Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Kachunkachunk posted:

Cool post. +1 to your nuts.

Really though I was wondering if you might have any idea if perhaps the LGA 1366 (it's not Sandby Bridge, buuuut...) boards like the X58A-UD7 does that as well. I haven't really had any stability problems with the system, but it's great to keep in mind, given how difficult it is to troubleshoot hangs.

On my EX58-UD3R core voltage doesn't seem to deviate much when (C1E/SS) power states change, but with C6 and LLC enabled I noted a sudden split-second jump to 1.4V on an OCCT log. Given my (anecdotal) experience, LLC and C1E's more or less fine, but there's probably a reason why Gigabyte set C6 disabled by default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Alereon posted:

I posted this in the Overclocking thread awhile back, but I suggest anyone in the market for a cooler to take a look at the Thermalright HR-02 Macho cooler for $49.99. It performs almost as well as the $80-$100 dual-fan tower coolers, but only costs $49.99, making it a tremendous value. It also includes a Thermalright TY-140 140mm fan, which is the best fan currently on the market, with the most airflow at the lowest noise levels. Given that the fan retails for $15-20 on its own, it's really an incredible deal. It's more expensive than the Cooler Master Hyper 212+, but the performance is a lot better.
I have an HR-02 and it's a pretty spectacular cooler for low-noise setups with overclocking, and this new model is even better at the asking price.

These have pretty wide fin spacing, so you don't need high-flow fans (they can be run semi-passively depending on your setup) to get good results. I noticed only a 1-2C difference running push-pull with Sanyo Denki 120x38mm fans vs. a single SD fan, so the fan they're shipping should be more than enough for ridiculous Sandybridge overclocks with low or zero noticeable noise.

Keep in mind that it's about the same size as a Noctua D-14, and it's approximately the same height as a TRUE so it's not small by any stretch. The hole in the top is due to the mounting hardware. They ship (edit: not with this version) a long screwdriver which you use to tighten down the mounting nuts that are covered by the cooler. It's the same mounting setup as the Venomous X, and it allows for 70 pounds of mounting pressure while locking the cooler in place on the CPU.

E: The new model isn't shipped with the screwdriver.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 6, 2011

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
Looked in the OP and back a few pages and couldn't find much to answer my question:

My state owes me a bit of cash that's in the processing stages. I'm trying to decide if in about a month once I have it whether I should look at buying a 2600K and a Z68 board I've been eying (upgrading from a D0 920 and would use the HT over the 2500K), or if 22nm chips are expected within 2-3 months. Have been reading alot of conflicting rumors about their (pending) availability. 22nm would be a bigger upgrade given the timetable I'm looking at, but I would probably grab the current generation if they're not expected to drop within the next 6 months.

Basically, any ideas as to how far we are from 22nm, or is it all rumors and guessing at this stage?

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
Apparently THG released some info on a SB-E i7-3960X and pre-production X79 board they got to test:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-3960x-x79-performance,3026.html

Looks interesting, though not all that much better than a 2600K except in heavily multi-threaded applications. I want to say I'm waiting for Ivy Bridge, but I just ordered a Z68 board with a ton of RAMs, so kinda jumped the gun there (although if I can upgrade later that's always a bonus). I'll be happy to be off 1366 at any rate.

Anandtech has some vague information on a 2700K in the pipeline, but it looks like a binned 2600K more or less:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4757/intel-leaks-i72700k

future ghost fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Sep 13, 2011

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

HalloKitty posted:

Predictable and expected, but 2700K is here.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5009/intel-releases-core-i72700k-and-cuts-the-prices-of-three-CPUs

I'm interested to see if they're still D2 stepping chips or if the 2700K is a new stepping, as the 2600K I picked up recently is pretty voltage-hungry. I'm not unhappy with it or anything, but I'm curious to see if they've been binning them for the 2700K release.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

HalloKitty posted:

For all you know, they could be binned identically. I mean really, has anyone ever had a problem overclocking their 2600K by 100MHz?
I can't even imagine it could ever happen, since the chip is obviously designed to scale up to its turbo frequency.. and that's only 100MHz more on the 2700K too.
I want to claim that I was hit with an unlucky 2600K (4.6ghz at 1.38V, and 4.7ghz at >1.4+), but, I mean.. it runs at 4.6ghz, which is just ridiculously-fast. I accidentally went to the first page of the Hardware short questions thread earlier (and got really confused before I checked the date :v: ), but looking around at what we were all using in 2006 vs. what's available now at consumer pricing is just mind-boggling.

