Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Dude, this show is the perfect companion to Adventure Time. Heck, hate to say, but ever since Regular Show premiered, I've liked it better than the accompanying Adventure Time episode. Better than Adventure Time at its best? Not yet, but it's better than the most recent few. Yeah, woo, Regular Show!

So far, I think my favorite thing is Skips. Sorry, his run cycle just makes me crack up every time.

Pick fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 29, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Y'know, I only have one complaint about the coffee bean episode (other than it scarring my soul forever), and really, it's a complaint that encompasses a lot of things, but since it showed up here most recently, this is where I'm going to talk about it. I'm really tired of shows feeling like they immediately need to establish the "not-gays", to borrow a form of remonstration from Red Letter Media. I mean, in Adventure Time and Regular Show, we almost immediately get hit with the pink love interest character. Why? Will people actually think these characters are gay otherwise? I just don't get why shows and movies seem to be so keen on pointing this out when it's not relevant. "Lady pecs" aside (a joke that will go down in history) she really didn't add anything to the episode. The episode was all about that creepy-rear end coffee bean (stole the show is all I'm saying). It's a show about some best friends who work at a park with a skipping yeti, talking lollipop, and anthropomorphized gumball machine. Are there parents out there, angrily writing e-mails about sausage festivals to network censors? ("Bert and ErnieMordecai and Rigby live in the same house! OH NO!") I mean, the only people who would automatically pin any sexuality on an idiot raccoon and stoner bluejay clearly have problems anyway, and nothing you ever do will convince them otherwise, since people like that are utterly impervious to logic.

It just feels a little... condescending? Like, oh, hello audience, I realize you have never had a real friendship in your life, but did you know that two best friends don't automatically want to jump each other's bones? I was surprised, too! Well, in this case, Mordecai is all about the lady pecs, so he's heterosexual. Stay tuned for next week's episode when we have some random female walk by and we establish the same for all other male characters! ... What? Why do we need to do this? When kids see best friends hanging out, they certainly don't jump to this conclusion. (Do kids even watch CN shows?) Parents who would object to the evil deadly mortal sin of homosexuality probably don't watch RS or let their kids watch RS anyway, and even they wouldn't have any grounds to assume it was there in the first place. Why can't we just watch friends hang out any more without having the show automatically draw out Very Clear Boundaries? It's a bluejay and a raccoon! Just let them play video games in peace! If it's important, then the topic will come up later, not just get shoehorned into an episode that isn't improved by it. (That could have been an entire additional minute of coffee bean footage. Think of the .gifs!)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think people assuming that I am claiming that it's "oppressing homosexuals" are completely missing the point, probably deliberately so. I have made it very clear that, if anything, I think it's disrespectful to the concept of platonic friendship. I don't think there's anything suspect about two people being friends, and yet every single show I've started watching immediately pins down character sexualities (straight AND non-straight alike). As for "but otherwise, Mordecai wouldn't have wanted to go to the concert :smug:," you're missing the point that there was little if any plot significance to Mordecai not wanting to go and any number of potential excuses. I just want one--just one!--show in my life that's about friendship that isn't afraid to just show the friendship!

As I also pointed out, RS is hardly alone in this, but it just happens to be the most recent show I picked up watching.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I feel like Skips is a really good straight-man character. Unlike the equivalent in many other shows, Skips is actually shown as being fairly good-natured and normal. Even though Skips is unhappy with the main duo a lot of the time, he nevertheless seems to be a solid protagonist.

Also, I loving love that Benson's little coin thingy is shaped like a heart.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

muscles like this? posted:

Yeah, "soda"

I liked that too. Yeaaah, "Soda".

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

SpacePig posted:

I'm actually amazed that even wheat breads and multi-grain breads have HFCS in them. You actually have to go out of your way to find breads that don't have it in them. Breads.
I moved to Prague recently and it's amazing how much better even the cheap poo poo is. The bread was the first one I noticed. You get a big-assed loaf for about a dollar and it has substance and isn't sweet at all. It's so much tastier, it's unbelievable. I eventually tried a sausage here, as well. And what did I notice? Same thing as with the bread: It has more substance and isn't sweet. I didn't even realize our USA sausage was sweet until I tried one that wasn't. (Although to balance out their lack of HFCS in everything, they usually inject edam cheese instead. It's everywheeerreee!)

I hope this show becomes so successful they make little Skips figurines.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tartarus Sauce posted:

Dammit, I'm so jealous.

Have you been to the Toy Museum yet? Is the guy who plays the wine glasses still on the bridge?

Also, first chance you get, go to Kutna Hora to go poke around the Kostnice.
Ha ha, the toy museum is awesome. Seriously, all the museums here are fun. (Also, when my students are faster than the schedule, occasionally I will show them Regular Show. They think it's funny, but they also think it's craaaazy.)

quote:

Anyway, back to Regular Show, I'm finding that I even like poor Benson, who is just a long-suffering, hard-working boss who constantly has to clean up after killer video games and killer hot dogs.
I think Benson is adorable. He's just so tired-looking all the time, poor guy!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think it was a dating site, due to the layout. Lonely, lonely Benson.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I always get these on iTunes as soon as I can, but I hate waiting for it to update (and since I'm in central Europe, it's obviously not on normal TV). Thanks for letting me contribute to the thread without getting spoilered all the time!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Oh my god. This episode was crazier than most of the things on Adult Swim. We had a Clockwork Orange reference, sparkle-farting on someone's face, drinking whatever "unicorn slomp" is, straight-up loving murder, and whatever it was that happened to Benson, I... I don't even want to know.

Pick fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Oct 26, 2010

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Good grief, that's fantastic! Really, man, this is one of the best shows on TV.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Neeksy posted:

What's funny is that calling it slomp makes it almost worse in that it could be another substance.
Yeah, I have to admit, my mind went somewhere else first.

