Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

"My name is Antimony Carver. I would like to share with you the strange events that took place while I attended school at..."

Gunnerkrigg Court is a webcomic by Tom Siddell. That is, this fellow:

(on the right)

It updates Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, like clockwork. Seriously, without fail. Siddell is a machine. He is also a member of these forums, and posts under the name Tea-san. Gunnerkrigg Court has won numerous Webcomic/Web Cartoonist awards, and has been praised by Neil Gaiman. It features ghosts, magic, folklore, politics, robots, fairies, scientists, alchemy and more mysteries than you could shake a stick at. It's moody, funny, beautiful and addictive...and really, that's all you need to know.

I Need to Know More

Alright, fine. The comic is set in and around the titular court - an institute founded around mankind's technological achievements and incessant curiosity, where science and magic are melded together for...well, a purpose that as yet is not quite clear. As Coyote says (and why shouldn't we trust him?) "It is man's endeavor to become god".

Beyond the Court is Gillitie Wood, inhabited by wild, magical and folkloric beings who don't take kindly to the students or their technology. While a truce currently exists between the Wood and the Court, most of the driving force of the plot comes from the tension between these two worlds. The rest comes from every single character being loving wonderful.

If this still isn't enough for you, read the Wikipedia article. Or, better yet, the comic.

Where do I begin?

At the beginning, genius. The story is divided into chapters, all of which are self-contained and conveniently linked to from the main page. While you could probably dive in at the beginning of any chapter and follow it perfectly well, half of the joy of Gunnerkrigg Court comes from watching the chapters weave gradually into a larger series of narratives. You would also miss out on some of the wonderful repeat characters who bring the supporting cast to life. And apparently some people are too dumb to follow the plot even in context, so please just start from the start.

Endorsements

Neil Motherfucking Gaiman posted:

A really enjoyable webcomic...Lots of different flavours in there -- it's a semi-gothic funny-sweet school story with mysteries and robots and so forth -- but I kept finding myself reminded of the early days of reading Bone. Nice stuff.

1stGear posted:

Just read the entire archive and added a new webcomic to my bookmarks. Hot drat that was good, and I can definitely see why Neil Gaiman likes it.

I would advise new readers to not get turned off by the first few stories, like I nearly was. It definitely gets a lot better.

Spiderdrake posted:

This webcomic is a masterpiece and anyone who hasn't given it a shot is doing themselves a disservice.

Lurdiak posted:

If you don't like the current GC arc you are a poo poo dude from planet crap.

Links

The Gunnerkrigg Court Wiki
Siddell's Formspring Page
Printed Volumes One, Two [out of stock] and Three!

:siren: Want to support the comic? :siren:

Sport a sexy avatar! - this comic really lends itself to excellent avatar material, so there are tons up for grabs.

Donate to Tom's tea and biscuit fund or hit up the Topatoco store for wonderful things:

Fan Art

by FunkyAl

by GreatJob

by Kismet

by TheNork

by UnconventionalOven

by YellowYams

And Just For the Record

Kismet fucked around with this message at 11:48 on May 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
Since this is a new thread, which may draw new readers, should we use spoilers when discussing older chapters? Just wondering.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

I suppose we should. Common sense rules, I guess. Spoiler anything big, at least until we're a few pages in. I'd hope most people have the sense not to read more than a page or two through a discussion thread for something they've never read.

Speaking of which, I think we left off in the webcomics thread speculating about Jeanne and whether the robot's version of events was accurate, or whether we're about to see her demise. :ohdear:

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
If y'all are reading through page 1, wondering whether you should give this comic a try: stop before you spoil yourself on something. It's really great! Read it all and talk about it with us.

Jeanne is waiting for someone, or something. The only option I can think of is the hunky green elf. Which begs the question, what happened to him? Also, wasn't Jeanne on the forest side of the waters when Annie first encountered her?

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Fecha posted:

If y'all are reading through page 1, wondering whether you should give this comic a try: stop before you spoil yourself on something. It's really great! Read it all and talk about it with us.

Jeanne is waiting for someone, or something. The only option I can think of is the hunky green elf. Which begs the question, what happened to him? Also, wasn't Jeanne on the forest side of the waters when Annie first encountered her?

Maybe she isn't bound to one side. It's the river that she's attached to. Unless you're speculating about why she was on the other side.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

To new readers: Enjoy a long binge on the archives, and then join the rest of us in dying for the next update! It would be nice never to have read it just so that I can read it all the first time.

Annie was on the forest side of the river the first time we saw Jeanne, and she was on the court side. Muut said that she wouldn't be able to cross, but she did somehow anyway.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE BOXBOT!

...terrible...