So for me, even if they were binning for the 2700K's, I really can't complain about the performance of a 4c/8t CPU quietly plugging along at nearly 5ghz.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Factory Factory posted:

[H] FS/FT? Man, you just know that when they say the part was only overclocked on Sundays by a little old lady, they're leaving out the other six days of the week when some serious Tim Allen poo poo with with drills and a diesel generator went down.
I use a private FS/FT subforum on another site for hardware, and lots of CPU/GPU threads are like "There's conformal coating on X because it was under liquid helium, and the maximum multiplier is Y, also voltmods." :words:

It's ridiculous, but at least they're honest about it.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Vectorwulf posted:

I'm considering an upgrade in the next couple of weeks from an ancient Core2 e5200 to a 2500k system. If I get a less expensive MB, what speeds could I expect to safely overclock to? I'm not too worried about pushing it to its absolute limits, just a bit of extra speed with the stock cooling setup, etc.
4.0ghz with a single change in BIOS, depending on the board. Higher if you go with a cheap cooler like the 212+/EVO.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

incomprehensible posted:

IB is unique as one mfg is shipping bioses with IB cpu support right now. However there is a caveat to IB support: It is not 100% guaranteed. If your motherboard mfg cheapen out on the bios chip, you are SOL.
Crossing my fingers with my Gigabyte board. If it's not supported later on, I can deal, but they have a thorough history of supporting new chips well-beyond when they should. I still have a 965P board from them that runs 45nm quads with a BIOS update. The last socket 775 Intel board that I owned (DG31PR) would run 45nm chips, but it never received a microcode update, so it was convinced I was running a bunch of Pentium-III's. That board was strange in alot of ways though.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

My question is will I be able to do the update without a Sandy Bridge processor in there in the first place? Or should I just return it and grab a new board once the new line comes out?
Srebrenica Surprise posted this when you asked this question in the parts megathread:

quote:

I remember reading something (probably in the IB thread) saying Intel boards wouldn't be compatible with IB like other boards are because they don't have enough space for a BIOS flash or something. Does anybody know if this is correct?

In response to that comment, read this post on vr-zone:
http://vr-zone.com/articles/the-upgrade-path-to-ivy-bridge-might-be-blocked-by-changes-to-uefi/13513.html

Basically, you might be able to drop an Ivybridge chip in it, but it's unlikely that you'd even be able to attempt it without another SB chip to run a BIOS flash (and even then a BIOS update may not allow it as Intel boards have less flash memory to work with, possibly preventing the required UEFI update). Not to mention, if the board is DOA you wouldn't be able to find out within the return window.

Return it as Alereon suggested and wait.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 12, 2012

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Agreed posted:

But the most telling part is that they used dry ice to cool it. That's a step away from using a supercooled liquid (which was required for the giant Bulldozer number if I recall correctly) and not at all sustainable.

They overclocked it to 7GHz long enough to get into the OS and save a screenshot. That's that. Bet that chip and the motherboard it was mounted to are broken, and who knows how many chips died along the way to trying for the "100% overclock!" magic number?
7GHz isn't really that impressive overall, since the link above points out that Nehalem chips scaled higher in earlier benching runs even. This test run doesn't really prove anything beyond that a hand-binned chip can scale with cooling. It's not a reflection on overclocking potential with standard cooling.

Now what would be interesting is if they drop one under liquid helium, which is what most of the high BD runs were achieved under IIRC. Even LN2 results would be neat to check out.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Alereon posted:

Also, TechReport has an article regarding high Ivy Bridge temperatures. In addition to the smaller die size and thus higher thermal density, Ivy Bridge connect the CPU core to the heat spreader with thermal paste rather than solder as in previous products, which leads to higher thermal resistance.
I was reading on overclockers that they had planned to de-lid a few IB chips when they had a chance, however I hadn't realized that someone at pt1t.eu actually did it.

