Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
That's the point of the ontological paradox. If you do something that never happened, it always happened. Before Kat led them to it, Anja and Donnie never found the lab. The origin point of the event becomes impossible to determine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Im just enjoying how much fun Anja seems to be having helping guide the bird to create the loops.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

BrightWing posted:

Im just enjoying how much fun Anja seems to be having helping guide the bird to create the loops.

She hardly ever gets to mess with the fabric of reality!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

She hardly ever gets to mess with the fabric of reality!

At least not without an API in the way.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I feel like Kat got pretty lucky there, finding her teenage parents alone in a secluded part of the Court and not making out.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Warmachine posted:

What if Zimmy is an Annie that had too much time fuckery done with? Or maybe is the original Annie that Kat tried to save, failed to save, and thus brought back with mad science?

Zimmy -> Zinne -> Ainne -> Annie

:tinfoil:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Warmachine posted:

What if Zimmy is an Annie that had too much time fuckery done with? Or maybe is the original Annie that Kat tried to save, failed to save, and thus brought back with mad science?

It'd mean an Annie that grows to hate and fear her best friend. I'm not on board.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Cat Mattress posted:

It'd mean an Annie that grows to hate and fear her best friend. I'm not on board.

And is also perfectly okay with shamelessly manipulating another person's perception of how other people view them to control their behavior for her own selfish benefit.

...actually, that doesn't sound too farfetched for Annie, now that I think on it.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
So, how many times have we seen the TicToc in the series, including flashbacks?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Mraagvpeine posted:

So, how many times have we seen the TicToc in the series, including flashbacks?

https://gunnerkrigg.fandom.com/wiki/Tic-toc#Appearances
Wiki lists bunch (most, I think) of appearances, but doesn't include late chapter 7/early chapter 8, so it isn't a comprehensive list.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Kennel posted:

https://gunnerkrigg.fandom.com/wiki/Tic-toc#Appearances
Wiki lists bunch (most, I think) of appearances, but doesn't include late chapter 7/early chapter 8, so it isn't a comprehensive list.

Time to reread the whole thing just to be sure!

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

A bit late but there goes that Theory that the Tictoc Birds were invented by American Trickster Spirit Crow.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Annointed posted:

A bit late but there goes that Theory that the Tictoc Birds were invented by American Trickster Spirit Crow.

Not clear yet that Kat won't eventually go back in metatime and become Crow.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

GunnerJ posted:

Not clear yet that Kat won't eventually go back in metatime and become Crow.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Wondering if Tom will show "football head" Annie in a flashback and Annie goes something like "wow I've really grown up" or something silly.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Sankara posted:

Wondering if Tom will show "football head" Annie in a flashback and Annie goes something like "wow I've really grown up" or something silly.

Probably not, she would be super football-headed at this point in the story

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
The Wednesday page was already chapter 3 (the earliest Annie+TicToc meeting)

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So what you're saying is Many Worlds Interpretation confirmed. :pseudo:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
She doesn't wear makeup, so it has to be Forrest Annie. What was Court Annie up to?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Strong football game from past Annie here.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It's fun to see Tom referencing his old styles as a sign of Annie physically growing up, while also not actually walking back the way his art has improved over the years for them. That takes skill.

Like obviously the end of football-headed Annie is a result of Tom getting better at drawing, but it also canonises that she did use to have a wide face when she was little.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So do non-American readers call her "rugby-ball headed" or "yam headed?"

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
We still say football headed in the UK because Hey Arnold was on TV like 20 years ago.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
There's only one bird, but Kat just time paradoxed a flock to save her friend. Once you break time the first time, there's no reason to hold back.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Kerning Chameleon posted:

it's still football because that's the thread in-joke

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Also in Aus that's still a football.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
We call her "cursed demon child"

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
That last panel. That is the smug face of someone who knows she's going to send the tic toc back through multiple time loops.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Daktar posted:

That last panel. That is the smug face of someone who knows she's going to send the tic toc back through multiple time loops.

And then is knocked for a loop when thirty Kats from alternate timelines pop in with their Tic Tocs. "Oh. Guess you didn't ask us to help catch your Annie in this timeline." "Kat, don't be rude. Her timeline, her causality loop.."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=117 if anyone wants to synchronize their chronometers.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Looking forward to seeing how Kat makes the bird go BEEEEEEE!

edit: I didn't know the page was already up. I am satisfied.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
You know it's kinda funny. All this time I was convinced the tictocs were something nefarious, based on how unnerving they are and on how they tended to appear at critical moments. And yet, I was completely off the mark.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Bruceski posted:

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=117 if anyone wants to synchronize their chronometers.

Dang man, give us a spoiler warning next time. :(

It would be pretty funny if Kat would let Anni drop to her death now and then just go back in time again to save her for real that time just to show that she can.

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

The comment on the comic is a nice touch.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

If I were Kat, I would simply make a bird strong enough to carry a child on its own

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Bruceski posted:

Oh man, I hope they show everyone's 'yikes' reaction to Jimmy Jims yelling "Surma!"

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Scholtz posted:

If I were Kat, I would simply make a bird strong enough to carry a child on its own

To late for that.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Scholtz posted:

One does not "simply" break a stable time loop.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm actually super curious to see if thats an upcoming twist (oops disrupted the past), or if we really are just gonna watch it play out from the other side of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I have a feeling we are going to see what happened with the smashed Tic Toc after Annie left. They still have to go back to before the founding of the Court, so this can't be the end of the bird. Unless she builds a new one I guess, but that doesn't seem very satisfying.