Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

!
!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
This is such an absurdly good idea. It's like Nintendo has realized they're going to be getting actual handheld competition again and is just going to stack the 3DS library with at least one must-buy game for everyone on the planet.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Mad Fnorder posted:

This is such an absurdly good idea. It's like Nintendo has realized they're going to be getting actual handheld competition again and is just going to stack the 3DS library with at least one must-buy game for everyone on the planet.

Right, and that game is called Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008
I will not die happy until I have played that game.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
UKers can currently pick up the Layton movie at Asda for a fiver. Have to admit I was tempted...

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Mad Fnorder posted:

You mean there are still people on the planet who don't have at least one game they have to have on the 3DS? Christ, I was sold by the E3 presentation, let alone the list of games that came out after that. But seriously, this:

gutcruncher posted:

Right, and that game is called Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright

Pretty much put it about as well as you could.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

What's up with Layton villains and BAM GIANT ROBOT OUT OF NOWHERE! ALSO I'M CRAZY!?

I guess the latter only really applies to the Eternal Diva.

Also, I found Layton's student shamelessly flirting with him and insulting Luke to be hilarious.

Unwound Future was a lot of fun in general.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Unwound Future's main theme is amazing.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Means nothing to most of you, but the UK launch day is finally here! After weeks of hearing all about how good it is, I'm off to pick up Unwound [Lost] Future in a minute :)

I should really beat Curious Village, but that stupid Get the Princess Out puzzle has me stumped. :argh:

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

eating only apples posted:

Means nothing to most of you, but the UK launch day is finally here! After weeks of hearing all about how good it is, I'm off to pick up Unwound [Lost] Future in a minute :)

I should really beat Curious Village, but that stupid Get the Princess Out puzzle has me stumped. :argh:

I got it today, yay! And because I preordered I got a Professor Layton Rubix Cube as a freebie. My dad is currently trying to solve it and getting frustrated, bless his heart.

Plus, did any other UK folk see the wraparound cover with the Daily Express newspaper today? It was a 4-page advert for the game done as a mockup of the front page of the paper, it was adorable :3:

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Irisi posted:

I got it today, yay! And because I preordered I got a Professor Layton Rubix Cube as a freebie. My dad is currently trying to solve it and getting frustrated, bless his heart.

Plus, did any other UK folk see the wraparound cover with the Daily Express newspaper today? It was a 4-page advert for the game done as a mockup of the front page of the paper, it was adorable :3:

:aaa: Is there any way someone could get their hands on this and do a scan? That sounds too cool.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Irisi posted:

I found out about it when "Don Paolo" Tweeted it. Totally disappointed I didn't know about it sooner. :( Where did you get the game from? I was in a rush so just dashed into the nearest Gamestation, no preorder. I want a Rubix Cube! :(

e: pictures of the newspaper here and here, not scans though.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Got the game w/h the film on HMV's fiver off offer. Five minutes in and I'm having acid flashbacks to Dragon Quest VIII.

Edit: first time really playing a Layton game, how's it in terms of "Lost Forever" if I make a total arse of a puzzle? The whole "what you get after the end of the game depends on your score!" thing has me worried.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 22, 2010

Opendork
Jan 14, 2006

ConanThe3rd posted:

Got the game w/h the film on HMV's fiver off offer. Five minutes in and I'm having acid flashbacks to Dragon Quest VIII.

Edit: first time really playing a Layton game, how's it in terms of "Lost Forever" if I make a total arse of a puzzle? The whole "what you get after the end of the game depends on your score!" thing has me worried.

It is impossible to miss anything permanently. If you get the minimum score in every puzzle you will still unlock everything and the unlockables really aren't very interesting anyway.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

I found out about it when "Don Paolo" Tweeted it. Totally disappointed I didn't know about it sooner. :( Where did you get the game from? I was in a rush so just dashed into the nearest Gamestation, no preorder. I want a Rubix Cube! :(

Awww. I got it in GAME (got double points on my reward card too, not too shabby). They had loads of cubes in stock too, if anyone has still to buy it I'm pretty sure the staff will give you one even without a preorder.

I'm 29 puzzles in and have just invented a Coin Operated Machine Gun. This game is amazing! Future Luke is adorable, but I miss poor neglected Flora and I really hope Don Paulo turns up soon, because he's just hilarious.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Strolled into Asda today, saw it on sale for (I think) £25, bought on the spot! And so far I've solved every puzzle first time, which is new for me. Maybe that's because I haven't reached any sliding block puzzles yet.

I'm also terribly amused by the Japanese interpretation of London. Americans think that Britain is three miles square and everyone drives Minis and knows the Queen; the Japanese think it's some kind of steampunk Ren Fayre.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Payndz posted:

I'm also terribly amused by the Japanese interpretation of London. Americans think that Britain is three miles square and everyone drives Minis and knows the Queen;

And roundabouts! Their streets dont have a single straight line in em!

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I watched the Eternal Diva this afternoon. Quite good, the story was the typical Layton stuff. I'd put the plot twist/ending about on par with Diabolical Box in terms of ridiculousness. Not up to Unwound Future (seriously, what the christ happened with that game? Sure, it was a fine plot but Jesus...), but crazier than Curious Village.