It's really odd that Intel would go back to using TIM under the IHS' instead of soldering the die like they have been doing for years. Only certain recent Intel-made low-end chips (IE the allendale C2D's) have used TIM instead of solder, and they ran warmer with overclocking than the conroe chips as a result. Theoretically, something about the new transistor tech in Ivy Bridge could make soldering the chips impossible, so they went with TIM instead, or that TIM is only being used for engineering samples. That doesn't explain why you'd send out review samples with known thermal deficiencies if you were planning to switch to solder later though.

This is just a really weird throwback to the socket-939 Opteron era, but it certainly explains the higher IB temperatures.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 27, 2012

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

DuckConference posted:

I don't see how the transistor technology would prevent them from using solder, wouldn't the top of the chip still just be a thick layer of silicon nitride?
The only thing I could figure would be that the 22nm transistors or the new gates wouldn't tolerate the soldering process, but I don't understand it well enough to know whether that's a dumb theory (probably).

Basically I was just guessing at anything that would explain why they went back to TIM for these chips.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Fruit Smoothies posted:

I have a Freezer 7 Pro Rev. 2 which I picked up for like £10 recently. I've only ever used these coolers before. I've got no idea if it'll be good enough for Ivy though.
Not really the best choice for IB/SB. The design is pretty ancient and inefficient at this point, especially compared to the price/performance you get from the 212+ coolers.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Shaocaholica posted:

There's a whopping <3% price difference between the cheapest 1333 2x4GB kit on newegg and the 1600 kit. $39 vs $40. Why not?
I went with 1600mhz G-Skill when I built my 2600K system since the price difference was so minimal, so I agree with going up that far.

I sold my 2133mhz review kit though since I'd never use it.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Alereon posted:

I'd say that if you have a 45nm Core 2 and can overclock it, just do that and wait for Haswell. Bumping the FSB speed to the next level (if your board supports it) is easy and really improves performance. I have a 45nm Core 2 Quad 9550 I'm running at 3.6Ghz and it still holds up quite well (performing roughly on par with a stock Core i5 2500K), though the ridiculous 12MB of L2 cache helps. If you have an older 65nm Core 2, then you should probably just get an i5 3570K.

I strongly disagree about the prevalence of CPU-bound games and their future. You're probably not going to be CPU-bound on an i5 2000-series or better, but with the death of the old consoles that held games back and the rise of ultra-fast videocards and DX11 games that may not remain true. It's also important to remember that not being CPU-limited is a luxury limited to modern Intel CPUs: Even the fastest AMD CPUs seriously bottleneck CPU-sensitive games, chopping framerates in half during intense sequences.
I'd argue that it's only a matter of time until we start seeing more outlier games looking for fast i5 or higher CPU's, and offering significantly-reduced performance with older dual and quad-cores (even overclocked). The Witcher II and Mechwarrior Online are two recent titles which practically require fast, modern CPU's for decent performance (with MWO needing a fast Intel quad-core CPU for even low-end performance settings - although it's still "technically" in beta). If modern games aren't a priority you could probably sit on an overclocked C2Q awhile longer, but C2D CPU's are going to become less useful as time goes on, other than duties in basic office PC's. If you're concerned with gaming and you're still sitting on an E-series C2D or an AMD K10, now would be a decent time to look at an Ivy Bridge CPU... especially if you're lucky enough to have a Microcenter nearby.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Nov 22, 2012

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Zhentar posted:

I'm pretty sure everything Thermaltake sells is complete poo poo, so I'd recommend replacing it regardless (With a SeaSonic X650, because everything SeaSonic sells is awesome).
The Thermaltake Toughpower line is actually pretty good, however if it's a 600W model it's probably ancient at this point so it may need replacing.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Goon Matchmaker posted:

You would think Intel would have learned after the FDIV bug that releasing this processor is going to piss off a lot of people.
A third-party USB3.0 controller being required for revision 1.0 processors is very unlikely to cause Intel any prominent issues. People got over the Cougar Point SATA-port glitches relatively quickly. A non-integrated controller is probably a bigger deal on laptops vs. desktop processors though.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

HalloKitty posted:

Haha, let them. I wonder if anyone tried to delid their Sandy Bridge? That would be hilarious
People removed Q6600 IHS' so I'd be surprised if a few fringe-crazies didn't try it on Sandybridge chips:

quote:

the pan method: cut the silicon, flip the cpu with thermal paste on a pan and wedge the blades in all four corners of the IHS. Heat the pan slowly on your kitchen gas heater and wait for a pop. Remove the cpu, let it cool down (VERY SLOWLY) and then remove the solder with either sand paper (2000 grit) or with a thin razor blade. Easy as cooking an egg!

