Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Nah man, KLWP is the new hotness. It's basically a live wallpaper with a very extensive theming and button interface. Here's what I rolled with it (the line icons are done through Nova but everything else is KLWP). By way of example, tapping the calendar area opens my Calendar app, tapping the time opens up the Alarm app, tapping weather/music on the right actually opens a KLWP-powered overlay on the top half to show a five-day forecast and music player, respectively.

f#a# fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

f#a# posted:

Nah man, KLWP is the new hotness. It's basically a live wallpaper with a very extensive theming and button interface. Here's what I rolled with it (the line icons are done through Nova but everything else is KLWP). By way of example, tapping the calendar area opens my Calendar app, tapping the time opens up the Alarm app, tapping weather/music on the right actually opens a KLWP-powered overlay on the top half to show a five-day forecast and music player, respectively.

Good info, thanks!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I think I'll use Zooper for now to turn my tablet into a PADD

I'm on Nova Launcher on a Shield, which is basically marshmallow vanilla. There's no way to change my system font without rooting, is there.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Is there a way to change the text color to something higher contrast than white? It's all stock right now.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

KillHour posted:

Is there a way to change the text color to something higher contrast than white? It's all stock right now.

:stare: Nova Launcher

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Uhhhh... Sorry I have bad taste?

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Apology not accepted.

PS: I just found this site, and some of their "Screen of the Day" nominations are pretty cool.

For example:

Kind of makes me want to play around with Zooper.

TenaciousTomato fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 5, 2016

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I was just thinking the other day that it'd be cool to have something that looks like that handlink thing that Al had in Quantum Leap.

(And yeah, Nova Launcher will do what you want. I imagine the other major custom launchers will too, but Nova's the one I have the most experience with.)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I got rid of the text altogether and toned down the saturation. Thanks.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

KillHour posted:

I got rid of the text altogether and toned down the saturation. Thanks.

You know, if you used swipeable docks and swipe actions on icons you could probably clean up that godawful mess you have at the bottom there.

A suggestion would be to pair up things that naturally go together. For instance, for me, Chrome and my forums browser are related mentally so Chrome gets a spot on my dock and swiping up from it launches Something (or in your case Awful). Another of mine is Contacts is a swipe up from Phone. Another obvious pairing would be the Facebook app and swipe up for Facebook Messenger.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I really don't care about having a clean desktop. A desktop is for icons. The more, the better.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

LastInLine posted:

You know, if you used swipeable docks and swipe actions on icons you could probably clean up that godawful mess you have at the bottom there.
I'm not sure why you're so big into this when hiding things that way is a terrible ui decision. I get that it's your personal device and you can set it up the way you want but it doesn't get much easier than touch thing get thing.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

For all of Tapet's bells and whistles, this is pretty much the only wallpaper it has generated that I use consistently.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Montalvo posted:

For all of Tapet's bells and whistles, this is pretty much the only wallpaper it has generated that I use consistently.

A much better, very colorful wallpaper. And a similar layout to my own! (Thanks Elentor.)

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

I kept cutting stuff off my desktop further and further and doing everything through the app drawer.

Might be time to change wallpaper though :/

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Congrats on having a useless desktop.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

least I have a 16-bit sunset

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

least I have a 16-bit sunset

I want that can you upload it somewhere

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

COOL CORN posted:

I want that can you upload it somewhere
Sure- http://i.imgur.com/F4i1211h.jpg

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:

TenaciousTomato posted:

PS: I just found this site, and some of their "Screen of the Day" nominations are pretty cool.

For example:

drat that's nice. Liking Themer so far too; Are there any other (better) import-shiny-new-theme-with-minimal-fuss apps out there that have an active creative community?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
KLWP's got a pretty nice Google+ community, although the app itself is pay, as are many of the themes. I've moved to that since Themer/MyColorScreen's pretty well kicked the bucket now; the site creator's moved on and I don't think the app's being updated anymore.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

butt dickus posted:

I'm not sure why you're so big into this when hiding things that way is a terrible ui decision. I get that it's your personal device and you can set it up the way you want but it doesn't get much easier than touch thing get thing.

