Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I can't tell if this is supposed to be a deeply weird thing for Kat to say any longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

ok hear me out...what if there are 2 kats

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Imagine four Kats on the edge of a cliff;

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm impressed at how quickly my hope turned to ash with today's update.

Friday: "Hooray, Annie expressed Zimmy's concern to Kat, who will take reasonable precautions before doing anything rash"
Today: "Wait, no, Kat is completely dismissing Zimmy's concern as crazytalk, and will probably now be doubling down on her experiments, then blame Annie for Zimmy's death because she didn't physically restrain Kat and just tried to talk to her like a reasonable person."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
kat’s never been all that aware of the effect she has on the ether and the only person who can fully grasp it is zimmy herself, it makes sense she’d be incredulous at this piece of news

her inability to grasp the full ramifications of her experiments has been her main flaw going back years

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Hasn't Kat been literally told that it's not hate, it's fear, because of the whole thing annie drew for her?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Honestly my biggest complaint with this page is the pacing. Did we need a full page to remind Paz who Zimmy is? Couldn't Kat just say "She's that crazy kid from the boat trip, remember?" and that'd be that. I guess maybe the content on Wednesday's page might be dense enough to not be able to be merged into this one, but still.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

kat’s never been all that aware of the effect she has on the ether and the only person who can fully grasp it is zimmy herself, it makes sense she’d be incredulous at this piece of news

her inability to grasp the full ramifications of her experiments has been her main flaw going back years

Yeah, but I was kinda hoping that being directly told "Hey, the person who is directly tied to the Ether is genuinely concerned that using the Omegs Device will kill her" would at least make Kat doublecheck her work. Instead seeing her immediately describe Zimmy as a crazy person makes me more concerned that she's just going to double-down and press on without doublechecking what she's doing.

And then she'll blame Annie because, gently caress it, everyone else seems to blame her for their own actions.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

You would think she would at least mull over whether this was the type of thing the Norns were hinting at, but explicitly not allowed to tell her.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

To be honest, I thought this page was okay. It does spend a little too much time on something that could've been communicated in two panels, yeah. That said, it's Paz and Kat so it's cute :3:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I feel like Kat should remember that Zimmy is the person who combined the two Annies into one, and apparently didn't even find it that difficult.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

Nettle Soup posted:

Hasn't Kat been literally told that it's not hate, it's fear, because of the whole thing annie drew for her?

During Divine, Zimmy did tell Kat that Kat terrifies her, and it's because of how Kat appears to her. Not sure how much Zimmy actually explained her "look" to Kat, but we got the Robot-God Kat reveal next page.

When Annie drew the photo of Kat, neither of them realized it was Kat.
https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1833

Paz has potentially seen Kat as the Angel God near the end of the boat trip. I wonder if that will come up anytime soon.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

catapede posted:

During Divine, Zimmy did tell Kat that Kat terrifies her, and it's because of how Kat appears to her. Not sure how much Zimmy actually explained her "look" to Kat, but we got the Robot-God Kat reveal next page.

When Annie drew the photo of Kat, neither of them realized it was Kat.
https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1833

Paz has potentially seen Kat as the Angel God near the end of the boat trip. I wonder if that will come up anytime soon.

I wonder how much Kat actually remembers from the events of Divine? When Annie wakes up, Kat wakes up too and thinks it was all a dream.

Which is a shame because Kat seemed sympathetic to Zimmy once she saw that Zimmy's attitude was fear that was real and strong, if baffling to Kat.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

I also feel like Jenny could have been reintroduced as "that weird girl from the boat trip."

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm really hoping it's going to turn out Jenny has been hanging out with Kat and badmouthing Zimmy in an attempt to become the nuZimmy, possibly with the Court's help.

Convince Kat that Zimmy is just a weird crazy girl, get Kat to use the Omega device and kill Zimmy in the process, and then step into the Zimmy-shaped hole in the ether and pilot the Court's ship across the sea of stars in exchange for a life of comfort on the other side?

