Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Aw, the site is down. Can't see the comic :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
After reading the comic strip megathread it struck me that Gunnerkrigg share a fair bit with the Moomins. They have a similar blend of the munadane and everyday mixed with the fantastic and they both share a snes of good natured Whimsy.

Gunnerkrigg is a bit more serious though, more along with the more serious themes Tove Jansson tackled in her Moomin books.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Leovinus posted:

Robot friend. :3:

(There's a typo in panel 4, by the way.)
Where? I can't find it.

Also, site's up for me.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Elysiume posted:

Where? I can't find it.

Also, site's up for me.

It's been fixed since that post. It said "time" instead of "times"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Leovinus posted:

It was established when Antimony first met Coyote that the Gunnerkrigg administration (at least, the headmaster) does not give much of a poo poo about the forest. Not a big surprise that Foley doesn't get treated too well, seeing as how it seems to be made up of ex-foresters.

Although, if you were fresh out of the forest, would you really feel comfortable going to school in a gleaming faceless miesian edifice of steel and glass?

Maybe you might I dunno

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I think you're all reading way too much into a few cracks, given that the rest of Gunnerkrigg is full of them too.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Yeah, I mean, remember way back in the third comic ever: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=3

The court's just naturally run down. The robots keep everything hanging together, but the place is ancient and huge and no one's interested in surface appearances. And it's not like there's gonna be an Ofsted inspection anytime soon.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Fangz posted:

Yeah, I mean, remember way back in the third comic ever: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=3

The court's just naturally run down. The robots keep everything hanging together, but the place is ancient and huge and no one's interested in surface appearances. And it's not like there's gonna be an Ofsted inspection anytime soon.

Actually I think this explains all the cracks quite nicely: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=31 :colbert:

But really, it's a massive, massive massive massive place that appears to be maintained only enough to function, not look nice. Besides, how would you keep a place that big looking good?

nothings
Sep 29, 2008

Niton posted:

Robot has a name, though.

I assume from the above link you're inferring his actual name is "S13". But note the label on the box here: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=8. (Just noticed this when I started reading forward from Fangz' link.)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

nothings posted:

I assume from the above link you're inferring his actual name is "S13". But note the label on the box here: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=8. (Just noticed this when I started reading forward from Fangz' link.)

That seems to have been retconned a little, I think, since he's based on S1, which stood for Seraph 1.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Orbital mechanics, a fine choice.

Metoron
Jun 5, 2006
Hurm.
Just noticed that all the former forest dwellers have those same grey eyes. Nice little touch there I didn't note before.

Example from earlier in the comic.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Well, that's not what I was expecting for the Foley lessons.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Zorak posted:

Hahaha nerd. :v:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Zorak posted:

I knew those equations looked familiar.

Okay, maybe just the G(M+m) part. Had to have something to do with gravity :v:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tarezax posted:

I knew those equations looked familiar.

Okay, maybe just the G(M+m) part. Had to have something to do with gravity :v:

The diagrams are kinda a giveaway too.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
I'm still holding out hope that any minute now a bell's going to ring, or Twisted Sister's going to start playing over the loudspeaker, and the real lesson will start.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Metoron posted:

Just noticed that all the former forest dwellers have those same grey eyes. Nice little touch there I didn't note before.

Example from earlier in the comic.

Hahaha, I remember when I first saw this page, I thought the girl in the extreme lower right had the biggest :downs: face of all time. And... lacked irises.

Regarding today, to me, the most surprising part of all of this is that they're studying in a classroom with interior windows and actually paying attention. I'd always be distracted by people walking by if that was me.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Wow, what a revelation! Who would have thought that Red is a jerk?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Fecha posted:

Wow, what a revelation! Who would have thought that Red is a jerk?

Not sure where you'd getting that.

She acknowledges the Annie, then goes back to work. That makes me think that either A) her class is super strict and she'd get in trouble for doing more than glancing over, or B) forest creatures really love orbital math. (Unlikely)

Given the the Court doesn't seem to really like the forest, I wonder if this is a "stop being all forest-y wacky" Court policy in place.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Bobulus posted:

Not sure where you'd getting that.

