Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Going for a Asus Sabertooth, Core i7-2600 and 16GB RAM. Everything's here but the CPU :(

I'm honestly curious to know what people are doing with so much RAM? What could you possible need that much for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006

Wedesdo posted:

How far have people gotten their 2500Ks in terms of OCs?

I'm running at 4.65GHz at 1.35 Vcore via a CoolerMaster Ultra 212+ on the el-cheapo Gigabyte P67A-UD3. It boots into Windows at 5 GHz on 1.4 Vcore, but crashes immediately afterwards. I don't think it's safe to bump the Vcore any higher, sigh.

This is the exact combination of CPU, mobo and Heatsink I just ordered, with approximately the results I was hoping for.

This fellow seems to think that the cpu has a bit more leeway as far as voltage goes, though I don't think I'd ever go to 1.5V.
http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/908782-sneak-peak-my-sandy-bridge-overclocking.html

But 1.4 should be plenty safe 24/7 by the sounds of it. Have you managed to get a bit under 5 GHz stable on 1.4V?

Also, what kind of temperatures are you getting?

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006

Paino posted:

How does the P67 UD3 compare to the UD4?

I read UD3 doesn't seem to be ideal for sli/crossfire and doesn't overclock as well as an UD4. Does this means anything for the "enthusiast" who will just do some mild overclocking? What do you consider would be the 2500k sweet spot between the two?

It isn't ideal for SLI since one of the PCI-e slots is x16 and the other only x4 (whereas the video card needs x8 minimum, or x16 ideally).

Where did you read it doesn't overclock as well?

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006

LiftAuff posted:

There is a post up on OCUK saying not to exceed 1.35v and that anything above 1.42v will kill the CPU.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18227652

Well that's a good idea - to get more than one person's opinion. I work pretty conservatively myself so will probably do the 1.35v thing.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006

LooKMaN posted:

In 2 years a midrange card will almost certainly poo poo all over GTX570 SLI.

Yup... it'd be like buying a second ATI 3870 instead of just running a single 6850 right now.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006

Wedesdo posted:

Right now, I have:

4.75 GHz (101.1 BCLK * 47)
VCore 1.37V in BIOS, 1.358 actual idle, 1.31 load
QPI/Vtt 1.14V
System Agent 1.155V
PLL 1.88V

Temps at 100% 60 C measured by the motherboard utility, 61/68/68/69 C measured by CoreTemp.

Stable on OCCT for 2 hours now. If this stays stable, gonna try for 4.8 GHz at 1.38V. Not going to go higher than 1.385 V in the bios (which should equate to 1.375 V actual idle and 1.33 V load).

Mmmmm... 4.75 stable is nice. I'm just hoping for a solid 4.6 after getting a bum E8400 chip a couple years ago that never managed to to go more than 3.4.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006

movax posted:

Parts arrived today, can't wait to go home!

FrozenCPU shipped my heatsink adapter to the wrong address, now I have to wait until Friday :negative:

I'm getting crazy blue balled... my package has been in town for two days, and I still won't get it till tomorrow because Purolator doesn't know how to ship a package.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
Turns out my package came yesterday so I was able to build the system - however the Coolermaster 212+ HS/Fan was out of stock, so I have to use the little stock one for now.

Was only able to manage 4.2Ghz @ 1.325V for now... Idles low 30s, and highest I've seen after torture test going for 3 hours is 72C. I really haven't spent much time with it though, I just know that it BSOD'd when I started Prime95 at 4.4Ghz, so I backed it down to 4.2.

I hope I get a lot better numbers with the bigger cooler once it gets here..

One thing I noticed is that all of the programs (like CPU-Z, RealTemp) were showing my core voltage as 1.06v... Coretemp is the only program that showed my voltage as 1.35v (it was set 1.325 in BIOS).

Kashwashwa fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jan 13, 2011

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006

dud root posted:

Not that I want to defend the twist clip thing, but they're probably designed for OEMs to install CPU & cooler in under 10 seconds

Yeah, I found them to actually go in unbelievably quick and easy.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006

chutwig posted:

Considering the last time I built a computer was in the days of Thunderbird Athlons, I found this mounting design to be a hell of a lot better than "try futilely to lever very tense metal clip onto tiny little plastic nub that will probably shear off the side of the socket, then slice fingers open on razor-sharp heatsink".

Yeah... and the fact that cpu's now don't even have actual pins you can screw up...