Edit: or leaning into the "full-blown soap opera", Jenny is actually Zimmy's evil twin from the other side of the Star Ocean, who is trying to manipulate everyone into returning her there. Oh, and she's carrying Annie's child or something.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

I have a terrible memory for webcomics among other things so I re-read the chapter Divine after it was mentioned on this page. I know Zimmy vision is fairly different from just seeing into the ether, but I'm surprised that no one else seems to get a glimpse of INFINITY MECHA ANGEL GODDESS when they look at Kat.

One thing became clear, re-reading Divine after seeing the current storylines: Zimmy is the only one to have the correct response to Young Adult Romance bullshit:

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

It almost feels like it’s being ghostwritten at this point. Like some assistant author is working from a very broad sketch of what is supposed to happen and what the characters are like. But hasn’t actually read the comic and so has no grasp on what has actually happened and how each member of the cast has developed.

You could buy this kind of attitude from Kat early on in the story. But given everything they’ve gone through… everything Kat has seen and done… all the crises they’re supposedly CURRENTLY right in the middle of… her being so flippant isn’t just confusing, it’s downright unsettling.

I don’t think it’s intentionally so, but every plot beat and character interaction feels like that now.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

feetnotes posted:

It almost feels like it’s being ghostwritten at this point. Like some assistant author is working from a very broad sketch of what is supposed to happen and what the characters are like. But hasn’t actually read the comic and so has no grasp on what has actually happened and how each member of the cast has developed.

You could buy this kind of attitude from Kat early on in the story. But given everything they’ve gone through… everything Kat has seen and done… all the crises they’re supposedly CURRENTLY right in the middle of… her being so flippant isn’t just confusing, it’s downright unsettling.

I don’t think it’s intentionally so, but every plot beat and character interaction feels like that now.

Kind of like in this sequence, no?

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2424

Imagine if they never actually left Zimmy-space?

edit: I know it's been brought up as a possibility before and the consensus is that it's both wishful thinking and also too long to make the payoff worth it but dang it tell me it doesn't make more sense this way

isasphere fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 31, 2023

urf
Jul 12, 2009

feetnotes posted:

It's not really that surprising. Even when she is literally immersed in an ether situation in Chapter 71 with literal life or death stakes she acts like it's NBD until it involves Annie not belonging.

Kat has never regarded the ether on its own terms and has consistently been dismissive of those that do, especially when it comes to her meddling with it.

urf fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 31, 2023

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

urf posted:

It's not really that surprising. Even when she is literally immersed in an ether situation in Chapter 71 with literal life or death stakes she acts like it's NBD until it involves Annie not belonging.

Kat has never regarded the ether on its own terms and has consistently been dismissive of those that do, especially when it comes to her meddling with it.
Rereading that page it seems like in 50% of universes the shadow men are all like "thank christ that's all done with"

Presumably followed by the rise of various Dark Kats.

Wait is a Dark Kat going to invade our timeline to get her Annie back only to find out Zimmy killed her?

e: Is THAT the Kat that's going to kill Zimmy?

Splicer fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 31, 2023

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

Splicer posted:

Rereading that page it seems like in 50% of universes the shadow men are all like "thank christ that's all done with"

Presumably followed by the rise of various Dark Kats.

Wait is a Dark Kat going to invade our timeline to get her Annie back only to find out Zimmy killed her?

e: Is THAT the Kat that's going to kill Zimmy?

Oh, like, an alternate timeline Kat tracking down Loup's "borrowing" her Annie across timelines? That would be so cool.

I had forgotten neither Court Annie or Forest Annie actually belonged to this timeline. There was supposed to be no Annie here, after she fell off the bridge.

I wonder what that Arbiter being would make of the current Annie's existence.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Did this just never pay off? Or is the idea that Annie only exists because of Kat's time shennanigans with the mechanical birds, and that's why neither one "belongs"?

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Yeah I'm pretty sure the Norns outright said it was the latter.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Begemot posted:

Did this just never pay off? Or is the idea that Annie only exists because of Kat's time shennanigans with the mechanical birds, and that's why neither one "belongs"?

