Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glitch77
Apr 22, 2006
Got my Asus Sandy Bridge mobo and i7 2600K on the way yesterday. :catdrugs:

I emailed every last (reputable) vendor on the web until I found one that had sent all but two back. I got one and so did someone else. So I can't be of any help, but this is just a 'look at me gloat' post really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glitch77
Apr 22, 2006
It will only affect you if you use the 3gb/s ports and not the 6gb/s ports. Every if you do its a 15% chance over 3 years anyhow. :/

glitch77
Apr 22, 2006
Just letting anyone that cares to listen know;

The heatsink that comes with the i7 2600K is absolute garbage. It it smaller than the old Pentium 3 coolers and at stock speeds (3.8ghz turbo) with Prime95 running 8 threads it instantly starts to throttle because of temps (98C !?!).

Buying a cooler with an i7 is a complete must if you don't want it running at 200+F during high loads.

glitch77
Apr 22, 2006
I reseated it three times (first time was with the stock goo, second with AS3, third with ASC) and got the same results every time. Installed a new (huge) cooler master cooler and now it idles at 22C and never gets above 70c at 4.2ghz.

Maybe a bad heatsink? I dunno.