Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

The LGA2011 variant this fall is going to have 40 or something lanes.

And, apparently, 4 memory channels instead of the usual 2 for 1156 or 3 for 1366.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

Remo posted:

What if you are not using LAN, but using a USB wifi dongle instead?

Then it won't affect you unless at some point you decided to use the ethernet ports.

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

Siroc if the cooler is the pushpin style one intel loves to use then a scary amount of force is often necessary to get it to seat correctly and less really is more when applying the thermal grease (TIM).

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

R1CH posted:

I'm hitting 40c idle, 65c load at 4.0 GHz with no voltage tweaks. Does this seem kind of high before even tweaking the voltage? I'm using the Hyper 212 Plus and the base was pretty uneven where the heatpipes were which seemed a bit odd.

Did you use the pre-applied TIM or did you add some to it or did it not come with any TIM pre-applied? If you applied your own its possible you used too much. What is the ambient air temp of your room and did you disable the powersaving features?

Combat Pretzel posted:

I have the stock cooler on the i7-2600. There's that tool called Core Temp. When running the OCCT CPU test, the temps shoot up to 90°C. Are these readouts normal, for CPU internal sensing?

Also, the Asus setup tool has hilariously bad start up times.

Provided the readout is accurate that is way way way too hot, especially if its stock clocked. Same questions apply to you as R1CH.

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

zachol posted:

My i5-2500k with no overclocking and stock cooling seems to vary between 40 degrees C during normal use and up to 70 degrees C when playing games.
Should I be worried? My case has pretty bad airflow, but even sticking a desk fan right up against the mesh of the case at the processor doesn't really cool it off much (maybe 2 or 3 degrees).
I've done some googling, but I'm getting conflicting information. Apparently 70 degrees isn't "overheating" (80 degrees would be worrisome), but people are also reporting significantly lower "idle" temperatures.

Whats the ambient air temp? What case? Have you ever installed a cooler like the stock cooler before?