She acknowledges the Annie, then goes back to work. That makes me think that either A) her class is super strict and she'd get in trouble for doing more than glancing over, or B) forest creatures really love orbital math. (Unlikely)

Given the the Court doesn't seem to really like the forest, I wonder if this is a "stop being all forest-y wacky" Court policy in place.

Yeah, I'm wondering if the lessons are designed to drain their...forest-y...personalities away and make them act more appropriate for the Court, or if inexplicably learning by rote from boring-rear end lectures is the best way forest-dwellers can learn the Court curriculum and they're all just really focused.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Well, that answers that question. Let's not assume the worst of the court just because the kids are all concentrating in a physics class.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

I just got done reading the whole thing, and I have to say that this page is my recent favorite. (robox)

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
It's very impolite to disrupt a class in progress Annie!

EDIT: I'm halfway hoping they are studying J. Moriarty's 'Dynamics of An Asteroid'.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 6, 2012

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

LtStorm posted:

Yeah, I'm wondering if the lessons are designed to drain their...forest-y...personalities away and make them act more appropriate for the Court, or if inexplicably learning by rote from boring-rear end lectures is the best way forest-dwellers can learn the Court curriculum and they're all just really focused.

Or maybe science is super interesting when you've lived in a magic forest with a living god your whole life!

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
There needs to be a "random Gunnerkrigg page" button so that I can waste more time at work.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Insane Totoro posted:

There needs to be a "random Gunnerkrigg page" button so that I can waste more time at work.

That would destroy me.

With regard to today's page, I think it interesting that the instructor seems to be from the forest too (pointy ears). I wonder how common that is or if it's just a thing with Foley.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Insane Totoro posted:

But you'd only hit it once, then read forward from there.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Kismet posted:

Or maybe science is super interesting when you've lived in a magic forest with a living god your whole life!

Or maybe science is just super interesting!

Remember: even Kat and Annie were taking "Double Physics" and such!

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Also if you stop paying attention for even a moment in one of these lectures you will be lost and spend the entire time trying to catch back up because you missed what that crucial eccentricity equation means and then when you figure it out you missed another equation and the process repeats itself and why yes this is a thing that has happened to me why do you ask?

It's the most realistic depiction of a science lecture I've seen in entertainment to date.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
If there is a place in the Court that's all run-down and cracked, it's probably the humanities department.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

Shugojin posted:

But you'd only hit it once, then read forward from there.

No you see, you would hit it once every day at work and never do anything again.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Zorak posted:

Or maybe science is just super interesting!

Remember: even Kat and Annie were taking "Double Physics" and such!

I think "Double 'class x'" is just a schedule thing where you have two class periods in the same subject back-to-back.

We've seen that Foley students don't get a summer break, so I think their schooling is just that intense.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Insane Totoro posted:

Feel free to hate me.
Create a bookmark, replace the url with this:
code:
javascript:window.location="http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID="+Math.ceil(Math.random()*983)
Or if that doesn't work, try this:
code:
javascript:window.location%3D%22http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=%22+Math.ceil(Math.random()*983)

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I'm reading The Pale King right now and I'm in the middle of a scene that's exactly like this, just endless equations that I don't understand. For a second I crossed wires and thought that Annie was in training to be an accountant.

Yes I don't know math for poo poo beyond basic trig.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Benagain posted:

I'm reading The Pale King right now and I'm in the middle of a scene that's exactly like this, just endless equations that I don't understand. For a second I crossed wires and thought that Annie was in training to be an accountant.

Yes I don't know math for poo poo beyond basic trig.

My accounting courses are exactly like this.

Thankfully, the GK archives have helped me through some of the more depression inducing lectures.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

Geekner posted:

Feel free to hate me.
Create a bookmark, replace the url with this:
code:
javascript:window.location="http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID="+Math.ceil(Math.random()*983)
Or if that doesn't work, try this:
code:
javascript:window.location%3D%22http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=%22+Math.ceil(Math.random()*983)

Whew! Doesn't work in Chrome!

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Insane Totoro posted:

Whew! Doesn't work in Chrome!

Odd, I wrote it in chrome. Did you create a bookmark and paste it in? Sometimes the "java script:" bit gets cut off when pasting.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

Geekner posted:

Odd, I wrote it in chrome. Did you create a bookmark and paste it in? Sometimes the "java script:" bit gets cut off when pasting.

Nope. Just plain doesn't work for me :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Do you have java downloaded