:stare: :stare: :stare:

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Yudo posted:

I am actually looking at a rather high end board from MSI: "Z87 MPower MAX." While it looks goofy, it has a lot of features and is being offered with a rather generous bundled discount. Otherwise its an overprice Gigabyte board or the ASUS Z87-PRO, which is my second choice but more fan headers would be nice. Is ECS like a Biostar?
Don't buy an ECS. They are about on tier with PCChips.

edit: See Alereon's post below about ECS/PCChips. They're still both bad though so don't buy their products.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jun 3, 2013

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Agreed posted:

Edit: Reviewing all the overclocking details, I'm just happy to see that under load my Noctua NH-D14 is still hanging in there as a generally top-5 cooler. I hope that when I do eventually upgrade, I'll still be able to mount the gigantic bastard onto the boards of the time. Noctua is a pretty cool company, I've had a lot of communication with them over some stuff I was curious about, but cool doesn't necessarily mean "will happily provide a mounting setup adapter for a three year old product instead of insisting it's time to buy a new cooler."
That's one of the key reasons why I keep buying Thermalright coolers. If you really wanted, you could get a working standardized mount for a TRUE that fits modern boards from them. Cross-generational compatibility kits own, although I have to wonder how they stay in business since they seem to have a limited sales presence.

edit: Since Haswell's release I've already seen a ton of used 3770K's pop-up. Really considering selling my 2600K right now, although it's fast enough already that I probably don't need to bother other than having a new chip to play with.

Martello posted:

I finally attempted overclocking my Sandy Bridge i7 2600K. I changed the multiplier in the BIOS to 42. CoreTemp says my CPU temp is fine, so no issues there. Everything seems faster, but System still shows a 3.4 GHZ processor. Is there any other way to check how fast my CPU is really running now?
Using the apps mentioned above, make sure that load temperatures and voltages aren't too high (you can use IntelBurnTest and/or Prime95 to check), but if you're not using the stock cooler it's probably fine.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jun 3, 2013

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Shaocaholica posted:

I don't think there was any doubt but it looks like haswell is still using what looks like the same TIM setup as IVB.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?286340-4770k-4670K-IHS-Removals

As of now no data on thermal changes between factory config and post delid/direct die.
That's good. I missed crushing expensive CPU dies like in the AXP era. :emo:

I wonder how long it's going to take before custom retention brackets start popping up everywhere. I guess it depends on whether simply replacing the TIM makes a significant difference like Ivybridge vs. direct-die cooling.

edit: Yeah, that's a good point. You're already paying more for a chip with less features (other than unlocked multiplier), and then they've made it more difficult to get your money's worth out of a chip that's ostensibly meant for overclocking.
VVV

future ghost fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 3, 2013

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Shaocaholica posted:

Haven't you come across any of the posts ITT about popping the IHS?
That would do it, but lol at being literally required to throw out your warranty and risk CPU damage to actually use the specialty chip you paid for specifically to overclock.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Shaocaholica posted:

Pretty much but you also have to stay clear of the surface mount components and clean up all the adhesive from both the IHS and CPU package for the goodness to work. Its mostly physical labor on your part and a few dollars worth of razor blades, TIM and cleaning stuffs if you don't have those already.
Do they reattach the IHS after reseating it with new TIM somehow? I seems like you'd want to secure it in place with some new adhesive since there wouldn't be anything holding the IHS on the die except for the TIM itself. Seems like if the heatsink was large & heavy enough and became unbalanced when mounting/unmounting the HSF, that there would be a small chance you could crack the CPU die. Since there's a small gap by default between the IHS and the die, there would be some room to give on the sides of the die of the IHS isn't secured somehow. Maybe that's :tinfoil: (since I haven't really heard much about it occurring), but it's pretty much how I cracked a x850pro die years ago so I'd wonder if the added weight of modern CPU coolers would increase the chances of it happening.

