Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I like where this is going. Kat should also absolutely consult Tony on the technical aspects of those birdies. This will turn out fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madjack
Dec 31, 2013
First the Tictocs and now we get to meet Brinnie. Aw Yiss.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
It's ZAM time!

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

ZAM

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Twist: the thing is the friend

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Twist: Brinnie is a nazi.

Valknut posted:

The symbol, like many others associated with Germanic paganism, has been appropriated by some white nationalist groups to represent their heritage.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Not sure what you're implying but Tom probably wasn't thinking about that in his comic dealing with European folklore when she first appeared back in 2009.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I'm being cheeky.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Gotcha. I just remembered that some people were calling Tom a homophobe for not having Annie and Kat be romantic partners or that empathizing with Tony meant Tom's pro-child abuse so you never know. I won't have anyone besmirching what's possibly the best sound effect in the comic.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Anyone else catch that first panel casual shade on Anthony? loving :iceburn:

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Chekhov's Armoury strikes again.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Hope this turns into a chapter or two of Brinnie absolutely roasting Tony

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Coxswain Balls posted:

Gotcha. I just remembered that some people were calling Tom a homophobe for not having Annie and Kat be romantic partners or that empathizing with Tony meant Tom's pro-child abuse so you never know. I won't have anyone besmirching what's possibly the best sound effect in the comic.
chibisoma isn't 'some people', they're the boxbot of posters

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Samuringa posted:

Hope this turns into a chapter or two of Brinnie absolutely roasting Tony

Basically, this.

I wonder how she'll feel about Annie. Or maybe she'll cause Tony to think that he caused Surma's death or something.

She'll probably be upset about Surma.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Coxswain Balls posted:

The 7th Guest posted:

Thank you for beating me to this.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Today I learned that "actual literal Norse valkyrie" qualifies at "interesting people". And that Anja is very good at taking things in stride.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Also, I'd enjoy seeing if Brinnie just revels in her own absurdity. Anja might be an actual wizard and Kat is learning the ropes of godhood, but for once there'll be a Court denizen of actual mythological descent. A bit of a "hey kids, you wanna see a dead (ice giant) body?"

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I don't remember who Brinnie is, even after googling her.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

I don't remember who Brinnie is, even after googling her.

She appears in Chapter 22, "Ties" and again here, in "Microsat 5".

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jul 13, 2020

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
She's the girl that hung out with Donny, Anja, Surma, Tony, and Eglamore back in the day:

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=539

She was super into Tony and Tony handled it badly:
https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1011
https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1013

She is generally theorized to be Brynhildr, the valkyrie.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Only true gunnerkrigg fans remember Girl In The Photo

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It's basically a disaster when a cute girl likes you.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Samuringa posted:

A bit of a "hey kids, you wanna see a dead (ice giant) body?"

"You're standing on it! Hahaha!"

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Regy Rusty posted:

Unacceptable Donnie!

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Looking back at those pages, it's interesting how that experience set up Surma to successfully woo Tony. She knew pretty explicitly that if you wanted to date Tony, showing interest and giving him chances was not going to work. So when she decided she wanted to be with him, she was very direct and explicit.

Surma also strikes me as being fairly direct in general, but it is cool how things fit together.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Wittgen posted:

Looking back at those pages, it's interesting how that experience set up Surma to successfully woo Tony. She knew pretty explicitly that if you wanted to date Tony, showing interest and giving him chances was not going to work. So when she decided she wanted to be with him, she was very direct and explicit.

Surma also strikes me as being fairly direct in general, but it is cool how things fit together.

I think premeditating that is giving Surma too much credit. At best it's 10% prior knowledge of Tony being an awkward dweeb, and 90% Surma having two speeds.

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k
I hope Brinnie and Tony get together.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Kantesu posted:

She's the girl that hung out with Donny, Anja, Surma, Tony, and Eglamore back in the day:

Tom flat out said that's who she was.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

artichoke posted:

*30 mins explaining backstory to Brinnie later*

"So... What you're saying is Tony's single?"

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Y'know, being a valkyrie and therefore a psychopomp, I wonder if Brinnie and Annie already know each other.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Thought I remembered that, but wasn't sure.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

artichoke posted:

I don't think either Annies want their dad dead just yet.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Cat Mattress posted:

I don't think either Annies want their dad dead just yet.

Now I wonder how Valkyres and Psychopoms settle jurisdiction.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Kantesu posted:

did the gunnerkrigg court rabbit hole thing and oh this is that bubble shield
https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=553

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Regy Rusty posted:

I know and its how i ended up married.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Tenebrais posted:

Y'know, being a valkyrie and therefore a psychopomp, I wonder if Brinnie and Annie already know each other.

A reverse of Kat in the Land of the Dead (or whatever it was called) where she just saw the smoke and mirrors. Brinnie shows up in full regalia, bunch od awe, and Annie's just "oh hi Auntie B!"

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Me after reading today's comic: :bisonyes:

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

The 7th Guest posted:

Hey now, that's not fair to Boxbot.

I remember there was someone else who had a similar meltdown when Tony showed up, and went so far as to bring up spreadsheets and Patreon/Google search graphs to prove that the comic was obviously failing and Tom had better pack it up. Shortly after Tom said he was doing so well he could finally quit his day job and is now happily married and living the dream.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
"Forgive me master, I must go all out, just this once" Anja says as she unleashes the sacred power of la chancla upon the rune

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

You’re saying that Anthony could have just picked up the phone and made an awkward call to the girl who had a crush on him instead of going on a six year quest and cutting his hand off to talk to a psycho pomp?