Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
"The only way to fix the stream of time is to set right, what once was altered" *Takes out a sacrificial dagger.*

Also, if they are all the same robot, does that mean, Ysengrin crushed the only one in existence after it broke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

She's getting a lot of time travel out of two AA batteries

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Here we gooooooooo

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Makes a bit of sense now why Zimmy hates the birds so much

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Quick reminder. Which year are they in now? I can't really remember how much in-universe time has passed in between those 2186 pages and 14 years.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ditocoaf posted:

Kat seems really troubled by the fact that she built this time bird.

Or by what the bird discovered, perhaps.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Kat seems a bit too aware of what's going on here.

Yeah this. Shes all down and mopey? I keep expecting her to say "There's more..."

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

Quick reminder. Which year are they in now? I can't really remember how much in-universe time has passed in between those 2186 pages and 14 years.

They were in year 10 before Loup came about, although Annie had been held back to year 9. That would put them aged 14-15; they started in year 7 aged 11-12.

But school is pretty much suspended with all the forest war stuff, and one Annie is six months older than the other, so it's hard to judge how much time has passed.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Synthbuttrange posted:

She's getting a lot of time travel out of two AA batteries
Well yeah, she's got a whole ribbon cable hooked up to them. That covers positive, negative, up, down, charm, strange, top, bottom, and the rest for entanglement signals.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Thinking about it some more, if there's clearly time travel involved, maybe this stupid bird accidentally dropped her off in the wrong time line. Annie was replaced for years and nobody, including herself realized it.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Ysengrin! That was a one-of-a-kind time-travelling bird robot!

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

PubicMice posted:

Weren't people calling that Kat made the tic-tocs and sent them back in time somehow years ago, back when the robots first gave her the Mark of the Creator?

I'm not sure on the details but I definitely remember somebody, a long time ago, calling that the tictocs were made by Kat.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hey, if there are timelines that are just missing an Annie... well, if our Kat is going this far to solve the issue of the two of them, imagine what a Kat whose Annie just up and vanished to another timeline would do.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

The "I made them, they are all the same robot" really makes me feel like if Kat made them, but it's just the one same robot, it has to be multiple Kat's in multiple universes or timelines that each made one robot and they all went together to save Annie, and that's why she feels guilty about having multiple Annie's in one universe.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Twenty Four posted:

The "I made them, they are all the same robot" really makes me feel like if Kat made them, but it's just the one same robot, it has to be multiple Kat's in multiple universes or timelines that each made one robot

It might be but doesn't have to be. You can duplicate objects with time travel.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Sweet Jesus

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hell yes

I didn't expect Kat to already know how crazy this is

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Maybe she invented the antigravity device in the future and sent that to her younger self too

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

It might be but doesn't have to be. You can duplicate objects with time travel.

This is less reliable than n Kats producing n birds to inhabit the timelines, at least until the rules of time travel are laid out.

maswastaken posted:

Ysengrin! That was a one-of-a-kind time-travelling bird robot!

It does neatly explain why it started growing into the ground though. Think about the tech Kat has been working on all this time.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

This page puts the elephant in the Safeway bag.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
oh no I think I see what's happening here

Kat isn't sad because the Annies are shattering her worldview or whatever - she's sad because she knows that whatever caused the two Annies' displacement is something that she built

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

I've suspected that futureKat built the robobirds for a while, but didn't think they were interdimensional travellers too.

I think you nailed it on the head.

EDIT: Does this mean that Kat now HAS to invent a time machine/ dimension travel machine combo or else a paradox happens? Talk about extra homework...

Inglonias fucked around with this message at 14:03 on May 27, 2020

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
From now on, Kat needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Kennel posted:

From now on, Kat needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine.

Gunnerkrigg Court: A realistic down to earth comic that's completely off the wall and swarming with magic robots

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Bleck posted:

oh no I think I see what's happening here

Kat isn't sad because the Annies are shattering her worldview or whatever - she's sad because she knows that whatever caused the two Annies' displacement is something that she built

That, or she's deeply disturbed by the knowledge that she should be dead.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

In a sense, from Kat's higher-level viewpoint on how planes, dimensions, and/or works, she's possibly staring at the ghost of somebody she loves deeply.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

In a sense, from Kat's higher-level viewpoint on how planes, dimensions, and/or works, she's possibly staring at the ghost of somebody she loves deeply.

‘Haha is that it? Welcome to my world Kat!’

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Potato Salad posted:

Depending on how the birds work, there may still be dead Annie's. There were like what... 7 or so birds that helped Annie? It could mean that the birds left their dimensions so help the other two Annie's, which nets us two alive Annie's and 12 dead ones.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
The most we ever see is five, here:

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=124

Though only two of them actually grab onto Annie, which makes one wonder what the other three were doing.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Donkringel posted:

Depending on how the birds work, there may still be dead Annie's. There were like what... 7 or so birds that helped Annie? It could mean that the birds left their dimensions so help the other two Annie's, which nets us two alive Annie's and 12 dead ones.

Or not? Assuming an unlimited lifespan, the bird's always there (in multiple copies, even) to save Annie.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Iceclaw posted:

Or not? Assuming an unlimited lifespan, the bird's always there (in multiple copies, even) to save Annie.

Not if Ysengrim keeps destroying them

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

This is terrifying in many ways. The potential kill count of this bird bot is very high, if it can time travel and go to alternate realities. How responsible Kat is for that body count is also impossible to determine because paradoxes exist. If futureKat built this and sent it back in time, and this Kat is horrified by that choice and decides not to make it, is she still responsible for what happened (and does that destroy reality?)

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
so did kat also program in the tictoc rooting into the ground too

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Scaramouche posted:

Not if Ysengrim keeps destroying them

Ysengrin destroyed one, Kat created one. We have now seen the start and end of its life, everything else is happening in between.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Assuming one bird, it was there multiple times, either because it was sent back, came to the present, and was sent back, or because it bipped back and forth in the timeline enough times for there to be multiple copies of it at certain times, even though it's one bird. That single bird's timeline ends after successfully saving Annie. My guess is it can't go back and forth, Kat has already sent it back once, and it couldn't save Annie. The successful save took at least two, and there are probably more because Kat sent the bird back with other goals, too. Like seeing what actually happened at the founding of the Court...

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Tenebrais posted:

Ysengrin destroyed one, Kat created one. We have now seen the start and end of its life, everything else is happening in between.

It's simple, Kat just invented the one-bird universe.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

ronya posted:

Maybe she invented the antigravity device in the future and sent that to her younger self too

Thinking that could have been one of Kat's things, that all her sudden bouts of inspiration and unfeasible inventions were herself tapping into the future/past self to exchange info but it would cheapen the whole robogod mythos, unless that just happens to be separate entirely and she's just coincidentally breaking two split concepts.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Samuringa posted:

Thinking that could have been one of Kat's things, that all her sudden bouts of inspiration and unfeasible inventions were herself tapping into the future/past self to exchange info but it would cheapen the whole robogod mythos, unless that just happens to be separate entirely and she's just coincidentally breaking two split concepts.

The ether's pretty cyclical; it's entirely possible she became the Omnissiah because she was really really good at building things, while at the same time it's possible that she's really really good at building things because she's going to become the Omnissiah. It's basically an ouroboros, if it was mechanical and also had a bird theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The thing about the birds is that they supposedly predate even the court's robots. They weren't made to save Annie but to watch over everything. Or so the robots said.