I missed the AMD delidding era, but I don't remember cracked cores being really common then since they stopped using direct die cooling that you needed a flathead to install (socket 370/socket A).

future ghost fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 8, 2013

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
^^
Bad pump in the H50 maybe? H50's aren't really high-end by closed-loop standards though since you need dual fans at relatively high speeds to get better performance out of them due to the radiator design.

Shaocaholica posted:

The die is pretty much holding all the weight but its also supported by the socket retention mech. You could shim the IHS by something ever so slightly less think than the IHS gap which is miniscule.
I guess it's probably not a serious concern since you'd think commercial shims would be developed for it. Seems like you couldn't tighten the HSF as much as before the IHS removal given that the die is directly supporting the IHS, although with the retention bracket in place heatsink slippage during installation/removal wouldn't really be a problem. Haswell's still pretty new though so there's probably not been enough people de-lidding for it to really show anything yet.

During the socket-A era they came out with a bunch of products like this to prevent damage to the CPUs, although those were exposed dies so the risk of cracking or chipping was much higher than with IHS-covered chips.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 9, 2013

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Aquila posted:

drat this looks cool and like something I want to try. I don't even overclock. And my i5-2500k is really just fine so getting a whole new mobo + cpu is unnecessary at best. Can someone assure me that this makes no difference at stock clocks and that I won't be able to run a giant fuckoff tower heatsink fanless by doing this?
Your 2500K is soldered down, so removing the IHS wouldn't do anything for you. You can remove soldered IHS' but it's vastly more complicated and gains would be minimal at best. Temps could actually end up being worse since the solder connection is probably better than any TIM you could use instead.

edit: If you want to run an overclocked 2500K fanless using case airflow or with a single low-speed fan your options are pretty much: get an HR-02, since that's what they were designed to do. If your case airflow is half-decent you can get by without putting a fan on it at stock, although a low-speed fan is a good idea for overclocking or for 3xxx/4xxx chips.

Can't find an HR-02 for sale anymore but this is about the same thing minus the 60lbs retention nut:
http://www.amazon.com/Thermalright-BW-Support-Socket-Driver/dp/B008YTUN38/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=A3D1M5ET5Z3YT6

This is the same thing with a 120mm fan for $10 less but you'll need a long philip's head screwdriver for the install:
http://www.amazon.com/ThermalRight-Macho-size-reduced-HR-02/dp/B008SAOCHG/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=A3D1M5ET5Z3YT6

future ghost fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jun 9, 2013

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Shaocaholica posted:

I have an old C2D E8190 engineering sample and I haven't had any luck finding a tool that will read temps from it. Real temp is reporting negative values and HWMonitor doesn't report CPU data at all. Am I SOL with an older ES proc?
Try HWiNFO64 or maybe AIDA64 if that doesn't work.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Josh Lyman posted:

You really shouldn't use the stock HSF. Technically it will keep your CPU from burning up, but even a $10 HSF from Newegg will do much, MUCH better.

edit: Oops, this advice is for Ivy Bridge. Don't know if it still applies to Haswell, but it's sound nonetheless.
Given that s/he asked about the height it's probably for a SFF build where space considerations are at a premium. Aftermarket SFF CPU heatsinks are available like the Prolimatech Samuel, but the stock heatsink usually works fine if the chip isn't overclocked.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Shaocaholica posted:

^^^ Thanks ^^^

I might just spring for a cheap Pentium D 945 which only came in a 95W stepping and can be had for less than the cost of dinner. The 95W 960's seem to be non existent on the open market.
I used to have a 940 and it hit 3.9ghz on an old Big Typhoon cooler. A 945 should get to 3.8ghz to 4.2ghz or so on a half-decent modern cooler like a 212+. I'd hope this is a benching thing or something since even a stock C2D like an e6600 will crush it in performance.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
Run a 1M Superpi and weep.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Shaocaholica posted:

How is that possible? The 945 I tested on was 3.45Ghz. Thats not that far off from 3.7 of the 965 to be almost 2x as fast.
That's a Deneb Phenom-II 965, not a Pentium-D 965.

