Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
So is overclocking typically done through the BIOS? I'm pretty new to this, but I've read through the overclocking thread and understand the general way the process works. I'm just a bit unsure about how you actually go about setting the multiplier and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I've got an i5 4790k in my system. I had been debating upgrading to whatever the newest architecture is, maybe even jump from i5->i7 to make stuff like EU4/CK2/etc run faster but I'm getting the sense now that I should just wait till late 2018/early 2019 to consider any upgrades to the CPU/Motherboard.

Is that accurate?

edit: Also it seems like I should rely on just the Windows update and not try and flash my BIOS or anything to fix the Meltdown/Spectre bug. That correct?

axeil fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 18, 2018

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

BIOS may be needed for Spectre, Meltdown should be fixed by Windows update.

Are motherboard manufacturers even issuing BIOS updates for Haswell? I've got an Asus board and I saw in the past few pages they were a little more proactive than the rest but still not going back that far in terms of patches.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Wanted to get everyone's opinion on this. Currently on an i5 4690k and it's finally starting to have some noticeable slowdown/bottlenecks (Paradox games are basically unplayable after about 100 years, Python is slow as hell). Is it best to buy an i7 8700k now or wait for this 9000 series whenever it comes out? Reading the discussion in the past few pages I can't make heads or tails of what the right call is.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

LRADIKAL posted:

Have you overclocked your K chip?

No :negative:

I'm on a stock cooler and I worry about stability as my system tends to run hot in general.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Space Racist posted:

I’d invest in a nice CPU cooler now and look into overclocking. Assuming you’ll upgrade to a 9600K, 9700K or 9900K down the line, you’ll need a cooler anyway as they don’t include them anymore.

Oh good to know. Do you still have to do crazy surgery if you replace a cooler because of thermal compound? I haven't replaced a cooler since the Athalon XP days in the early 2000s.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Winks posted:

put a backplate on the motherboard

Does that mean I have to take the whole motherboard off the case? Sounds like this might be more involved than I want to get into rather than just waiting for the 9xxx series.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
so are the reviews out now? seems like from what y'all are saying if you get a 9xxx series chip you better run some crazy watercooling setup or everything will melt. is that accurate?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

TheFluff posted:

The i5-9600K is most likely perfectly fine under air cooling. For gaming there is very little reason to buy anything more expensive than that. If you want 16 threads the Ryzen 7 2700 offers an amazing deal at $250. The only reason to buy a 9900K is if you're doing something incredibly specific and weird like streaming a very single thread-bound game like DotA2, using x264 encoding on the CPU, and you're comfortable with blowing several hundred dollars extra instead of using very slightly lower quality encoding settings.

I play a lot of Paradox games and they seem to slow down horribly with my i5 4690k so I wanted to at least go to an i7, possibly an i9 if it really helps.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

TheFluff posted:

I don't think it does. AFAIK most Paradox games (with the possible exception of HoI4) are mainly bottlenecked on singlethread performance. OC your 4690K to 4.5GHz if you can and if you're not satisfied with that get a 9600K and overclock it to 5GHz. Six cores are still more than enough for the foreseeable future.

Hm, thanks for this. I'm going to wait and see if in a few months anyone has done any HOI4/Stellaris/CK2 benchmarks between all the chips to make my decision.

The i9 does seem like overkill though after reading through Anandtech's review.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
So it seems like this new generation is basically impossible to get a hold of unless you pre-ordered. Is that accurate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Lockback posted:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117958

????

You mean just the 9900k? That is hard right now to get a hold of, but the first month of release of intel is usually in and out of stock, it was for the 8700k too. The 9900k is kind of a specialty part and has high demand too, so it'll probably take a while to get stock stabilized.

Edit: Newegg also has the 9900k, but at a steep markup as opposed to the moderate 9700k markup. But it's still available.

Oh nice!

I'm thinking of getting one for a Christmas present for myself.

What's the recommended motherboard to use? I've historically been using ASUS but I heard some rumor that they've got an issue with voltage on the new generation. Is there any substance to that?