Yeah and the thing with Aata talking to them about Omega confirmed it. Annie surviving threw everything off with their calculations somehow and effectively made omega unreliable because she's supposed to have died from falling off the bridge. Which seems to be the reason why the court made their new plan to try to ditch the ether entirely. Since stuff like Annie just existing can ruin the accuracy of their predictions as a whole or whatever.

I guess all those jerks were right, everything really is Annie's (actually Kat's) fault. Good job.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Randalor posted:

Edit: or leaning into the "full-blown soap opera", Jenny is actually Zimmy's evil twin from the other side of the Star Ocean, who is trying to manipulate everyone into returning her there. Oh, and she's carrying Annie's child or something.

I think Annie is actually Zimmy's twin/other self/something. They definitely have some kind of connection which has been consistently teased.

* Annie can calm Zimmy's powers by touching her, something nobody else but Gamma can do
* Annie and Zimmy had the same haircut when they met.
* A and Z have an obvious connection.
* Annie is associated with fire/light and Zimmy with darkness
* It has frequently been said that Annie's ethereal powers are beyond what someone with her very mildly magical heritage should have.
* Zimmy has become confused with Annie multiple times in the Zimmy world, once taking on her face scar and another time being totally swapped with her.
* Jack, who is obsessed with Zimmy, developed a crush on Annie
* Annie and Gamma seem to naturally get along.
* Zimmy's name is Zeta, which is a greek character. She has not been aging, nor does she sleep or (seemingly) eat, implying that she's not actually a human being. I suspect she's some kind of artificial creation. Given Tony's shenanigans and the way Omega is named, it starts to paint a picture.
* The tiktok bird kept going to Zimmy when Kat was commanding it to find Annie. Gamma mentions that the bird is called the Thousand Eyes, which means the two of them must have been very familiar with it.
* The chapter where Z&G are introduced is called Two Strange Girls. Annie and Kat are on the cover, with their backs to the viewer, and Zeta and Gamma are drawn on the wall. We're meant to assume the title refers to Z&G or at a stretch Annie and Kat, but I think it refers to Zimmy and Annie. Gamma and Kat are comparitively pretty normal.
* One of the proposed etymologies for antimony is a greek word, "antimonos", which would mean anti-alone, or something along those lines. This is because antimony is never found unalloyed in nature. This describes Antimony's hybrid nature and we've seen attempts to separate her out into her constituent parts or combine her into new ones before. Since alchemy is a big theme of the story, I doubt Tom is unaware of this connection.
* Antimony was historically used in kohl, which the ancient egyptians used as black eyeliner. Zimmy's eyes are totally blacked out by some kind of unidentified gunk, which could just be magical darkness, but it rubs off when it rains in a way that makes it look like soot or grease. In either case, Tom can't not know about that if he looked up the alchemical symbol for antimony and put it in his comic.

There are a few things working against the theory, of course. Zimmy and Annie have different face shapes (Annie was still dorito head when they met), Annie doesn't have a Brummy accent, Zimmy doesn't seem to know Annie or Tony, Annie likes Kat and Zimmy is terrified of her. But all of that can be circumvented with plot bullshit.

A while back I guessed that Kat was Omega and was operating via her future self working in the past to correct some tragedy. This IMO is backed up by Zimmy saying there is no Omega - it's not a machine and it's possible it doesn't exist yet, but it could be a person with foreknowledge of a different (but related) timeline sending messages back to the present. The thing that really threw it off was time travel, which has butterfly effected a bunch of stuff. Who wants to bet that Tom hasn't seen Steins;Gate?

I think Kat's gonna "kill" Zimmy by merging her into Annie or something, and similarly Annie will "kill" Loup by cutting Jerrek and/or Ysengrin apart from him. This probably isnt going to be what they set out to do, but the robot shenanigans will get in the way unexpectedly and force a climax.

Or something. There are a lot of moving parts but if you squint and ignore the bad parts of the writing there are still pieces moving toward an ending.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Feb 1, 2023

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

I think this is a cool theory and I'd love to see it come to fruition. I had similar suspicions but I thought Zimmy might be some hosed up version of Kat. Jones describes her mind with computery terms, saying to imagine a machine like an Ether siphon in her head and relating Gamma to a heat sink. And Kat's goddess form looks similar to some of the poo poo in Zimmingham.