I got very close to the same superpi times on a basic Haswell i3 the other day that I did on an old 4.2ghz i7 920 chip. The single-threaded performance on the newer chips is just crazy, although without factoring in SSDs or something there's not really any noticeable differences between them in day to day usage.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
I'm not really feeling let down by my 2600K. It's nice having a ~3-year-old PC where the only upgrade I've wanted is the GPU. I did get a bigger SSD though as the 128GB 830 was feeling a little cramped.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
1st results are up for the unlocked G3258 Devil's Canyon Pentium chip. The other submissions so far aren't impressive as a hypothetical unlocked Haswell i3 could be, but ~6.862ghz is pretty neat for a dual-core on liquid nitrogen, and for being an early result it's already higher than the record e8400.

edit: Kinda wish it was possible to search ES and retail CPUs separately in HWBot results.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jun 9, 2014

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Cardboard Box A posted:

I'm in the boat where I have a 2500K (that goes to 4.0/4.1GHz) that's going on 4 and a half years old at this point, which is when the Parts Picker thread says to get a new PSU, so I might as well get a new case and upgrade already.

Based on the PCPer review, the 4790K seems to do a good job of matching the Performance Per Dollar benchmarks of the 2600K.

Is a Devil's Canyon that is 4GHz at stock and can get to 4.4 finally a decent Intel upgrade? Or should I keep waiting for the even newer DDR4 chips?
It's probably going to be a decent upgrade sure, although I just pushed mine up to 4.6ghz a few years ago and left it so I haven't really noticed any slowdowns yet.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
All jokes aside Diablotek gets thrown around as a negative brand (they are) but the gold standard for all-time shittiest power supply will always and forever be the Powmax Demon.

The Newegg reviews were incredible :allears:

future ghost fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 20, 2014

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
That's what I did to find a good G0 Q6600 back when I bought mine, although I went to one of the Tigerdirect/CompUSA stores here since we don't have a Microcenter. The clerk was really patient given that we had to go through at least 15 boxes to find the right batch numbers.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

SwissCM posted:

I wonder how many goons know about the torrent forums SA used to have...
Intel CPU and Platform Discussion: I would, actually, download a car

Rime posted:

I feel sorry for you kid, it's going to be a rough awakening when you hit the real world. :allears:

In actual Intel discussion, I bought a Pentium Anniversary chip to hold me over till Broadwell launches. I'm really glad it's such a cool running piece of silicon, because the case is literally a cardboard box for the foreseeable future as well.
I bought one of these recently for a family member and it flies compared to the Q8400 it replaced. Really cannot complain about the desktop performance for the price.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
It's a little warm but not particularly dangerous. Installing a new CPU cooler usually requires removing the motherboard from the case. Some cases provide cutouts in the motherboard tray for replacing heatsinks, but they can still be difficult to install with the motherboard connected. For stock speeds or low overclocking something like a 212+ EVO would work, with higher-end options available from Phanteks, Thermalright, Noctua, and others like Xigmatek at various price-points. Some of these coolers allow re-mounting in the future without needing to remove the motherboard after the initial install, although you're unlikely to need to replace the CPU at any point so it's a less important feature than it was in the socket-775 era. Alternatively there are closed-loop liquid coolers available from various companies.

If you're just planning to keep the CPU at stock then the default cooler is probably fine. If you think you'll overclock it eventually or you just want it running quietly then you'll want to look into a better cooler, knowing that at some point it will involve removing the board.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Oct 23, 2014

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

In general, how good are those haswell-based pentiums when compared to an i3? Trying to put together a nice, small form-factor build for my GF's mom who will mostly use it for Quickbooks and email.
A G3258 would be fine for desktop use. If you're trying to impress her, save the difference from the i3 and put it into a SSD.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

SlayVus posted:

No Gravitas

Go with a Noctua NF-A14 iPPC or Noctua NF-F12 iPPC fans. Industrial fans, some are made with 4-pin PWM, with have a high static pressure. Pressure is what you want to push air through radiators and the like.
This but 2x Sanyo Denki H1011's on a controller.

Or just say gently caress everything (your ears mainly) and get a Delta GFB1212VHW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

SteviaFan420 posted:

Is it safe to order two of the same 16gig ddr4 kits and not run into compatability issues, or do I need to order a 32gig kit?
It should be OK if they have they have the same timings.

Not sure about the other Intel mobile stuff, but they make some socs for phones like the RAZR-I which had better battery life than the RAZR-M base model somehow.