Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Kat is a Girl of Science. She will absolutely not accept "Coyote Did It" as an explaination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

HPK posted:

Oh man, I hadn't reconsidered, "What if one or both of these Annies is actually Coyote?"

edit: ...and oh my god Coyote has Renard as a familiar now.
If one of the Annies is Coyote, Renard has a contract with Annie only and both Annies have Renard as a familiar, Annie and Coyote must be the same.

Thus, Loup is also Annie and all the people who make out that this is all Annie's fault are completely correct.

HPK
Mar 25, 2003
guy
Just think about parallels with Phantom Pain, too.

Tom played us like a drat fiddle!

edit: I'll admit that for my theory to be true, both Annies and probably also the translator ghost have to be either Coyote or Loup, and we still wouldn't know when or how the switcheroo happened.

HPK fucked around with this message at 08:42 on May 15, 2020

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
aww, kat's having her entire worldview shattered

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I know it's been said but the many worlds interpretation is not new Kat!

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Splicer posted:

but traversal between those worlds is!

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
In a perverse way it's probably a bit less guilt-inducing for the Annies to know that Kat's problem with them is intellectual frustration rather than feeling that she has a moral obligation to spend her efforts on helping them.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Splicer posted:

The many worlds interpretation doesn't create magical new dimensions with district objects, though, it just posits that objects's probability wave don't collapse.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Kat has never met Coyote, right? I guess she might have seen, him when he pushed over that building, to get Annie back into the forest.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Kat: I reject your reality and replace it with my own!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Rejecting empirical evidence in favor of established theory rather than revising theory to accommodate new evidence is a bad look for a scientist, mad or otherwise.

It makes you look like an economist.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Yeah. Kat is trying to deny what's in front of her instead of understanding it. More of a faith based outlook than science.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Iceclaw posted:

Yeah. Kat is trying to deny what's in front of her instead of understanding it. More of a faith based outlook than science.

Sounds very Goddess-like.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

A big flaming stink posted:

but traversal between those worlds is!

MikeJF posted:

The many worlds interpretation doesn't create magical new dimensions with district objects, though, it just posits that objects's probability wave don't collapse.
I misread Kat's phrasing, I remembered it as "what are these "parallel universes" that you speak of", but the actual text is more "you can't throw someone into an orbit"

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
I'm siding with Kat on this. Someone's cheating or pulling a fast one.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
She's right imo, interfering with multiple dimensions is far beyond any other magic we've seen in the comic before. Let alone there even being multiple dimensions in the first place conceptually which is a doozy in itself. Maybe Loup's capable of cross-dimensional dickery and maybe he's not, but the implications are huge and none of the characters have really talked about it yet. Go Kat go!

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
I take it this is a bad time to bring up Zimmy's "super-science and etheric magic and everything else are all equally valid" speech?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Splicer posted:

I misread Kat's phrasing, I remembered it as "what are these "parallel universes" that you speak of", but the actual text is more "you can't throw someone into an orbit"

There's a big loving asterisk with a footnote that says "to the best of my knowledge" attached to that statement.

Admittedly, the problem seems to be she can't figure it out and a charitable reading is that she's frustrated and venting so she's not being careful about saying to proper "should be" and "seems" qualifiers.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well to be fair, I feel like she's more trying to say the explanation can't be that simple than saying it literally can't be explained. She's just upset right now is all. Other magical or physics-busting stuff that's happened has generally been given context. It usually doesn't "make sense", but it makes sense within the comic's world and we get a sense of 'why' something's possible without needing to be given the 'how' to go along with it. Back when the gang was dealing with the ROTD and seeing off Mort, Kat was able to navigate the magical world easier than Annie by interpreting it in a very literal way. She didn't buy into what was happening to Annie and Mort until she saw it for herself, which put what she was experiencing into context. With this though, there is no context, and I think that's what Kat's looking for more than anything.

edit: But she probably also does want to know the physics and metaphysics behind parallel universes existing because I mean come on you can get all the stars in Mario 64 without pressing the jump button that's rad as hell

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 17:05 on May 15, 2020

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

FronzelNeekburm posted:

I take it this is a bad time to bring up Zimmy's "super-science and etheric magic and everything else are all equally valid" speech?
I believe her speech can be summarised thus: "It's all bollocks and Kat's starting to realise".

