Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Jeanne has the scariest face :ohdear:

I can not help but wonder if Coyote's tooth might play some role in this chapter. Of course, I have no idea if Annie brought it with her or even if she would have any access to it while stuck in ethereal form. I don't think she has any training in its use yet, either, but maybe Parley could do something with it?

<ninja edit> Helloo new page!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Phy posted:

Par-lee. It's only Par-lay when she's a pirate.
I also think Par-lee.

Micgael
Aug 8, 2007

"Gimme a kiss."
Camp Par-lay

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I don't see why a god's tooth shouldn't be able to cut a ghost in half.

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
It's Par-lay.

Psych
Feb 13, 2005

The Infernal

Oneiros posted:

I can not help but wonder if Coyote's tooth might play some role in this chapter. Of course, I have no idea if Annie brought it with her or even if she would have any access to it while stuck in ethereal form. I don't think she has any training in its use yet, either, but maybe Parley could do something with it?

If you can't lose a blinker stone I bet sure as hell you can't lose a god's tooth. And it is definitely going to have an ethereal form.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

Psych posted:

If you can't lose a blinker stone I bet sure as hell you can't lose a god's tooth. And it is definitely going to have an ethereal form.

A few months from now, some crazy things are going to happen in the court, and Annie is going to sleep fearfully with Coyote's tooth tucked under her pillow. She will awaken to find that it's vanished, replaced with a gigantic diamond and a note reading "OH WOW, THANKS! - TF"

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Nicolae Carpathia posted:

A few months from now, some crazy things are going to happen in the court, and Annie is going to sleep fearfully with Coyote's tooth tucked under her pillow. She will awaken to find that it's vanished, replaced with a gigantic diamond and a note reading "OH WOW, THANKS! - TF"
Fairies in GC are such jerks. :argh:

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I never found the comic that explained why the forest dwellers couldn't ford the river. If the faeries wanted to die they could just ask the scary ghost who was eager to kill.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

A student posted:

I never found the comic that explained why the forest dwellers couldn't ford the river. If the faeries wanted to die they could just ask the scary ghost who was eager to kill.

She might do worse than kill them.

EDIT: Hey, here's a fun thing we can do. This was the page that got me into Gunnerkrigg. I remember a bunch of goons making a big deal out of "It goes up again!" and I wanted to see what the hullabaloo was all about.

Doesn't hold a candle to my favorite panel of all time, though. Panel Four.

Dodgeball fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Sep 30, 2010

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
You know who would be good at travelling through the riverbed, with a little modification?

Boxbot.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

Dodgeball posted:

\
EDIT: Hey, here's a fun thing we can do. This was the page that got me into Gunnerkrigg. I remember a bunch of goons making a big deal out of "It goes up again!" and I wanted to see what the hullabaloo was all about.

The page after that has what is probably my favorite panel, where she's giving Annie/Kat the finger. My second favorite panel? The one where Coyote says "Hey Antelope! Nice FACE you have! FOR A GIANT IDIOT I MEAN AHAHAHAHAHAHA I AM SO SMART!"

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Dammit Who? posted:

The page after that has what is probably my favorite panel, where she's giving Annie/Kat the finger.

Holy poo poo I never realized that :aaa:

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Dammit Who? posted:

The page after that has what is probably my favorite panel, where she's giving Annie/Kat the finger. My second favorite panel? The one where Coyote says "Hey Antelope! Nice FACE you have! FOR A GIANT IDIOT I MEAN AHAHAHAHAHAHA I AM SO SMART!"

It really is great.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Rereading the old pages has really got me wondering exactly what went on when Reynardine entered the stuffed dog. It sure looked like he was going for Annie, but given how he adores Surma killing her daughter seems a bit off. However, if he was actually going for the dog toy, he wouldn't have reacted so strongly to Jim knocking her out of the way...

Unless what he was actually so concerned about was realizing the dog would trap him clearly for the first time. If we assume that the actual sequence is: attempts to get in dog, Annie is knocked out of the way, he realizes he'd be forced to serve Annie, then it makes a bit more sense.

It still doesn't quite feel like it fits, visual-composition-wise, but that may just be trying to throw us.

Or I'm just crazy.

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Sep 30, 2010

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a better explanation, but we don't have enough information yet.

Maybe it has something to do with Sivo? I dunno, it just seems like there's more to that story.

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?
How many years (in GC time) have passed since This comic? Because I'm pretty sure that when Annie's dad returns, it's going to be a fairly big deal.

Also, I must say that I hate when I click on a link, because I spend so much time re-reading this comic. I reread at least 6 chapters tonight. I will now subject you to the same things, as this comic is one of my favorites.

I also love how this comic is so easy to read daily, in chapter form, and then from chapter to chapter. This is a great story, and I can't wait to see it update.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
After that, the summer vacation and a few months of school. Less than six months, I'd say.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Dammit Cozz I need to sleep :argh:

Anyway, the comment on this page is probably relevant to the current storyline. I'm not really sure what it means, but maybe I'm just being thick and/or forgetful again.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I'm going to say either 'waiting' or 'powerless.'

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Sure seems like 'waiting' to me.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
I wondered upon first read if it was "YOU" in the first panel. Might imply that other death gods have bent the rules before. But "waiting" seems more likely now.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
How is it not "alone"? She saw her lover killed before her eyes and is angry at Parley for daring to have emotions and love, and all that stuff.

Clearly what Jeanne needs is a group hug.

Detetsu
Jan 14, 2006

Your loyal assistant Dr. Meowgon is all over this one.