It would also be very ironic for the Ether-resistant character to become tortured and overloaded with it. And Annie easing her mind would make sense.

Maybe we are all Zimmy.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
....uh

tom you're kind of skipping really important plot points. and i've seen the stuff you spend time on so you arent gonna use pacing as an excuse here!

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

A big flaming stink posted:

....uh

tom you're kind of skipping really important plot points. and i've seen the stuff you spend time on so you arent gonna use pacing as an excuse here!

What are you talking about, he covered the Loup romance in as much detail as he could. :confused:

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

So are the square with rounded corners narration bubbles back to the DRAMATISATION from the first page of the chapter? A dramatization of Loup is the only reason I can think of to describe anything he has done as involving "bitter wrath".

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
This isn't a joke post, I'm genuinely guessing Tom's has decided to speed run the ending. Which is probably a good plan and if he's planning on doing something new after everything wraps up I'll be reading from day 1.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Arbetor posted:

So are the square with rounded corners narration bubbles back to the DRAMATISATION from the first page of the chapter? A dramatization of Loup is the only reason I can think of to describe anything he has done as involving "bitter wrath".

I'm guessing it's supposed to be Annie narrating, considering the last time we saw Loup, he was too busy being in love to worry about things like "bitter wrath", and Annie isn't aware that Loup is Jerrik. Honestly, with the opening page, I would almost think this was supposed to either be the Halloween comic that missed its deadline by a few monthes, or the lead-in to Halloween.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Splicer posted:

This isn't a joke post, I'm genuinely guessing Tom's has decided to speed run the ending. Which is probably a good plan and if he's planning on doing something new after everything wraps up I'll be reading from day 1.

If this is how he ends projects, I'm not really interested in whatever he wants to do next.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Splicer posted:

This isn't a joke post, I'm genuinely guessing Tom's has decided to speed run the ending.

Yeah kinda getting Xenogears disc 2 vibes here.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I thought Kat was planning to use Omega to find Zimmy to warn her, why is she still trying to use it when they found her already?

Maybe I missed something, I dunno, its been kinda of hard keeping track of whats actually going on lately

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

I thought Kat was planning to use Omega to find Zimmy to warn her, why is she still trying to use it when they found her already?

Maybe I missed something, I dunno, its been kinda of hard keeping track of whats actually going on lately

No, Kat was just being "Think of everything we can do with it!" Then when Annie asked if it could be used to find Zimmy, Kat responded "Well, amongst other things, sure". So it's less "She wanted to use it to find Zimmy" and more "She wanted to use it and maybe find Zimmy".

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2718

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Splicer posted:

Comedy option, it will all be wrapped up this month.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Dammerung posted:

Comedy option, it will all be wrapped up this month.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

isasphere posted:

I wonder how much Kat actually remembers from the events of Divine? When Annie wakes up, Kat wakes up too and thinks it was all a dream.

Which is a shame because Kat seemed sympathetic to Zimmy once she saw that Zimmy's attitude was fear that was real and strong, if baffling to Kat.

Oh good point. I totally forgot Kat has basically no memory of that either. That is sad, but I get it (then, at least lol).

Splicer posted:

I don't mind a time skip but over half this page is dedicated to poo poo we already know :cry:

Not to repeat this again, but the comic has completely lost focus. I can only think the Kat/Zimmy and Annie/Loup conclusions will be related, but I can't really tell or care because it's all a mess.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

People screaming in anguish as Loup and his gf share photos of their vacation to Paris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

worm girl posted:

words giving tom too much credit

if you had wrote all this like 10 years ago i might've given it some creedence, but he definetely either gave up on all of these things, or never actually planned them in the first place. or hey, maybe it'll all be ramrodded into a single page so we can get back to loup's romance, who knows anymore?

Splicer posted:

why would you voluntarily sign up to be disappointed like this a second time?