Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Lord of Laughton posted:

Miracle mask has my favourite mini game in the series so far: the shop game where you have to place things on the shelf. Not only is it challenging (the last one took me days) but the music is awesome.

God, yes. I adore the shop game, by far the best minigame. Azran Legacy better have something that competes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
After updating the OP, I realized that Azran Legacy is set to come out in November for Europe/Australia. Whilst NA still has a vague 2014 release date.
This is interesting.

Also noteworthy that this would be the first time that the Japanese and Euro versions launch in the same year.

(And I still really wanna hear some news about Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney...)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

SereneCrimson posted:

(And I still really wanna hear some news about Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney...)

All I know about it is that the soundtrack will be very very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiCf_Urxggc

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

SereneCrimson posted:

After updating the OP, I realized that Azran Legacy is set to come out in November for Europe/Australia. Whilst NA still has a vague 2014 release date.
This is interesting.

Also noteworthy that this would be the first time that the Japanese and Euro versions launch in the same year.

Didn't we at least get an announcement that in fact, we WILL eventually get it?

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.
Is it just me or is today's daily puzzle unsolvable? Dinosaurs 15. I don't know why this is stumping me.

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

It's definitely not unsolvable, but yeah this one gave me a lot of trouble. What helped me eventually get it was finding dinosaurs that can only move in a single direction based on their surroundings, even if it's just one square at a time. For some very slightly spoiler-esque advice, try starting with the three dinosaurs in the upper left corner. Due to the space they have and the fact that they can't cross over each others paths, you can get those three fairly far just by moving them in the only directions they're able to move. Once you can get some dinosaurs to at least have the beginning of a path that you know is correct, the others become...not easy, but somewhat less mind-bendingly difficult.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

That's funny, today's puzzle was easy-ish for me, but I am still really stuck on the earlier one where each dino "place" is a straight horizontal line.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lord of Laughton posted:

Is it just me or is today's daily puzzle unsolvable? Dinosaurs 15. I don't know why this is stumping me.

You need to send the yellow long neck dude all the way to the right and up to the top, looping around everything else. This is what stumped me anyway.

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

Thanks! That yellow neck one was really throwing me off. I was right about the whole left side at least :)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Well the year of Daily Puzzles is finally over, and my golden Layton statue only does so much to fill the void in my heart.

Why does Azran Legacy still have to be so far away? :smith:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Regy Rusty posted:

Well the year of Daily Puzzles is finally over, and my golden Layton statue only does so much to fill the void in my heart.

Why does Azran Legacy still have to be so far away? :smith:

Move to Europe or Australia. We get it next week, Friday 8th for EU and Saturday 9th for AUS.

Man, EU is really lucking out lately. First we get Ace Attorney 5 several hours before NA, and now we get Layton months before. There must be a catch somewhere.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

eating only apples posted:

There must be a catch somewhere.

We still don't have SMTIV or Rune Factory 4 or Brain Training 3 (Devil Whatever).

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

Well Ausgoons and Eurogoons, the game is almost in your hands!

I envy you and am shaking my fist at you all the way from cold ol' Canada.

GAME is also giving out a rather nice pre-order bonus of a leather card wallet.

I wish NA would get preorder bonuses for Layton games.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

SereneCrimson posted:

I wish NA would get preorder bonuses for Layton games.

I really wanna know why there's suddenly this huge gap that there hasn't been since the first game. I mean the US doesn't even have an actual date announced which means it could be spring or later.

:negative:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Maybe Level-5 USA is localising the new one.

Alternately, maybe NOA still hasn't met its "delay the NA release for six months for no reason" quota for the year.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Can I pick up all the daily puzzles now that the year of puzzles is over, or did I miss them forever? Do I need to download them, or do they just need to be unlocked over the internet like in the old games?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I just finished Unwound Future, and I have to say, that twist was goddamn hilarious. I mean, I'd considered that future London might be fake for about a minute after they the travelled, but then dismissed it because it was clearly too large to fake. Joke's on me, I guess.

I was kinda pissed off by it at first, but then after the fortress reared up and all that happened it was clear the writers were pretty much having fun with how ridiculous the whole thing could be and I started to enjoy it.

And yeah, the rest of the ending was sad as hell. Although I have to say I was almost more saddened that Future London got blown up. All that effort! All that prime commuting real estate with excellent internal transport and quick elevator access to inner real London!