Brannock posted:

How is it not "alone"? She saw her lover killed before her eyes and is angry at Parley for daring to have emotions and love, and all that stuff.

What Jeanne needs is to hug Diego.

Around the throat.
With her sword calloused hands.
Tightly.

That prick.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Brannock posted:

Jeanne needs to loving get over it, frankly.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!

Jeanne needs to loving get over it, frankly.

Yeah I'm sure a ghost will have an easy time moving on, especially when it's implied the (clearly magical) arrow did something to gently caress her soul over forever!

I was trying to work out the timeline of this because I was kind of confused by it at first but it's actually outlined quite clearly in the "silent" Jeanne pages. The first few have the Court and the forest intermingling, then Coyote appears, divides the two with the river, then everything we saw in the Diego flashback happens. I know people were debating timeline stuff earlier so I thought I would share :shobon:

Parley has a pretty determined face in that last panel, I wonder if she's going to do something besides what Annie's said.

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

i'm so glad to have made such an interesting new friend
Clearly the way to pacify Jeanne's ghost is to reunite her, somehow, with her lover. I bet his soul is still where his remains are, so ...

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
So this means Kat gets to build a submarine after all :D

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
Here's how I'm thinking the next few pages will go:

Friday: Something horrible happens.
Monday: Aftermath of something horrible happening.
Filler page, end of chapter, and possibly hiatus.

Perfect way to torture GC readers for a week (or possibly longer).

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I'll post one of my favorites too! No it isn't relevant to anything at all.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Would the court actually be in danger from the forest if Jeanne's ghost weren't there, though? I keeps the glass-eyed men away, and some of them are not friendly. And Ysengrim tried something sneaky with seeds during his last visit.

Edit: It seems like we're getting kind of close to the end of the school year, to me. So the torture of readers is perfectly possible.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

wdarkk posted:

Rereading the old pages has really got me wondering exactly what went on when Reynardine entered the stuffed dog. It sure looked like he was going for Annie, but given how he adores Surma killing her daughter seems a bit off. However, if he was actually going for the dog toy, he wouldn't have reacted so strongly to Jim knocking her out of the way...

Unless what he was actually so concerned about was realizing the dog would trap him clearly for the first time. If we assume that the actual sequence is: attempts to get in dog, Annie is knocked out of the way, he realizes he'd be forced to serve Annie, then it makes a bit more sense.

It still doesn't quite feel like it fits, visual-composition-wise, but that may just be trying to throw us.

Or I'm just crazy.

My two cents is that the whole thing was a ruse. The dog was his target all along, he just wanted everyone thinking he was dead until he could get away so he faked like he was making for Annie in order to get blocked by Eglamore. He didn't realize he'd be forced to obey Annie until too late, but hey. Still a marked improvement in his situation.

Edit: And once he realizes, he tells her because he really just wants to be able to hang out with the closest thing he'll get to Surma again without Annie freaking out all the time.

Benagain fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Sep 30, 2010

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

I honestly think you're reading way too much into that scene. Reynardine is a trickster, a wild animal, and a bit of a dick. Given the choice between languishing in chains with an old body and a gimped leg for god only knows how long, or leaping into the young teenage daughter of a lady he once had the hots for, he went for Annie. She wouldn't have died so long as he hung out in her body, and I doubt he was thinking that far ahead when an opportunity to escape presented itself.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

dumb brunette posted:

Yeah I'm sure a ghost will have an easy time moving on, especially when it's implied the (clearly magical) arrow did something to gently caress her soul over forever!

Lots of people see their lovers murdered before their eyes and they don't turn into spectral beings of pure hatred. Jeanne is just being overly dramatic.

Mike McC
Oct 9, 2009

Cozz posted:

How many years (in GC time) have passed since This comic? Because I'm pretty sure that when Annie's dad returns, it's going to be a fairly big deal.

Uthor posted:

After that, the summer vacation and a few months of school. Less than six months, I'd say.
I'd say closer to a year, because I dunno it just feels like there's going to be a summer vacation again soon.

But yeah, it's gonna be a while before daddy shows up.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Pester posted:

And Ysengrim tried something sneaky with seeds during his last visit.

I'm still curious what was up with that, I don't think it got brought up again.

Kismet posted:

Given the choice between languishing in chains with an old body and a gimped leg for god only knows how long, or leaping into the young teenage daughter of a lady he once had the hots for, he went for Annie. She wouldn't have died so long as he hung out in her body, and I doubt he was thinking that far ahead when an opportunity to escape presented itself.

Plus he didn't really know her then, so he wouldn't have had too much of a problem with that.

Lots of people see their lovers murdered before their eyes and they don't turn into spectral beings of pure hatred. Jeanne is just being overly dramatic.

Murdered by people they're close to and trust?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Lots of people see their lovers murdered before their eyes and they don't turn into spectral beings of pure hatred.

You're right, some turn into Batman. Though he's kind of a drama queen too.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Nuns with Guns posted:

You're right, some turn into Batman. Though he's kind of a drama queen too.

HIS PARENTS ARE DEAD!

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

Kismet posted:

I honestly think you're reading way too much into that scene. Reynardine is a trickster, a wild animal, and a bit of a dick. Given the choice between languishing in chains with an old body and a gimped leg for god only knows how long, or leaping into the young teenage daughter of a lady he once had the hots for, he went for Annie. She wouldn't have died so long as he hung out in her body, and I doubt he was thinking that far ahead when an opportunity to escape presented itself.

It's going to be really AWKWARD when Reynardine temporaily assumes a true human form. (no, stuffed plush with pecs form does not count).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Remember, what Steadman shot was no ordinary arrow.