It seems hilarious to me that I had my system up and running in under 60 minutes after having swapped motherboards, CPU & HS/Fan, and Ram. And that I was able to have it running stable at 4.2 Ghz after changing two numbers in the BIOS. And that I didn't have to reformat the hard drive and the OS literally did all of the work installing drivers and junk. This stuff is so easy compared to how it used to be it makes me sick. SICK.

Kashwashwa fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 14, 2011

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006

movax posted:

How are you guys applying TIM? :wtc: Every CPU I've had with a IHS I drop a miniscule, slightly smaller than rice-grain sized blob of AS5 in dead center, and then let the HSF crush and spread it around as needed. Worked great for P4s and C2Ds.

I've only done the "cover entire IHS" with thermal compound via razor once, and got the same temps for vastly more effort. :iiam: What will suck is if you apply paste and then keep shifting around the heatsink. Don't do that.

Two little lines look like it has good coverage:

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=170&Itemid=38&limit=1&limitstart=5

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006

ehnus posted:

Which heatsinks are you people using? Is anyone getting away with 4GHz on Intel's retail piece?

I'm at 4.2 on the retail one right now.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
I'm flabbergasted by the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus... I'm running voltage at 1.35 instead of 1.32 now, and my temps went from 78s (on stock cooler) to 55s under full load.

My chip doesn't want to go very high though. I'm able to get 4.4Ghz instead of the 4.2 I was at, but it won't even post higher than 4.4 (while it's rock solid AT 4.4 which is weird to me).

I guess I could put more voltage in - 1.35 is still pretty conservative - but I'm a sissy.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006

LordOfThePants posted:

Got as high as 74°C before I shut down Prime95 (less than 10 minutes of running). Dropped the multiplier back to 33x and have been running Prime95 in the background, temps are about 66°C.

You should try to get your voltage down first. You may have a chip that can run at 4.0ghz with way less voltage than the motherboard thinks it needs. I'm assuming you have it set to auto since you haven't said otherwise.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
I kinda wonder how many people will actually be affected by this?

No one with one DVD player and one HD (aka 95% of users?) will ever know the problem exists will they?

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

If I'm reading the Anandtech article correctly its not the number of SATA devices its the ports that matter. You can only use 2 devices and still get effected unfortunately.

Right, but what I'm saying is if you were only using two, you'd be using both of the 6 GB/s ports (which if I'm not mistaken are unaffected - it's only the 3 GB/s ports that are).

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006

dud root posted:

I just bought a board that uses the Realtek RTL8111E- the same as that MSI board. Whats the deal with the realtek onboard nic? Just how bad is it?

I think it's another case of nerds being dramatic. I have a Gigabyte P67 UD3 and it's absolutely fine.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006

Nonpython posted:

It is not so much drama as it is random. Realtek has little to no quality control, so if you are lucky to get a working chip, it may be passible for non-intense use. (If you ever want to torrent anything ever, stay away.)

I must be 'lucky', because my HTPC which has the same onboard nic let's me download at my service providers maximum speed, in addition to my main gaming pc (8 mbit or 1,000 kb/sec), all day long.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
Weee....

NCIX email:

quote:

we have an available replacement board for your GA-P67A-UD3

I guess this means I get to completely rebuild my system.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
I must have got a poo poo chip :(... it won't stay stable above 4.3ghz and that's with 1.35v. I thought the new motherboard might make a difference, but I get identical results as my last (Gigabyte P67A-UD3).

Granted, I haven't really messed around with any other settings.

At least it stays extremely cool with a Hyper 212+ HS & Fan (have yet to see 60 degrees).

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006

Shmoogy posted:

They're replacing them for free, it's a minor inconvenience to swap it out, but you should do it.

Also resale value if that matters to you... people will be more likely to buy a 'non-faulty' board I'm sure.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
The performance of my system seems to be degrading or something... it keeps freezing while playing Bad Company 2. Now I'm running at everything being stock speeds, and it seems to be stable, but what is this poo poo?

I'm running memtest to see if there's a problem there, but I'm not really sure what to try next.

I noticed there's a new BIOS update from gigabyte, so I'll try that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
I should have updated my post yesterday.

There were two problems - my video card was overclocked (which I forgot), apparently too much. BC2 was causing my video card to crash or something, causing my entire system to freeze.

Then, I had an old version of my motherboards BIOS, which would cause it to reset and revert to default BIOS settings if the reset switch was pressed - which is what I would do when my system froze up.

So I updated my BIOS, set video card to default specs, and everything is going good.