Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I dunno about any of that, but Gamma basically just said we'll get mirror universe Evil Kat at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
lmao renard didnt you spend a ridiculously long period mooning over surma

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Zimmyverse Renard is a mild exaggeration at most.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

maswastaken posted:

Zimmyverse Renard is a mild exaggeration at most.

Meanwhile Renard is actually Zimmy.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

https://twitter.com/gunnerkrigg/status/1361347193916035080/photo/1

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

going pretty JTHM over here

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

going pretty JTHM over here

Ha! It does make me think of that.

I am super stoked! It's out for patrons now. If only I wasn't trying to do homework =(

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

catapede posted:

Ha! It does make me think of that.

I am super stoked! It's out for patrons now. If only I wasn't trying to do homework =(
As a Patron I'll just say it's really good and Tom will release it on the site at some point and I know for drat sure you're going to gasp and go "oh nooo" and get all kinds of feels.

madjack
Dec 31, 2013
Aw yiss, new side story.

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/extracomics/comic.php?c=Zim%20Grim

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Zimmy's adventures in the nightmare landscape of Birmingham.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Something I love about this comic that's pretty low key is the placement of text bubbles. So many web comics (and even print comics) don't put much thought into their placement, and just throw them wherever there's space. Gunnerkrigg is one of the few that seems to really put thought and effort into their placement to ensure they flow and are easily readable in the correct order. They work with the art towards the flow of the page to lead the eye around properly. It's something that bothers me when it's done poorly, so it's nice to see it done so well.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
wasn't the thread interpretation that Loup saw Kat through the ether?

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

dragon enthusiast posted:

wasn't the thread interpretation that Loup saw Kat through the ether?

It makes sense, since Kat sees the ether differently (breaking everything down to "how it functions" and eschewing all the pomp and circumstance) and it's mentioned on this page that the Court was making a different way of "seeing the unseen world."

Kat's way of seeing the ether is definitely something the Court would love to have.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

That was great.

No idea why I didn't have him on a patreon before but fixed that now, was good

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Haha, I really like the visual effect starting on page 18, the thick outlines make it look like someone took a cigarette to the comic itself or something.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
jfc zimmy's life is hell

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So who do we think Mr car guy is? He's the only one with a face, and he seems to have Zimmy's eyes. He also looks concerned for her.

Of course, this is trusting Zimmy's perception.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Tom still hasn't released the sequel to Traveller where the puppy is okay, so he's still a jerk.

If there is no such sequel, lie to me.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
When has anything good ever happened to an animal in a Gunnerkrigg Court comic strip, don't be silly

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

CJacobs posted:

When has anything good ever happened to an animal in a Gunnerkrigg Court comic strip, don't be silly

City Face continues to have excellent shiny feathers and a cool beak, thank you very much.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Renard is an expert at the grammar of referring to both of Antimony.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

Ditocoaf posted:

Renard is an expert at the grammar of referring to both of Antimony.

Hahaha I thought the same thing.

I love Renard. He's just great.

CJacobs posted:

Haha, I really like the visual effect starting on page 18, the thick outlines make it look like someone took a cigarette to the comic itself or something.

I loved this too. And the "reveal" of it being blood was cool. A lot of great visuals in Zim Grim.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

This was a good page :3:

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Renard comes back to the two Annies and they're throttling each other.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
By the way, in case anyone else, like me, wasn't paying attention, the ad at the top of the site notes that volume 8 is out.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The people who bought Book 1 in softcover, because it was all that was available at the time, must wait a few months for book 7 still... :smith:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Archaia makes nice books, but they suck keeping stuff in stock.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

FronzelNeekburm posted:

By the way, in case anyone else, like me, wasn't paying attention, the ad at the top of the site notes that volume 8 is out.

Ok, I'm glad you pointed that out. I thought I was going crazy. I saw the ad, and thought I somehow missed the book release.

And yep about the stock. I paid a not-crazy-but-decent-amount to buy a used copy of volume 1 and 2 for my niece for her birthday.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

catapede posted:

Ok, I'm glad you pointed that out. I thought I was going crazy. I saw the ad, and thought I somehow missed the book release.

You sorta did but you aren't alone. So, it seems, did Tom, who you may recognize is noteworthy for being the guy who made the book. Thanks Archaia!

https://twitter.com/gunnerkrigg/status/1363912326995443712?s=20

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Wait is Zimmy and Gamma the same person? Or was it just for this weird sequence? I'm getting the impression that Zimmy split her personality and manifested a double.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Demiurge4 posted:

Wait is Zimmy and Gamma the same person? Or was it just for this weird sequence? I'm getting the impression that Zimmy split her personality and manifested a double.

No? I think Zimmy and Gamma are just next to each other and uh going fast and/or distorting the ether around them to move somewhere. Presumably to where the Annies are.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Zimmy and Gamma's thought bubble-boxes have been Gamma's color since they entered the ether

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
As best I can tell, Zimmy and Gamma have always had the same text box color, speaking or thinking. Or is that the confusion?

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
Coyote really baked the fans' noodles with that goose skeleton story, huh.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

that reminds me, i like how annie's recurring strength is that because of her experiences with psychopomps she is highly empathetic to beings most people would be fearful of and this rubs off on the people she meets

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Man, Gamma secretly being Zimmy’s desire for comfort made manifest and not actually being real would be pretty hosed up. Is everyone’s text box unique? I guess I assumed their boxes were the same because of how they communicate telepathically.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
Far as I can tell, Zimmy/Gamma are the only ones with a different text box style. Not even Coyote's is different. Or Jeanne. Or Loup.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Sorry I should have been more specific. I meant the color of the box. There are at least a few different box styles. The robots have an angular box shape, for example. And android Arthur is a cross between the angular robot box and the standard box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I'm sorry, are we talking about some sort of box that is also a robot? That's terrible.