By the way, what's your avatar of? It looks so familiar, yet I can't place it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Dude, Don has a sweet house. That's a great house.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Dude, the best part of this episode? Totally High-Five ghost with knuckledusters.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I loved this episode. It had a happy ending, and you know what? I like happy endings. I was expecting some serious schadenfreude fodder, and instead I got a nice, cool episode. That was amazing.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

thelaughingman posted:

I loved the fact that Benson was the first one to clap.

I extra super love that Benson is actually a reasonable guy, we just don't usually see him at his best, since Mordecai and Rigby are usually being stupid when he comes around.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Elmo Oxygen posted:

I dunno, Human Benson kind of rules.

That was my thought. The hat totally sold it for me.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
This is amazing news. I like my Adventure Time, but I NEED Regular Show.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah, I felt this was a good episode for Rigby. The end really cinched it. I felt the last episode was similarly valuable for Mordecai. I think Regular Show is entirely capable of being as developed and enriching as a longer-format show, and I'm sure if they went for a double-sized episode, it would be amazing. Venture Bros did an hour-long episode and everyone loved it; I'm sure Regular Show could spend 24 minutes to their fullest.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
"You wanna go back to that dizzy world?" "Yes."

And

"You can't fire me; I thought of the marker thing."

Another fantastic episode, holy poo poo. This show has been incredible from the first episode on.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

machchunk posted:

That settles it, Muscleman is my favorite character now. Man this episode was great. It was the funniest one so far for me.

You know how to break the law in all the right ways!

This line completely made the episode for me.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Aww, I like Benson. He actually seems pretty reasonable, all things considered.

And being paid with a plastic bag full of coinage was hilarious.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Macrame_God posted:

I've gone back to watch "Party Pete" a few times since it last aired and I think it might be my favorite episode of RS yet. Every time I watch it I see something new (like the Cheezers girl hanging out in the background at the party) and there are lots of little bits in there that always make me laugh. I particularly enjoy the way Mordecai says the line "Aw yeah! In your face, Muscle Man."

I have to say, I thought this was another incredible episode. It wasn't monkeycheese random, but was still gloriously surreal. The crowd shots looked great. The lighting effects looked great. The centaurs were awesome, but not as awesome as the flaming toilet, which really was just about the coolest thing.

And it wasn't the breast joke that got me, it was Benson taking off his bathrobe and getting in the tub. I know he's naked all the time, but that suddenly made it very conspicuous.... :stare:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

muscles like this? posted:

The only time they've ever brought up the fact that Mordecai and Rigby are nude was in the Don episode.

Yeah, but for some reason that's not as weird to me as the same thing with Benson.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

octothorpopus posted:

http://jgquintel.deviantart.com/journal/38711999/

Uhh, what? I really hope I don't miss this

EDIT: "Mordecai gets the image of naked Pops burned into his brain! Will he ever be the same again?? Find out on an all new episode of Regular Show on a special night, right after Hall of Game! It all starts at 7/6c on Cartoon Network."

Oh god

Oh god. The timing, considering my feelings about the previous episode, is goddamn eerie.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I cannot believe this made it to broadcast.

It. Was. AMAZING.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I figured it was like having your fly open or something.

For me the creepiest part was Pops spider-crawling on the ceiling. Uaaargh!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I laughed so hard I cried. I loved Benson the elf.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I've never seen a more accurate representation of what it's like to have a song stuck in your head.

Also, the dancing was fabulous.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tartarus Sauce posted:

Best bit: the Mattress Knight. :D

That part was both hilarious and kind of inspiring. I'd both love to see him come back and love to never see him again.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I actually thought that this episode was less fun when the crazy poo poo started (though it was loving awesome, best show on TV). Benson flipping his poo poo with the garbage can was one of the best moments in TV history. I could not stop laughing.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Man, if you think Regular Show is badly animated, I don't know how you handle most cartoons on television.

I've seen worse animation and animation errors in feature films. (Pebble and the Penguin, anyone?)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

JT Jag posted:

Yeah at times I think Margaret isn't even in the friend zone with Mordecai, as such as the Hooters Waitress zone (but with coffee). She's just friendly with everyone, it's part of the job.

Yeah, that's the feeling I get. Mordecai is cool to us because we follow his adventures and like him as a character, but from her point of view as a datable item, he'd basically be a step down from her regular fare. Her other boyfriends have been of a higher caliber than some ambitionless slacker who works at a park and gets paid via change in an envelope. We really can't fault her for trying for something a little more.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Oh poo poo, I'm normally sick to death of zombies, but I love me some Evil Dead. This episode was awesome!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
"Benson's crank"? I think my laughter proves that this show can spontaneously regress me to age 13, sense of humor included.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I cannot recall the last time I saw a "kid's" show with so much straight-up murder.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I can't believe they had the frog-raping chimpanzee make a cameo :stare:.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tartarus Sauce posted:

The character interactions were all extremely cute. I especially like how Rigby started to warm up to Eileen, especially since I was initially worried that it was going to be a "jealous pal completely ruins the vacation"-type episode.

I'm also relieved that the episode didn't just dredge up the tired cliche ending where the females come away furious at the males for being goofy and inept.

"We'll just put clothing on the humany parts!"

I totally agree with all this! It was nice to see a positive spin on, well, so much.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ToastyPotato posted:

So nobody here caught the The Live reference with the teleporter space dock?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=2cmdr1X86Ac#t=33s

I did! Especially since I saw They Live for the first time the day before I saw this episode. It was kind of a "Wait, what?!" moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I really enjoyed that episode. I like it when they throw in some cute ones :3:.

• Locked thread