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Kat. Not buying it.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

CJacobs posted:

I mean come on you can get all the stars in Mario 64 without pressing the jump button that's rad as hell

what

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpk2tdsPh0A&t=623s
(10:23)

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Well, not zero jump-button presses; I think they've gotten it down to like 18 or something. This video went viral a couple years ago and will explain the reference to parallel universes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpk2tdsPh0A

and its creator is still working hard on reducing the number of A presses; check out his channel for more extremely nerdy-rear end info.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
it'll turn out it's actually just one annie unconsciously running back and forth really fast

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
quoting myself from 3 months ago

dragon enthusiast posted:

If I'm understanding Zimmy's viewpoint.

From the viewpoint of science, anything that can't be explained, aka "magic", is just the unknown just waiting to be explained. The pursuit of this, "man's endeavour to be God", forms the basis of the Court.

According to Zimmy though, what makes magic, "magic", is that an explanation might not ever exist for these phenomena.

From that perspective, what's eating Kat up inside is a fundamental incompatibility with her worldview that she might not ever be able to "set things straight" with the two Annies situation. Moreover, even if she were able to figure it out, she might not like the actual answer (since both Annies don't belong to this timeline, she might end up losing her best friend).

imo the viewpoint that the double annies are a "problem that needs to be solved" is pretty unhealthy but i also havent invented antigravity so what do i know

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I mean, the alternate explanation is that either A) there's a parallel universe out their missing their Annie, or B) Loup can create perfect human consciousness ex nihilo at whim, so freaking out is probably a good move.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

There is an uncountably infinite number of universes where every universe has stolen two of the other universes' Annies and has lost its own Annie.

That's not the hard part. Kat can do that part. That's just mathematics.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CJacobs posted:

Well to be fair, I feel like she's more trying to say the explanation can't be that simple than saying it literally can't be explained. She's just upset right now is all. Other magical or physics-busting stuff that's happened has generally been given context. It usually doesn't "make sense", but it makes sense within the comic's world and we get a sense of 'why' something's possible without needing to be given the 'how' to go along with it. Back when the gang was dealing with the ROTD and seeing off Mort, Kat was able to navigate the magical world easier than Annie by interpreting it in a very literal way. She didn't buy into what was happening to Annie and Mort until she saw it for herself, which put what she was experiencing into context. With this though, there is no context, and I think that's what Kat's looking for more than anything.

edit: But she probably also does want to know the physics and metaphysics behind parallel universes existing because I mean come on you can get all the stars in Mario 64 without pressing the jump button that's rad as hell

Except it was later revealed the ROTD really was just an ether-powered movieset to help some dead folks get their mental poo poo sorted out before they feel comfortable enough returning to the ether entirely. Kat was able to look past the CGI and editing and see the ROTD as it really was.

Also, in this case Kat is telling her best friends, to their faces, they cannot possibly exist. Which is, uh, insensitive, to put it very mildly.

EDIT: Which I suppose isn't quite as bad as the implication in hindsight that Paz wants the Annies to stop existing so her girlfriend stops having anxiety.

Kerning Chameleon fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 16, 2020

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Kat's gonna start rambling about plot holes in Avengers: Endgame.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Kerning Chameleon posted:

EDIT: Which I suppose isn't quite as bad as the implication in hindsight that Paz wants the Annies to stop existing so her girlfriend stops having anxiety.

Yes, but that doesn't matter so much because even Annies that can't possibly exist can still snap Paz like a twig.

Sorry Paz. At least you're not boxbot.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

maswastaken posted:

There is an uncountably infinite number of universes where every universe has stolen two of the other universes' Annies and has lost its own Annie.

That's not the hard part. Kat can do that part. That's just mathematics.

