Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Have you always wanted to date a girl named "The Power"?

Do you like "special entertainment"?

Do you wanna send a bunch of baby ducks to the moon?

Do you often wonder how the H you're gonna fix this S?

Do you like lady pecs?

IF SO THEN YOU ARE PROBABLY ALREADY WATCH REGULAR SHOW CONGRATULATIONS

But for the rest of you, here's a post explaining what the hell I'm talking about.

Regular Show is the newest addition to Cartoon Network's 8:00 Monday block aka "the best half hour on television." Specifically it airs at 8:15 after Adventure Time (which you already watch because it's MATHEMATICAL!) It was created by JG Quintel, and now you're probably like "Why does that name sound familiar and I'll tell you why, because he was also a director on The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack (which you watched because you are a decent, caring person) and a storyboard artist on Camp Lazlo (which you also watched because it was pretty cool.)

Anyway, Regular Show is about Mordecai and Rigby, a 23 year old blue jay and raccoon with a 3rd grade education respectively who work with Skips, a skipping yeti, for Benson a talking gumball machine. They also deal with Pops who is a crazy old guy with an enormous head (he's possibly a lollipop). They all work in a public park or something it's not important.

See if you can figure out who is who!

Other notables:
  • Muscle Man
  • Hi-Five Ghost
  • A montage set to what is pretty much "Tom Sawyer" by Rush
  • A montage set to "Working For The Weekend" by Loverboy
  • Coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee
  • I'm not a hole you're a hole you hole

As of this post 3 episodes have aired, and a Pilot exists too. Some kind Youtube user has uploaded them all and continues to do so, so here are the links to them:
Pilot
Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3

Also here's a bunch of gifs:

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Finally caught up on Regular Show. I'd been avoiding it because I remember the pilot from last year being really, really weak but I liked JG Quintel's student films so I gave it a shot and I liked it. It does feel a little too self-consciously surreal or "random" at times (like one of the main characters being a sentient gum ball machine for no reason) and it doesn't match Flapjack's humor or Adventure Time's, well, adventure but it does have promise.

So, discuss and try not to drop your balls!

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Sep 22, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

muscles like this? posted:

No thread tag? Send this thread to the moon.

I typed the whole thing up in a SALR Quick Post window with the right tag and everything, but kept opening and closing tabs so in the end I c/p'd it into a normal Thread Post thing and forgot to set the tag.

I've asked somebody with THE POWER to change it though.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

muscles like this? posted:

Also from latest episode, at the First Pump concert Hi-Five Ghost is obviously holding a cup of beer.

One might say he knows why people really go to concerts.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Pops at 3:00 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra6yWZQYm5I

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

octothorpopus posted:

Who wants a wallpaper I just found?

I seriously love this picture. Makes me laugh every time.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

octothorpopus posted:

It's just so forced and emotionless. Everyone has at least one hand on someone, yet they don't look at all comfortable with anything. It's like Awkward Family Photos.

It's the hands that get me, really.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

This poo poo could be the new weekly House fanart.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Yeah some of this fanart kind of owns:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

drat, already yanked. I need to see this most recent episode :smith:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

i like tacos posted:

Get it while it's hot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j8Z58ANRUg

Booya, thanks.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Martytoof posted:

<-

Couldn't help myself

SpacePig posted:

A net that's full of pucks, send 'em to the moon.
Montreal D, it doesn't work. Send 'em to the moon.

e: Hamboning could save a game some day. It'll be like "What? You trying to score on me?"*slappity slappity slap*

Crossin' fuckin' borders all up in here.

(that avatar owns marty)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
The text is well done.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Pick posted:

I think people assuming that I am claiming that it's "oppressing homosexuals" are completely missing the point, probably deliberately so. I have made it very clear that, if anything, I think it's disrespectful to the concept of platonic friendship. I don't think there's anything suspect about two people being friends, and yet every single show I've started watching immediately pins down character sexualities (straight AND non-straight alike). As for "but otherwise, Mordecai wouldn't have wanted to go to the concert :smug:," you're missing the point that there was little if any plot significance to Mordecai not wanting to go and any number of potential excuses. I just want one--just one!--show in my life that's about friendship that isn't afraid to just show the friendship!

As I also pointed out, RS is hardly alone in this, but it just happens to be the most recent show I picked up watching.

Yeah but platonic friends often have love interests (outside the friendship obviously) too. It's not like the two are mutually exclusive, and saying "No we will never ever do this thing that usually leads to character development of some sort" seems like a poor creative decision.

I think that goes for anything too, not just Regular Show.

Also calling it the "not-gay" comes off as very standoffish with regards to how people respond to you.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 30, 2010

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Chicago is an awesome band, gently caress you all.

Also an outspokenly Atheist character would be terrible because I don't see how you could possibly make it funny.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

DJExile posted:

Episode 5 "Free Cake" airs tonight at 8:15 Eastern. Watch it.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

What kind of cake is it?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
"It's unnatural."
"You're unnatural!"

So loving meta.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

octothorpopus posted:

I wish I could do this in real-life and everybody would just understand me.

