Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Thanks for just randomly bringing it up six years later without providing any context for what you're talking about, I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Maldraedior posted:

the enemy is dead Annie
and the bird keeps out the enemy
that's why we build the bird
we build the bird to keep Annie

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

skaianDestiny posted:

Sucks reading stuff in this thread made in 2014 with posters being rather blatantly transphobic. Just wanted to read about cool speculation/reactions to old content, but nah, gotta read about someone saying transgender women should be definitely be harassed because they had the gall to point out an off hand joke might be iffy.

yeah SA used to be virulently transphobic, especially FYAD and GBS but leaking into everywhere, and im glad its not so much anymore. i still remember positive and negative post count folks alike trolling and derailing the trans threads constantly back when they used to be in E/N. don't know if it's worth bringing up here and now, though?

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
Oh it's THIS guy again.

I mean in the comic, not the conversation going on right now.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

What an rear end in a top hat.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Huh. Coyote broke it, and then left it for Ysengrin to discover.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
That's the trouble with Coyote. His 'two moves ahead' is indistinguishable from his 'I did it for the lulz'.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Don't break other people's toys Coyote, that's not nice.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Does this mark the first time Kat has ever seen Coyote? I don't think Kat has ever been over in the forest, and the only time Coyote was physically over in the court that I remember is that meeting really early on in the story where she wasn't allowed to be there.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I speculated earlier that she could have seen him when he knocked over a building but we only got Coyote's description of that scene so we don't really know. Otherwise yeah she's never seen him.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Coyote just looks like an actual coyote to her so this scene is probably pretty confusing.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

It's interesting that he broke the tic tok yet it still started growing into the cliffside.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

There Bias Two posted:

It's interesting that he broke the tic tok yet it still started growing into the cliffside.

Coyote did it.

Coyote was technology all along.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

he forgot! hahaha

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Wyld Karde posted:

That's the trouble with Coyote. His 'two moves ahead' is indistinguishable from his 'I did it for the lulz'.

feel like these aren't mutually exclusive

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Planning two steps ahead to own Ysingrin

E: If Coyote breaks the Tic Tok in the past then how will we end up with stories of Tik Tok being there from the Court's birth?

BrightWing fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 25, 2020

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009

BrightWing posted:

Planning two steps ahead to own Ysingrin

E: If Coyote breaks the Tic Tok in the past then how will we end up with stories of Tik Tok being there from the Court's birth?

Coyote broke the Tik Tok at the end of its life. The other appearances of the Tik Tok that showed up come from multiple points in the future, and would have eventually had to go back to the future (and other points in time we haven't seen yet, most likely) before reaching the point in their personal timeline where Coyote breaks it.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Toraen posted:

Coyote broke the Tik Tok at the end of its life. The other appearances of the Tik Tok that showed up come from multiple points in the future, and would have eventually had to go back to the future (and other points in time we haven't seen yet, most likely) before reaching the point in their personal timeline where Coyote breaks it.

Or, more simply, the only thing that must be satisfied is that at some point the Tic Toc is at that point and time to be broken by Coyote. There's no "before" or "after," at least in a sense we would recognize, since the Tic Toc doesn't need to really experience time as a point, or even a line, anymore.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
5 slightly time-shifted birds swoop down at Annie.

2 grab her.

2 hover just below her.

1 gets broken by Coyote.

There's plenty of unbroken ones to keep messing around with time.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I keep thinking about Marvin the Paranoid Android and how he ends up being 37 times older than the universe from all the time travel.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I just want to say I very much appreciate that this story didn't suddenly become about trying to prevent the events of the past from happening, either in vain and to no avail or as a way to reboot the story. I know Tom is a more clever writer than that so I shouldn't expect cliches but "we must fix what went wrong OH NO IT DIDNT WORK" is such a common trope in stories involving time travel/universe hopping that I couldn't help but dread it.

edit: I also like that the logic behind the birds is pretty simple and easy to follow now that it's been explained a bit: Pick a time and date, a bird will be sent there, and though you could technically pick ANY time and date to send a bird, we the viewers already know you'll only send 'em to moments that led up to this point because you're still sitting here sending them. Easy peasy.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 25, 2020

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
Interesting to hear that the Norns, goddesses of Fate, consider Coyote a higher power. Typically, fate is seen as immutable (see, Ragnarok, Greek prophecies, etc), with breaking it generally being the preserve of JRPG boss fights.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Wouldn't Kat still be able to control the Tictocs in other timelines or did Coyote's flick just completely wipe them out.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
:ms:

Good talk, glad we tied a nice neat bow on that extraneous plot point. I'm sure we're all satisfied and content with this resolution, and no further discussion on the matter will be required.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Curious how the whole ancient legends thing comes about. I was expecting some failed attempts to go look for the gunner or the seed bismuth.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Splicer posted:

Curious how the whole ancient legends thing comes about. I was expecting some failed attempts to go look for the gunner or the seed bismuth.

Maybe while Kat was in the timestream she took readings. :science:

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Kerning Chameleon posted:

:ms:

Good talk, glad we tied a nice neat bow on that extraneous plot point. I'm sure we're all satisfied and content with this resolution, and no further discussion on the matter will be required.

It's best to resolve matters in stories in the most straightforward and prosaic way possible. Nice to see coyote again, though.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

The_Final_Stand posted:

Interesting to hear that the Norns, goddesses of Fate, consider Coyote a higher power. Typically, fate is seen as immutable (see, Ragnarok, Greek prophecies, etc), with breaking it generally being the preserve of JRPG boss fights.

the nascence of Coyote directly undermines the concept of fate

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Kantesu posted:

2 grab her.

2 hover just below her.

1 gets broken by Coyote.

There's only 1 bird.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I really love Red Dress Norn's aesthetic. The dress, the hair, everything.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Well that’s that, then!

Honestly forgot Brinnie was there

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Wow things went well!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I bet the norns keep Anja's table.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Cat Mattress posted:

Technically, they've always had it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Kantesu posted:

2 grab her.

2 hover just below her.

1 gets broken by Coyote.

Those five birds are the same bird just at slightly different points in their world line. The broken one is the one farthest along in its world line.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

They wove this entire series of events - the tic tocs, the bridge, all of it - to get a nice new table for the front room.

Not like anyone's paying them, how else are they gonna do it?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nitrousoxide posted:

Those five birds are the same bird just at slightly different points in their world line. The broken one is the one farthest along in its world line.
Yes, but did Kat sneakily separate 4 of them by a few minutes and the last by a billion years

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

That last panel is made out of feelgood :kimchi:

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Treatise page Friday?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
The popularity poll results will be soon. I'm pretty pumped for those