I thought the Grand Hotel required countable infinities?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Warmachine posted:

I thought the Grand Hotel required countable infinities?

The Grand Hotel works fine in uncountable infinities.
This thing is not quite the same as the grand hotel, since you actually want to map two different points onto the same one, while still making the mapping reversible.

If you have countable infinitives, Loup from universe n (Loup_n) stole the two Annies from universes 2n and 2n+1. This works if n is a natural number. L_1 steals A_2 and A_3, L_2 steals A_4 and A_5... Basically, the tail of Annieless universes grows twice as fast as the ones with a fresh set of two.
For real numbers in uncountable universes, this exact argument breaks apart.
If you set n=1 , L_1 would like to steal A_2 and A_3. But L_(0.5) already took A_2.

I am not sure if you can construct a way to avoid that. It doesn't feel possible.

That's what's irritating Kat. She can't fathom the idea that the number of universes is just countable. This would imply that every quantum collapse has to have a countable set of outcomes. I.e. throwing a coin is alright and splits the universe into two parallel universes. But if you construct a random number generator which can give out every possible real number between 0 and 1, the multiverse just breaks apart. And Kat really needed to built that for her new AI-algorithms.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 09:43 on May 16, 2020

HPK
Mar 25, 2003
guy

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I mean, the alternate explanation is that either A) there's a parallel universe out their missing their Annie, or B) Loup can create perfect human consciousness ex nihilo at whim, so freaking out is probably a good move.

Loup/Coyote wouldn't need to start from scratch to become some Annies. He could have stolen some of her memories anytime she visited the forest, just like he was doing to Ysengrin.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieiFklY7eS0

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Thank you Tom and Magnolia for confirming that Annie could in fact kill all her friends very easily :hai:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Thank you Tom and Magnolia for confirming that Annie could in fact kill all her friends very easily :hai:

GC Tier list (work in progress):
Annie (w/ Lasers)

Annie (no lasers)
Paz

Kat

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Thinking about other characters and what they're capable of, I'm wondering what Jack and Jenny have been doing since all the poo poo with Loup went down. Don't think we've seen Jack at all since The Torn Sea?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Jack bought a terrarium for reasons he refuses to discuss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

cant cook creole bream posted:

The Grand Hotel works fine in uncountable infinities.
This thing is not quite the same as the grand hotel, since you actually want to map two different points onto the same one, while still making the mapping reversible.

If you have countable infinitives, Loup from universe n (Loup_n) stole the two Annies from universes 2n and 2n+1. This works if n is a natural number. L_1 steals A_2 and A_3, L_2 steals A_4 and A_5... Basically, the tail of Annieless universes grows twice as fast as the ones with a fresh set of two.
For real numbers in uncountable universes, this exact argument breaks apart.
If you set n=1 , L_1 would like to steal A_2 and A_3. But L_(0.5) already took A_2.

I am not sure if you can construct a way to avoid that. It doesn't feel possible.

That's what's irritating Kat. She can't fathom the idea that the number of universes is just countable. This would imply that every quantum collapse has to have a countable set of outcomes. I.e. throwing a coin is alright and splits the universe into two parallel universes. But if you construct a random number generator which can give out every possible real number between 0 and 1, the multiverse just breaks apart. And Kat really needed to built that for her new AI-algorithms.

seems like the prime powers method works well here:

quote:

Prime powers method
Empty the odd numbered rooms by sending the guest in room i to room 2i, then put the first coach's load in rooms 3n, the second coach's load in rooms 5n; for coach number c we use the rooms pn where p is the cth odd prime number. This solution leaves certain rooms empty (which may or may not be useful to the hotel); specifically, all odd numbers that are not prime powers, such as 15 or 847, will no longer be occupied. (So, strictly speaking, this shows that the number of arrivals is less than or equal to the number of vacancies created. It is easier to show, by an independent means, that the number of arrivals is also greater than or equal to the number of vacancies, and thus that they are equal, than to modify the algorithm to an exact fit.) (The algorithm works equally well if one interchanges n and c, but whichever choice is made, it must be applied uniformly throughout.)