Anyways, goddammit, I just want a sequel set after that ending. Layton can go visit Luke in America or whatever. (Possibly one that hints that Hawkes got arrested. Although with Chemley on his back and Clive and Dimitri Allen about to get a very public and high-profile trial he's probably pretty screwed.)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Nov 5, 2013

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Argue posted:

Can I pick up all the daily puzzles now that the year of puzzles is over, or did I miss them forever? Do I need to download them, or do they just need to be unlocked over the internet like in the old games?

They'll be available. It says "downloading" every time you get one but I don't know for sure that means it isn't just connecting to unlock them. I guess you'll find out when you try to get 365 puzzles at once!

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

MikeJF posted:

And yeah, the rest of the ending was sad as hell. Although I have to say I was almost more saddened that Future London got blown up. All that effort! All that prime commuting real estate with excellent internal transport and quick elevator access to inner real London!

Anyways, goddammit, I just want a sequel set after that ending. Layton can go visit Luke in America or whatever. (Possibly one that hints that Hawkes got arrested. Although with Chemley on his back and Clive and Dimitri Allen about to get a very public and high-profile trial he's probably pretty screwed.)

Someone on TVTropes pointed out that Viv, the daughter of one of the scientists and one of the phony residents, would have been completely traumatized by the revelation that her entire life was a lie and part of a terrible cover-up, and that he mother knew and didn't tell her. I posted the logical conclusion: the last time a child's life was turned upside-down by a bizarre and horrible incident, he grew up to be a venegful psycho who tried to destroy London, and someone present at the original incident in his youth had to stop him. If Viv ever goes bad, two words: Professor Triton.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Nov 6, 2013

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Just got Azran Legacy today.

In the past few weeks, in anticipation of this game, I've been playing the daily puzzles in Miracle Mask. I didn't really pay attention to them while I was playing the game proper, last December, then I kinda forgot all about them. So I downloaded almost all of the 365 puzzles in one go. They really add so much value to the game, and as a result I'm more excited about the daily puzzles in Azran Legacy than I am about the story of this game :P

What are people's favourites and least favourites of the Miracle Mask daily puzzles? For me the best puzzles were the "Alchemist's Lair", "Ghouls and Guards", "Tomb of the Ancients" and "St Bronto's" :3:

The real duds (which I probably won't bother completing) are "Sweet Truth" (I really despise this one and I don't know why), and "Bewitching Night" (mainly because it's such a boring slog to play). I'm also not that fond of "Perilous Voyage" (too much work) but I'm forcing myself through the last few puzzles I haven't completed in that one, because I refuse to be defeated.

I've barely touched "Sun, Sand & Tortoises" or "Food Chain" yet (only done a few puzzles from each). But now they can wait until I'm done with Azran Legacy.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

gently caress Perilous Voyage. I used a walkthrough on every single one of those and stopped even trying to solve them myself after the first few. Awfully designed puzzle in general.

I liked most of the others, probably my favorites were Alchemist's Lair and Sweet Truth.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Got Azran Legacy yesterday, and am about 40 puzzles in. There's been a scene with a pointy-figure accusation from Layton already, which is nice :3:. The animation is beautiful too, but that's a given.

The most remarkable thing about it so far is the sheer amount of sidequests and minigames, you get a lot of bang for your buck in this. There's 5 or 6 of the things already, my favourite is the squirrel nut-rolling game.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

Just announced on Nintendo Direct; Azran Legacy releases in NA on February 28th.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
I hate the stupid flower growing minigame, ugh.

Loving the rest of the game though. Absolutely beautiful audio-visually, challenging puzzles and a non-linear structure.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The start of this game was good but collecting the 5 eggs is tedious as gently caress. Oh look another quaint village full of stereotypes and a wacky halfbaked mystery where I talk to like 6 people over and over and solve hardly any puzzles.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Well that was kind of a huge twist :aaaaa:

Edit: oh crap another! This poo poo be cray

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 28, 2013

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Hedrigall posted:

Well that was kind of a huge twist :aaaaa:

Edit: oh crap another! This poo poo be cray

I've finished the whole game. On the scale of Layton Twists it's not quite as balls to the wall insane as the ones involving giant mecha destructo-robots in Last Specter or Unwound Future, but it does all kind of come out of nowhere, all at once. After the entire middle part of the game just being cutsey adventures with whimsical folk around the world it sort of blindsided me.

Bit odd, but then, pretty much the whole Layton series can be summed up as "Adorable, but a bit odd"

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

Perilous voyage (is that the sailboat one?) was hands down the best daily puzzle. Could be solved almost completely logically, with very little guess work.

