats that tab on the end for?

Skimming the article the photo is from, it's probably an Omni-Path connector for the version packaged as a co-processor.

Anandtech posted:

The connector end of the co-processor has an additional chip under the heatspreader, which is most likely an Intel Omni-Path connector or a fabric adaptor for adjustable designs. This will go into a PCIe card, cooler applied and then sold.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Also, hasn't Intel been pretty up-front about prioritizing low power consumption over increased performance?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

AEMINAL posted:

Was looking at a wiki page for fire extinguishers today and came across this 3M liquid that won't fry electronics.

People naturally use it to cool PCs with a bare die lmao

There are videos on YouTube, looks drat cool. You can see the CPU evaporate the liquid as bubbles when it's hot

Looks like it's not just hobbyists using it, either:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6ErbZtpL88

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Walked posted:

Anyone keeping track of this fun clock issue that's making the rounds?

Apparently Atom C2xxx series processors have a known fault where they will fail hard after ~18month.

I have a DS1515+ thats 17 months old, too.
:negative:

gently caress. I'm in the same boat, just with a little more time on the clock. Thanks for the heads-up.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
That reminded me of this post from back when processors would smoke and maybe catch fire if the heatsink fell off.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
In the US market, maybe it's a nostalgia thing. Like, the kids who were into light-up case fans 15 years ago have jobs and a little money now, and they want a laser show inside their PC.

Personally, one giant purple PC was enough for me. Now my ideal PC is as close to silent and invisible as possible.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I want √2:1 monitors for nice clean multi-monitor scaling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Paul MaudDib posted:

Pretty sure the default Win 10 start menu shows you ads now. Also, so does live login backdrops.

I'm not getting any start menu ads. I don't remember doing anything to turn ads off, but at most I had to turn off something obvious in start menu settings; I haven't done anything with the registry, group policy, or third-party tools to tweak the UI. I've had some relatively low-key ads on the login screen (usually for Office, once or twice for some game), but it's been a while since I've seen one.