Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Have you always wanted to date a girl named "The Power"?

Do you like "special entertainment"?

Do you wanna send a bunch of baby ducks to the moon?

Do you often wonder how the H you're gonna fix this S?

Do you like lady pecs?

IF SO THEN YOU ARE PROBABLY ALREADY WATCH REGULAR SHOW CONGRATULATIONS

But for the rest of you, here's a post explaining what the hell I'm talking about.

Regular Show is the newest addition to Cartoon Network's 8:00 Monday block aka "the best half hour on television." Specifically it airs at 8:15 after Adventure Time (which you already watch because it's MATHEMATICAL!) It was created by JG Quintel, and now you're probably like "Why does that name sound familiar and I'll tell you why, because he was also a director on The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack (which you watched because you are a decent, caring person) and a storyboard artist on Camp Lazlo (which you also watched because it was pretty cool.)

Anyway, Regular Show is about Mordecai and Rigby, a 23 year old blue jay and raccoon with a 3rd grade education respectively who work with Skips, a skipping yeti, for Benson a talking gumball machine. They also deal with Pops who is a crazy old guy with an enormous head (he's possibly a lollipop). They all work in a public park or something it's not important.

See if you can figure out who is who!

Other notables:
  • Muscle Man
  • Hi-Five Ghost
  • A montage set to what is pretty much "Tom Sawyer" by Rush
  • A montage set to "Working For The Weekend" by Loverboy
  • Coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee
  • I'm not a hole you're a hole you hole

As of this post 3 episodes have aired, and a Pilot exists too. Some kind Youtube user has uploaded them all and continues to do so, so here are the links to them:
Pilot
Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3

Also here's a bunch of gifs:

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Finally caught up on Regular Show. I'd been avoiding it because I remember the pilot from last year being really, really weak but I liked JG Quintel's student films so I gave it a shot and I liked it. It does feel a little too self-consciously surreal or "random" at times (like one of the main characters being a sentient gum ball machine for no reason) and it doesn't match Flapjack's humor or Adventure Time's, well, adventure but it does have promise.

So, discuss and try not to drop your balls!

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Sep 22, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

No thread tag? Send this thread to the moon.

Edit: Also related video 2 in the AM PM JG Quintel's student film which is basically an early version of Regular Show.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 22, 2010

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

muscles like this? posted:

No thread tag? Send this thread to the moon.

I typed the whole thing up in a SALR Quick Post window with the right tag and everything, but kept opening and closing tabs so in the end I c/p'd it into a normal Thread Post thing and forgot to set the tag.

I've asked somebody with THE POWER to change it though.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I think The Power is still my favorite of the three and a half and a quarter episodes so far

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something crazy I noticed from the recent episode is that whenever Benson moves his head his gumballs rattle.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Avatars of the coffee montage would be awesome. Almost as awesome as FIST PUMP.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also from latest episode, at the First Pump concert Hi-Five Ghost is obviously holding a cup of beer.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Also from latest episode, at the First Pump concert Hi-Five Ghost is obviously holding a cup of beer.

One might say he knows why people really go to concerts.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
Well yea duh it's to listen to the music.

Something crazy I noticed from the recent episode is that whenever Benson moves his head his gumballs rattle.

I just love his gumballs as stubble. :3:

And I have to agree with The Power being pretty great, then again I'm a sucker for musical comedy, especially when it's just unpolished.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Pops at 3:00 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra6yWZQYm5I

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I can't believe how much they get away with on this show. So many characters are so obviously drinking beer constantly, but since it's an undefined brown liquid from cans with no label, it could technically be soda and gets a pass. Genius.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Yeah, or how in the third episode Morde wanted to go for the concert for "lady pecs." Also I like that they use elementary school tactics to self-censor themselves, "How the H are we going to clean up all this S?" Kids know exactly what they're trying to say.