The mural one was bad for that. It was almost completely trial and error and guessing to solve. Hated those.

Other good ones were: the knights and mirrors, the fountains, the dinosaurs, the trains and the airplane.

drat I'm going to miss those.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Lord of Laughton posted:

Perilous voyage (is that the sailboat one?) was hands down the best daily puzzle. Could be solved almost completely logically, with very little guess work.

The mural one was bad for that. It was almost completely trial and error and guessing to solve. Hated those.

Other good ones were: the knights and mirrors, the fountains, the dinosaurs, the trains and the airplane.

drat I'm going to miss those.

Knights/mirrors and airplane routes return for the daily puzzles in Azran Legacy, as well as the alchemist one and a few others. (Including a couple of the shittier puzzles, like the match-four-to-make-blocks-fall one.)

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Oh my god the Laytonduck

e: Oh god the joke

ANIME MONSTROSITY fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Dec 9, 2013

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

My mother got Miracle Mask for Christmas and finished it recently, but it didn't save after the credits. From what I remember of the first one, you could beat the game, reload your game and go do any puzzles you'd missed or whatever. Can you do that in Miracle Mask? I got her to re-load her save game, but she says that if she tries to go anywhere, Layton just says that he needs to talk to Randall (or something).

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

irlZaphod posted:

My mother got Miracle Mask for Christmas and finished it recently, but it didn't save after the credits. From what I remember of the first one, you could beat the game, reload your game and go do any puzzles you'd missed or whatever. Can you do that in Miracle Mask? I got her to re-load her save game, but she says that if she tries to go anywhere, Layton just says that he needs to talk to Randall (or something).

You should be able to, no problem, looks like something's gone a bit wrong there. It should save right before the bit where the game sort of shuts you down into the endgame sequence of puzzles, as far as I can remember, and then when you complete the game it lets you wander around as normal.

I'd try going through the ending again (if you hit start during the numerous cutscenes it'll let you skip them to save time), and see if the save clicks in this time.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Irisi posted:

You should be able to, no problem, looks like something's gone a bit wrong there. It should save right before the bit where the game sort of shuts you down into the endgame sequence of puzzles, as far as I can remember, and then when you complete the game it lets you wander around as normal.

I'd try going through the ending again (if you hit start during the numerous cutscenes it'll let you skip them to save time), and see if the save clicks in this time.
She is right at that endgame part, and she said that it did tell her to Save as she wouldn't be able to after that point. I'll tell her to try that, she probably shut it off during the credits or something. Thanks!

I was thinking that it should let you wander around after you finish it, because I remember being able to do that in the first one.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

Well, we're 2 weeks off of the NA release of Azran Legacy.
The Nintendo Direct had a little trailer showing off some of Emmy's scenes from Last Specter and Miracle Mask. Put a little emphasis that Azran Legacy is her last adventure with the Professor.

Man, This game ending is going to be so bittersweet.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
In EU and AU/NZ we're 6 weeks from the release of Layton vs Wright :smug:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

SereneCrimson posted:

Well, we're 2 weeks off of the NA release of Azran Legacy.
The Nintendo Direct had a little trailer showing off some of Emmy's scenes from Last Specter and Miracle Mask. Put a little emphasis that Azran Legacy is her last adventure with the Professor.

Man, This game ending is going to be so bittersweet.

I'm gonna try my hardest not to cry. The ending of Unwound Future makes me tear up every time I watch it and I expect the end of this trilogy to be no different, especially since this is the last game with the Professor, bar Layton 7 pulling something out. But it won't be the same.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm gonna try my hardest not to cry. The ending of Unwound Future makes me tear up every time I watch it and I expect the end of this trilogy to be no different, especially since this is the last game with the Professor, bar Layton 7 pulling something out. But it won't be the same.

The credits song makes it seem likely that things will end on a bittersweet note. Unwound Future's ending will be next to impossible to top, though. It was just perfect.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Is the Alchemy minigame making a comeback in Azran Legacy? This will determine whether its a day one purchase for me.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

EngineerSean posted:

Is the Alchemy minigame making a comeback in Azran Legacy? This will determine whether its a day one purchase for me.

Yes it is. Like a third of a page above your post:

Hedrigall posted:

Knights/mirrors and airplane routes return for the daily puzzles in Azran Legacy, as well as the alchemist one and a few others. (Including a couple of the shittier puzzles, like the match-four-to-make-blocks-fall one.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
poo poo yeah thanks a lot!

• Locked thread