Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Dali Parton posted:

I expected more of a jump from my old i7 930 to my i5 6500. Haven't really noticed any difference outside of entirely CPU bound games.

What video card do you have? I got a buddy who is still using an i7 930 with a gtx970 who is finally thinking about upgrading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Dali Parton posted:

What sort of games does he play? Id imagine it would be a worthy upgrade if he's a Sims fan, likes MMOs, or Paradox grand simulation games since those sites are especially CPU hungry.

He plays kerbal and killing floor 2.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

prevent heat from getting to the cpu in the first place, smart thinking

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Asrock is Asus now though aren't they? I think msi is the only major brand I've never used for a motherboard before. I've had various problems with everybody else at one point or the other.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

HalloKitty posted:

No, ASRock started off as a division of ASUS some time ago, then became their own entity.

Hm, am I thinking of Abit that Asus bought? And then killed off.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I have one Intel board that is affected but its end-of-life, not sure if Intel will ever give me an update.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Would we all be using some iteration of Itanium if not for amd64?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Oh hey Intel actually posted an updated firmware yesterday for my Q77 board with the ME exploit. :) But the link just goes to a 404. :(

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Khagan posted:

Crucial and Kingston have less failure rates in their RAM with the latter having some of the shortest heatspreaders and thus better compatibility in the HyperX range.

Seasonic's Prime Titanium series the leader in PSUs.

Crucial has always been my goto for ram. Their lifetime warranty is pretty much no questions asked in my experience.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

sauer kraut posted:

Am I the only one who finds the i7-8700 not-K the most appealing?
For lazy people who just want a hassle free rig, plug one into an inexpensive Asrock pro4 board and never look at a Bios or software with knobs and numbers again. (quickly enabling auto-XMP ofc)
Of course the Intel fuckers left a blank space where a decently clocked i5-8500 should be :smith:

I haven't bothered overclocking since the early '00s when I was still a poor dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

KKKLIP ART posted:

Yeah I was hoping for more of a drop in replacement because I can’t totally justify a new system. I think I can hold off because it’s more of a ‘it would be fun’ and by an I need type of deal.

If you just want to mess around then there's really no need for more cores. Really the problem you're more likely to run into is not enough memory.