Now there's nothing left but to wait for Professor Layton 4 or the Mask of Miracle with the 3DS to come over.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Unwound Future is already amazing and I'm only about 3 hours in :allears:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Watching Eternal Diva, I so want Inspector Clamp Grosky to show up in the games. It's telling he's spent most of his time in the movie ether in the Water or running away from explosions but his :black101: antics are making him the best character in this film by far.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Oct 24, 2010

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Future Luke is the smuggest motherfucker. :3:

Almost eight hours in, just going into the Towering Pagoda. What the hell is going on.. About how long is it? I really don't want to be near the end :ohdear:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
In terms of puzzles, you're about 2/3 through.

In terms of plot, you're barely getting started.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Oh thank goodness for that. I did figure I had a lot left to see, I haven't even seen Don Paolo yet and I know he's around somewhere. I managed to avoid spoilers apart from that one! Not really a huge spoiler I suppose.

I'm loving this way more than the other two. It does seem a bit easier though. It really throws hint coins at you. I'm still finding two or three in almost every room.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I have to say, I laughed so hard at Don Paolo's role in the second game. Basically all he does is kidnap the most annoying character and then appear for all of thirty seconds to shout "CURSE YOU LAYTON" before running off.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Also, unfortunately it looks like we won't be seeing Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright anytime in the conceivable future

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Stop posting that link guys, only because there's no information on an English release doesn't mean there won't be one. To paraphrase what's happening in that article:

someone: "Hey Capcom, any details on an English release yet?"
Capcom: "None so far, no."
whoever: "OH GOD THAT MEANS IT'LL NEVER COME OUT WHAT IS THIS"

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Requested_Username posted:

Also, unfortunately it looks like we won't be seeing Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright anytime in the conceivable future

What the poo poo? Time to start writing notes, wrapping them around bricks, and hurling them through windows.

Edit: OK, never mind, it's a nonstory

Leovinus fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 24, 2010

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Yeah, people have said it repeatedly but Layton and Ace Attorney are both like printing money. It'll get a release. Just at this early stage, there's no details.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Capsaicin posted:

Realtalk: gently caress those toys,

There is one that is like, two horseshoes connected at each tip by a chain (so two chains total), and a ring going around the chains. You have to get the ring off.

gently caress it.

I know that one, and it's super easy. Just fold the horseshoes against each other and...

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Wow, the lock to the tunnel under the Thames puzzle is hard as balls. I'm really having trouble. I get what the hidden rules are, I just can't work out how to get them all to interact the way I want them to. Mind you, I've been playing this game for approximately five hours at this point, so I think my brain's going a bit funny. Time for a break I think.

I like the lack of sliding block puzzles in this game. The dragon walkway was awful though, I think I've used two superhints so far and that was one of them.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

I just finished the game, and while the general plot was as cheerfully mental as always, the ending was surprisingly sad & heartfelt. Poor Layton :(

Don Paulo totally stole the last half of the game though. I love Don Paulo. The next game in the series should ditch the kids and just have him following Layton about, bitching constantly at him & occasionally saving the day with a crazy mechanical flying contraption. That'd be a great game.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Wow, the lock to the tunnel under the Thames puzzle is hard as balls. I'm really having trouble. I get what the hidden rules are, I just can't work out how to get them all to interact the way I want them to. Mind you, I've been playing this game for approximately five hours at this point, so I think my brain's going a bit funny. Time for a break I think.

Yeah, there's probably a simple way of working out what you need to press, but it's a problem that's quite tough to conceptualise. I was lucky and it came together quite quickly for me.

The dragon walkway is fairly easy as sliding puzzles go, but I was just irritated that you couldn't just use the pieces to make an irregular path from one side to the other - you know, like you would if you were really doing it.

The sliding puzzles that do show up are generally OK. There's one real bitch, but the others are interesting in the way they're presented, like the one where you have to relocate four balls in a really low number of moves - there's only one real solution, and it's just fun to see the pattern work.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Stop posting that link guys, only because there's no information on an English release doesn't mean there won't be one. To paraphrase what's happening in that article:

someone: "Hey Capcom, any details on an English release yet?"
Capcom: "None so far, no."
whoever: "OH GOD THAT MEANS IT'LL NEVER COME OUT WHAT IS THIS"

Given the One and a Half year gap between JP and ENG versions of Diabolical box, I can hardly be surprised if the fandom is jumpy as poo poo over such matters.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

This talk of sliding puzzles is giving me horrible flashbacks to the garbage day puzzle from Professor Layton 2

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

This talk of sliding puzzles is giving me horrible flashbacks to the garbage day puzzle from Professor Layton 2

Thanks, I'll never be able to get the thought of Layton getting shot whilst he's putting out the trash out of my mind.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Don Paolo finally taking matters in his own hands?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Utterly murdered the first weekly puzzle of Lost Future and it's all thanks to me being a horribly obsessive computer nerd.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Oct 25, 2010

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

So what you're saying is that this reminds you of a puzzle.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
For all Layton goes on about what a proper English gentleman would or wouldn't do, he does one thing a lot that a real one definitely wouldn't: points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Puzzle w4 is a nasty trick to play on anyone who has taken a geometry class, because we're *taught* a blind spot as a matter of convention.

• Locked thread