Oh yeah, it's a terrible UI decision for sure, but 1) it's a personalized one that you'd probably remember and use and 2) you can then make use of the desktop space for a useful widget*.

Honestly I can't think of an uglier or less usable UI than the iOS/stock Android behavior of "mostly identical icons jizzed out into a grid in no order whatsoever". I mean, you still have to either janitor them into some logical order you can remember or just force rote memorization of their positions and append as you acquire more and you're left with what looks like your grandmother's Windows desktop covered in icons. Obviously some (most?) people like that but I find it just as arcane but much less aesthetically pleasing.

*Assuming one exists somewhere.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

I kept cutting stuff off my desktop further and further and doing everything through the app drawer.

Might be time to change wallpaper though :/

I really like this.

I guess if I'm going to talk I may as well share:

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Apr 6, 2016

Trampus
Sep 28, 2001

It's too damn hot for a penguin to be just walkin' around here.

f#a# posted:

I really like that! Can you export your preset and tell us what icon set that is?

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Sure, icon pack is Glyphsy, KLWP is based on Pinkmotion with a few modifications (added alarm, renamed tabs, changed wallpaper). Here's a link, download the whole thing and put in /[internal storage]/Kustom/wallpapers.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Keeping mine pretty basic. All these apps have doubletap, so for example double tapping chrome opens up awful app so I actually have 12 app shortcuts on this screen. Any other app I can just use the search bar to open. Sliding right on screen opens up google news and weather. Pretty happy with this setup.

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jun 20, 2017

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
What did you use to do all that?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
It's actually pretty easy, sorry should have listed.

Smart Launcher with minimal theme
Lines free icon pack
Arcus weather widget showing current summary with 7 day icons and set to transparent.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

I'm digging this theme.

Edit: search bar, battery circle, and clock widgets all separate, I just approximated the color.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

blarzgh posted:

I'm digging this theme.

Edit: search bar, battery circle, and clock widgets all separate, I just approximated the color.

Now that you have a screenshot you can open it in an image editor and get the RGB values. :haw:

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Son of a bitch!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

blarzgh posted:

I'm digging this theme.

What are those icons? And wallpaper? I need this for my synthwave

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Pretty sure the icons are Rad Pack Pro (on mobile, or I'd dredge up a link). I think the wallpaper is included, it has a dozen or more of that style.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Wee Bairns posted:

Pretty sure the icons are Rad Pack Pro (on mobile, or I'd dredge up a link). I think the wallpaper is included, it has a dozen or more of that style.

Yes, yes, and yes.

Here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.natewren.radpackfree&hl=en

Edit: the Pro version is $1.99, but I had all I needed. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.natewren.radpack&hl=en

Here is the custom search bar, made by the same guy: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.natewren.csbw&hl=en

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Got a Pixel XL, still using Nova launcher but I have it mimicking the Pixel launcher esthetic for now.

Using Google's daily nature photo for my wallpaper right now.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Brightman posted:

Got a Pixel XL, still using Nova launcher but I have it mimicking the Pixel launcher esthetic for now.

What weather app is that? Looks really cool.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Guillermus posted:

Beautiful Widgets with the EmotiSun skin. It does clocks and calendars too but I just went with a 4x1 weather forecast widget for this.

Battery widget is just Minimalistic Text, same stuff I've been using for years, might be better alternatives now.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nice, I like the redundant battery meters.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Guillermus posted:

I'm sorry, but it actually looks like poo poo.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

The gently caress are those numbers? Are you a spy? Lotto? Random seed for a dungeon generator? Battery meter (nah lol jk that would be too silly, it's lotto numbers right)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by

Brightman posted:

I honestly didn't know that Beautiful Widgets could still run on modern Android. I remember that being one of the first customization apps that I installed on my Evo 4G. And I think that theme, or one really similar to it, was available for it back then.

What I'm trying to say is, why did you buy a brand new top of the line $650 phone and make it look like it's from 2010?

• Locked thread