I don't watch a lot of cartoons, but I really like the vibe of this show.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 22, 2010

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Pops is obviously a living lollipop. :colbert:

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Aw, I was hoping "DON'T LOOK AT OUR CROTCHES WHILE WE SYNCHRONIZE OUR WATCHES" would make the thread title.

Mutation posted:

Yeah, or how in the third episode Morde wanted to see some "lady pecs." Also I like that they use elementary school tactics to self-censor themselves, "How the H are we going to clean up all this S?"

I don't watch a lot of cartoons, but I really like the vibe of this show.

"Don't call me a hole, you're the hole!"

They really do seem to be pushing the boundaries of what they can get away with in a kids' show; I remember when I was a kid the fact that the gym teacher said "crap" in one episode of Dexter's Lab was downright shocking, now the first episode of Mad had 3 "I crapped my pants" jokes and Regular Show has them singing about their crotches and lady pecs. I wonder how much of this has to do with Cartoon Network's seeming admittance that their audience is as much stoners and manchildren as it is actual children :catdrugs:

The third episode increased my confidence in this show immensely now that they've shown they can break from the "be given task, things go horribly wrong, fight monster" formula of the first 2 episodes. Between Adventure Time and Flapjack reruns (I was never much for Chowder) Cartoon Network has their best comedy lineup in years, even factoring in Mad's shittyness.

kefkafloyd posted:

Avatars of the coffee montage would be awesome. Almost as awesome as FIST PUMP.

I watched ep 3 on YouTube but Atube Catcher's file doesn't seem compatible with Photoshop or VirtualDub, when I get some time I'll try and fiddle with it a bit more to make some GIFs :thumbsup:

Make a buncha GIFs, send them to the moon...

EDIT: It took me way, way too long to figure out exactly what was going on in this scene:

...of SCIENCE! fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 22, 2010

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
My favorite thing they've gotten away with has to be Rigby's 'Benson is gonna drop his BALLS' line.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

What is going on there? :confused:

Here's a gif

Zoot Suit Mahoney
Jan 20, 2010

Quit jivin' me, turkey.
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

TEN IN A ROW

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Heliotrope posted:

It's a lot easier to make out in HD:

They have one arm in their shirt pushing it out while the other holds the empty sleeve so you can't tell that it's empty.

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole

Mr. Heliotrope posted:

I used to do this all the time when I was younger. Just keep one hand in your shirt and hold the empty sleeve and it looks like you have a third arm or something. Actually I have no idea why I did this when I was young. It was fun I guess v:shobon:v

edit: beaten because I didn't refresh

octothorpopus
Jan 22, 2010

JUST KEEP PLAYING!!!
I'm totally going to learn the song and dance for when they make their boss pay them more money with The Power.

Also, if I ever learn to play the keyboard, it will be named The Power.

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot

Mutation posted:

Yeah, or how in the third episode Morde wanted to go for the concert for "lady pecs." Also I like that they use elementary school tactics to self-censor themselves, "How the H are we going to clean up all this S?" Kids know exactly what they're trying to say.

I still can't believe they managed to straight up say "pissed" in the first episode. Also, can somebody please gif the giant coffee bean shooting coffee from his nipples?

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Fluoride Jones posted:

I still can't believe they managed to straight up say "pissed" in the first episode. Also, can somebody please gif the giant coffee bean shooting coffee from his nipples?

Hey guess what I made and came here to upload!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

i like tacos posted:

I used to do this all the time when I was younger. Just keep one hand in your shirt and hold the empty sleeve and it looks like you have a third arm or something. Actually I have no idea why I did this when I was young. It was fun I guess v:shobon:v

edit: beaten because I didn't refresh

Pumpers like to pump.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I wasn't completely sold on this show until this week's episode, now I love it.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Here are some moments I GIFed. If anyone has a request I'll try and do that.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
Somebody needs to do one with the coffee bean winking during the montage as it was probably the funniest part of the entire bit to me.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Suben posted:

Somebody needs to do one with the coffee bean winking during the montage as it was probably the funniest part of the entire bit to me.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
Yeah, this show is pretty decent.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

livingfruitvirus posted:

Pumpers like to pump.