It'll be like "Do you have stairs in your house?" for Regular Show.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Thanks to that site I'm watching tonight's episode now.

This show is amazing and this ep is so heavy. "Don't die mad at me!"

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I see Corn syrup, so no.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Macrame_God posted:

What's funny is that I caught an episode of "How It's Made" earlier today that was about hotdogs. Before that I didn't know that they made hotdogs with HFCS. I guess I'll have to check the ingredients on the back before I purchase any hotdogs in the future. :barf:

You can pretty much safely assume there is HFCS in everything in the US. People bitch about how it's killing us and making us fat and that we should go back to sugar and whatnot but honestly I think if we just stopped putting in in every single product it would go a long way.

DJExile posted:

If anyone is eating a hot dog and expecting the pinnacle of health, something is terribly wrong with them.

Well yeah but why the gently caress do you need to put corn syrup in it? It's a hot dog.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Shadow The Rat posted:

Guess what bread crumbs mostly consist of. Not bread!

It wouldn't matter if they were since most bread has HFCS in it too!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Mr. Heliotrope posted:

I disagree.

Maybe we should play punchies to settle this?

With those cheeks?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

KungFu Grip posted:

Were you getting mugged?

More importantly:

Did it save your life?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I love how by the time Mordecai goes over to talk to them, the astronauts already have a nickname for Rigby.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Ehjpic posted:

I actually run both http://adventureti.me and http://regularsho.ws and only came back since I saw some hits on the site from this thread. But thanks for visiting. :)

Make them work with Firefox.

They own as is, but that would just be rhombus!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Life is Eat and Die posted:

Haha, that's my fat rear end. The shirts cost CN a bundle cause of all the colors.

I feel like it would be pretty easy to cut down on the colors, I can see lots of similar reds, and the mouths could call just be opened up to the background rather than their own color.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
STRONG JOHNS!

I WANT IT.

Also this episode had the best moral of any cartoon ever made.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 26, 2010

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Man I would buy a Fist Pump fist pumping gun in a heartbeat. CN has merchandising GOLD on their hands here.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

KungFu Grip posted:

I have no idea why one Unicorn Bro was dressed up like Gallagher.

I'm actually quite disappointed that he didn't smash anything with a hammer.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

The original line was "It's definitely not unicorn piss!" but we couldn't get it past the network.

Also the "lady" looked like this in the storyboard: http://www.flickr.com/photos/calwong/4323859456/

edit: embedded!

You people are amazing.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

change my name posted:

How can they get away with saying holy crap? I don't see the magical size changing dog swearing :colbert:

Jake may not say "crap" but he did meet a ghost that played a game involving picking up a ball with his butt cheeks.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

We have a few different games. About 6-9 of us get together in a conference room typically. In one, we just write out possible episode titles, throw 'em into a hat and draw them out one by one. We're given 2 minutes per title to write a premise and then another title is drawn out. In another we fold a sheet of paper into quadrants and draw a picture on the top quadrant. We pass it to the person on our right after 2 mins and he/she writes the first act of the story based on the picture. Then we pass it again, and again until all 3 acts are done.

A lot of the premises are pretty raunchy and could never make it to an episode. I kind of remember one where Muscle Man gets arrested for selling crack, or there was the one where Rigby and Muscle Man get married. It's funny how what we're talking about at lunch colors the games, like one time during Shark Week we all ended up writing shark related premises. It's a lot of fun!

Yeah, I think? Some fan posted it.

There might be some 1/2 hour specials like how Flapjack got one... but nothing official.

People who aren't me have the best jobs :allears:

Shark Week-themed episodes would be amazing. Shark Week should pretty much just be a TV-wide thing, not just for Discovery.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dresh posted:

I have to admit, I totally thought Don was the older brother. :(

Everybody does that!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Martytoof posted:

Also I can't count the number of times I make this face during Habs games

I got a bunch of free shots at a bar in Montreal once because the Habs were scoring a lot of goals so I guess I like them?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

thelaughingman posted:

Toonzone.net put up an interview with J. G. QUINTEL.

So my two favorite cartoonists look like the following:

and

I don't even know. At least JG's voice kind of looks like it should belong to him.

Also this episode was awesome. The "moral" and all the Mordecai/Margaret interactions.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Nov 23, 2010

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

theflyingexecutive posted:

Whoa, he was young enough to have a DS in college?

The DS came out when I was a senior in high school. Should I feel really young now or are you just an old man?

thelaughingman posted:

I loved the fact that Benson was the first one to clap.

Benson was totally into the song first too.

I'm watching it again and the song owns.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Liquid Penguins posted:

The crotch.

This gif is only allowable because they aren't synchronizing their watches.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
The "What's so great about lady pecs" one is pretty funny.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Martytoof posted:

Haha I just looked at it in detail. Creepy rapist Rigby really sells it.

It's not a rape face, it's the face of somebody that doesn't get the big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Ok, so Life Is Eat And Die, you guys need to make a whole episode about "Fists" Riggerson and his hard boiled adventures.

• Locked thread