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Judging by this wednesday's comic, we're seeing the penultimate moments of Jeanne's life - right now I'm wondering what exactly the Elf guy will do when he sees her death.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

^^ loving Boxbot, I said no! :argh:

I wonder if hunky green elf is shot down while crossing the river and she refuses to climb back up - or somebody Court side cuts off her lifeline - leaving her to waste away on the shore. Diego doesn't have the guts to cross the Court by rescuing her, so she dies down there, leaving him respectable but haunted by guilt. Or is that too dark by GC standards? There have definitely been signs from the beginning that the Court has resorted to cold behaviour to preserve itself in the past. The pigeon story everyone seemed to dislike so much could be fairly emblematic of the Court moving gradually, pragmatically forward.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

This webcomic is a masterpiece and anyone who hasn't given it a shot is doing themselves a disservice.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

I like Boxbot, you all are going to feel super ridiculous when it turns out that Jones is actually Boxbot's alter ego.

thousandcranes
Sep 25, 2007

Fecha posted:

Jeanne starts out on the opposite bank from Annie and the fairies (Court Side?) and Muut says she cannot cross. Surprise, she can!

I think that she probably should not be able to cross, based on what Muut says.

Relevant section starts here: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=135

thousandcranes fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Sep 24, 2010

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

wdarkk posted:

Judging by this wednesday's comic, we're seeing the penultimate moments of Jeanne's life - right now I'm wondering what exactly the Elf guy will do when he sees her death.

In the chapter where Kat and Annie found out what happened, wasn't it revealed that the person she had loved died? So maybe he dies here and then something else happens. Either that or it's not her elf boyfriend coming towards her.

Nicolae Carpathia posted:

I like Boxbot, you all are going to feel super ridiculous when it turns out that Jones is actually Boxbot's alter ego.

:sotw:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I try to wait until a whole chapter is finished before reading, treating it like a comic book instead of the webcomic it is.

Copernic posted:

GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE BOXBOT!

...terrible...

Yeah, Jeanne died and you did nothing! Stupid Boxbot.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Has no meaning posted:

I try to wait until a whole chapter is finished before reading, treating it like a comic book instead of the webcomic it is.

Gunnerkrigg as a quarterly? Actually, I'd be interested in seeing what Tom Siddell could turn out art-wise with that much time to work with in between releases.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Can anyone here translate the Polish on this page?

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I remember it being something along the lines of

"Stupid..."

"That's not a very nice thing to say."

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Free translation software says:
"Stupid"
then
"That was not very nice."

Edit: Beaten. I should probably not leave the post window open for so long.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

Mr. Heliotrope posted:

:sotw:

BOXBOT WHAT DID WE JUST SAY?

Elftor
Jan 10, 2003

Copernic posted:

BOXBOT WHAT DID WE JUST SAY?

Ugh. Why can't he be more like Robox?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Did somebody say boxbot? I swear somebody said boxbot.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
I've been thinking that Jeanne could be what the court uses to kill people who want to defect to the forest side. When the fairies are down there they're waiting on someone to smash them so they can become human and go to the court (which ysengrin 'helps' them with) so I have to assume a similar thing exists for humans wanting to go the opposite way. Of course Aly didn't need to get smashed when he turned into a bird so I dunno. It would make sense though why Jeanne crossed the river since Annie is a human and the fairies aren't.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Bro and Maplehoof: Go beyond the impossible!
:kamina:

I'm not surprised that Nicolae Carpathia would like Boxbot.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Jervas Dudley posted:

I'm not surprised that Nicolae Carpathia would like Boxbot.

Robox doesn't even have arms. He can't do anything! ROBOX IS USELESS

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

You can put your Pokéwalker on him.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Shut your lying mouth, mister.

So, um, does anyone know what time GC is supposed to update at? :f5:

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Pester posted:

Midnight exactly, PST.

Speaking of, people called it. Goodbye nameless sexy elf :(

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Pester posted:

3:00 AM EST

So, 3 minutes ago.

:aaa:

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Pester posted:

Boxbot is unjustly persecuted. Who will speak for the Boxbots of the world?

Micgael
Aug 8, 2007

"Gimme a kiss."
Unnamed green forest man? He died because we did nothing something.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Laser cows, how could you?

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Noooo green dude.

nooo...

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Guess it's time for some suicide.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
It's about bloody time this had its own thread :)

I'm really enjoying this chapter, which is bittersweet because it just cannot update fast enough :f5: I'm quite glad though, I didn't particularly get much out of the Kat/Paz chapter - I understand it was meant to give Kat some depth (pointing out how she's gotten bitter and resentful since seeing jolly little elf hunk's assassination) but I just couldn't get into it :(

This chapter, on the other hand, kicks rear end. In fact, any time that Tea-san stops writing comments under the comments kicks rear end.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

This is canon until clarified.

I'm also loving the heck out of this chapter, it's pretty cool to get the other side of Jeanne's story. But Monday is so far :smith:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Geez, archer dude is an arsehole.

I assume the present Headmaster is one of his descendents? It would be interesting if this is what ends up causing the rift between the Court and Gillitie Wood, and how the Annan Waters becomes deadly to every who passes through it.

Also Smitty is sooo the god of Gunnerkrigg Court.

Also... did Diego talk to Jeanne about living that 'traitor'? It can't possibly be the green forest dude, right?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Alright i'll start giving this a read while waiting MSPA for updates.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

frajaq posted:

Alright i'll start giving this a read while waiting MSPA for updates.

And soon enough you'll be reading MSPA while waiting for GC updates.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Why do you make me do bad things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psych
Feb 13, 2005

The Infernal

He can play soccer, that's more then Boxbot could ever do.