Pumpers NEED to pump.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!

What is happening to his eyes

:psyduck:

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008
Just coming in here to say this show absolutely rocks.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Disargeria posted:

What is happening to his eyes

:psyduck:

I love how they play around with his eyes and snout like that, just like how Mordecai's beak is just a triangle when viewed from head-on.

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.
This show is pretty awesome.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I've only seen two episodes and I am pretty sure I want this on DVD.

I'd like Flapjack on DVD too. There are 46 episodes of Flapjack and according to wikipedia, only FIVE of them have been released on DVD. What the gently caress? :(

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Mr. Heliotrope posted:

The perfect signature image. edit: wait, too tall. :(

Also, I'd watch an episode that consisted of nothing but Rigby sending random stuff to the moon.

Mr. Heliotrope posted:

I just tested it out and it seems to be fine for signatures.

The forum rules state that I can't use it casually if it's over 125 pixels tall. There's always FYAD and special occasions that deserve Fist Pump and coffee I guess. Though I guess that was the original point of grabbing it.

super sweet best pal fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 23, 2010

Thrust On Moore
Jul 13, 2010

She keeps coming closer,
Saying "I can feel it in my bones.
Schizophrenia,
Is taking me home."
I was going to ask what the point of muting the music was since it's technically all copyright material, but I guess it's less of a hassle to not worry about Cartoon Network and some music label breathing down your neck.

For some reason, it didn't occur to me that at the end of the Coffee episode, Mordecai and Rigby would fall asleep at the concert. I'd say that if I'm not trying to predict the end of the episode in my head, then the producers are doing something right.

wildzero
Apr 23, 2008

"My name is Dante."
"Fuck you say?"

I'm so loving glad CN picked this show up. If they could pick up Danger Planet as well, it'd be the best line-up with Regular Show and Adventure Time.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Has no meaning posted:

The perfect signature image. edit: wait, too tall. :(

I just tested it out and it seems to be fine for signatures.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?

Thrust On Moore posted:

I was going to ask what the point of muting the music was since it's technically all copyright material, but I guess it's less of a hassle to not worry about Cartoon Network and some music label breathing down your neck.

I actually checked to see whether or not the master recording was owned by Warner (the only major label that has a beef with YouTube), and it turns out it isn't. Surprisingly, J.G. Quintel himself has been posting YouTube links to the show each week- I guess he doesn't mind it being distributed illegally as long as it gets more people interested and hopefully watching or something. Here is the link he posted to "Caffeinated Coffee Tickets," which features the sound unmuted.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

mobo85 posted:

I actually checked to see whether or not the master recording was owned by Warner (the only major label that has a beef with YouTube), and it turns out it isn't. Surprisingly, J.G. Quintel himself has been posting YouTube links to the show each week- I guess he doesn't mind it being distributed illegally as long as it gets more people interested and hopefully watching or something. Here is the link he posted to "Caffeinated Coffee Tickets," which features the sound unmuted.

It's pretty cool that he linked that, but why is every related video, besides, like, 4 of them, episodes of Lizzy McGuire?:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Thrust On Moore posted:

For some reason, it didn't occur to me that at the end of the Coffee episode, Mordecai and Rigby would fall asleep at the concert. I'd say that if I'm not trying to predict the end of the episode in my head, then the producers are doing something right.

I think that the copyright detection is all automated and based on complaints from copyright holders, that's why sometimes the music is still played with YouTube adding a "Contains content from [label/artist/etc] while other times its muted or the video is taken down. I'm guessing Regular Show hasn't uploaded a copyright protection thing, either because it's new or because they don't care.

SpacePig posted:

It's pretty cool that he linked that, but why is every related video, besides, like, 4 of them, episodes of Lizzy McGuire?:psyduck:

Paid adverting. "Featured Videos" are videos that people paid to have appear at the top of searches and recommendations.

• Locked thread