Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Anyone else feel like Annie's pose in the "do something about this" panel has a lot of photoshop potential?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!

RIP eyebrows boy

Dr Strangepants fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 23, 2017

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Muut is still upset with Annie for squishing that ant to get his attention.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Mort's dissolution into nothingness now utterly meaningless. GJ Annie.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Splicer posted:

Mort's utterly meaningless.

hosed up if true.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Maybe the big growth of this arc is annie accepting their formal job offer in exchange for healing smitty?

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Fried Chicken posted:

Maybe the big growth of this arc is annie accepting their formal job offer in exchange for healing smitty?

Annie goes full fire elemental and utters the phrase "Heroes Never Die!"

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I'm going to assume now that Parley's ability to control her teleportation really does rely on Smitty's help because otherwise I can't understand why they're still here. Then again I guess the last few pages have probably taken less than a minute so I can understand if they haven't instantly bipped away just yet. We have the benefit of multiple days to process the information going on

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
They owe nothing because obviously Smitty is not dying and in need of their help.

This is the only logical answer.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

cant cook creole bream posted:

Come to think of it, who exactly did all the final recordings for Jeannes clients? How deep does this go?

It's possible that she didn't care about the spirits of the dead, despite killing psychopomps. Possibly despite not really being living creatures they're close enough for Jeanne.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
There's also the possibility that guiding people into the ether buys psychopomps/others extra time in existence. It would be a reason why they fight over dead people. Smitty may have bought himself extra time just by being there. There's nothing to back that up other than I want Smitty to be okay.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

There are two options

1) Smitty is not dying so they don't have to do anything anyway

2) He is dying in which case it's literally going against their entire existence and purpose to stop that

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

A big flaming stink posted:

i'm still not clear on why they involved zero adults, or even jones.

Jones almost outright told her not to get her involved because she'd be forced to tell the Court.

Roland Jones posted:

In short, hopefully this results in Annie killing a lot more psychopomps than Jeanne ever could. Burn them all, Annie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLnecKDUweA&t=9s

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 23, 2017

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Did anyone else read it as them all speaking together?

That's how I'm hearing the dialogue.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jan 24, 2017

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Yes. At first, I thought it was Muut but then I saw that the speech bubbles didn't actually come from anywhere.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
The lack of arrows on the dialog boxes supports that interpretation (I've been reading it that way as well).

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!
I thought it was just Mutt since he is highlighted against the rest, but it is extra creepy that way.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I thought so too. But do you think they speak perfectly synchronized, or with ever so slight time differences to make it sound like an echo?
I can't decide which one would be creepier.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

As far as final records go, you can do much worse than "There's something on your face."

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Moot would be rolling in his grave if it weren't for the fact that he's erased from existence.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Reading on from there, Annie should have picked up some negotiating tips from Jones.

Mardragon
Mar 4, 2004
Cinderella boy... Out of nowhere...
Yam Slacker
I'm betting they don't owe her anything because she got/wanted something out of the deal whether she knew it or not as is implied here: http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1336

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Goddammit Ankou why aren't you dissenting?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Annointed posted:

What about him makes you think he would?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

What about him makes you think he would?

Because he gave ~magical exposition to explain jeanne & her conundrum offscreen~ so I assume that he'd have some reason to help annie in some way.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to guess that there's Ankou/Boxbot fanfic out there. Written by boxbot of course.

E:FB

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Huh, Jones hasn't been in the comic since Annie became the Forest Medium.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

ROTD dude will slide into frame and call everyone idiots.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

cant cook creole bream posted:

I thought so too. But do you think they speak perfectly synchronized, or with ever so slight time differences to make it sound like an echo?
I can't decide which one would be creepier.
I hear it as them speaking in sync. As one overwhelming voice based on how they loom rather ominously over her in the first panel.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

ElMaligno posted:

ROTD dude will slide into frame and call everyone idiots.

But there's no door for him to innocuously saunter out of! He's been foiled!

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

He died and we owed nothing.

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah

Dr Strangepants posted:

RIP eyebrows boy

Mighty Eyebrows are eternal

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Conot posted:

But there's no door for him to innocuously saunter out of! He's been foiled!
Slap some wood on Smitty's chest.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Annointed posted:

Because he's a coward? Dude does a lot of dramatic swooping away and clutching at his scythe at the slightest sign of conflict.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Someone's about to get a very important life lesson, but I'm not sure if it's Annie or the collection of psychopomps.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Or a very important death lesson.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
Who will pay in his place then?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
ok all defenses of the chapter aside I am a... bit confused why Parley doesn't just... go?

I mean sure maybe she does need Smitty up and running to teleport but she hasn't even tried, nor was that made clear to us

maybe too far?

or...

ok, mayyyybe-

Parley didn't want to teleport him right away, because she feared hurting him more/he had a ghost dagger in him that could mess up teleporting + she didn't want to abandon the others while Jeanne was still a threat

then the ghosts leave although Parley wants to stick around juuuust to make sure and Smitty seemed stable enough...

until the ghost dagger fades out and now he's gone from wounded to critical and I guess Parley's just waiting for the A-OK from Annie to peace out? Except Annie's wasting time trying to plead with essentially Death and they really do not have time for musical combat right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
"That's right Antimony, you really messed up there! Now go and help us some more. Try not to get other people killed in the process."