Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Mazerunner posted:

Renard is in a toy bear

i initially read this as toy boy and it killed me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

ElMaligno posted:

i initially read this as toy boy and it killed me

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
https://twitter.com/gunnerkrigg/status/1264220913140187138

I hate these lovely tie-in video games. How does GC make sense as a platformer? I can't believe my mom paid $60 for this and now I'm not getting another game for a year.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

CJacobs posted:

Oh yeah that reminds me, when you die in the french version of Dark Souls it says VOUS ETES MORT, and I know that just means 'you died' but every time I giggle because it looks like it says 'you are Mort' thanks to gunnerkrigg.

I suspect Tom of having called Mort "Mort" (instead of "Mortimer" or "Morty") as an interlingual pun.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

life_source posted:

I hate these lovely tie-in video games. How does GC make sense as a platformer? I can't believe my mom paid $60 for this and now I'm not getting another game for a year.
the e key is never used but it makes Annie sorta look at stuff regardless of whether there's stuff to look at, 10/10 would play again

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 14:26 on May 24, 2020

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Cute little game. I like the gem mechanic getting you to explore the whole level before making you find Mort. Keeps the pacing even.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Demiurge4 posted:

Lol that's the arrow room. She said she wasn't gonna use that thing again didn't she?

"But Kat, the arbiter said he'd put you in ether jail if you use that again!"

"Oh, don't worry!" <voice turns evil> "I've taken steps to make sure that won't happen"

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

life_source posted:

No adequate wasd controls. ln(100)/10

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

MikeJF posted:

"But Kat, the arbiter said he'd put you in ether jail if you use that again!"

"Oh, don't worry!" <voice turns evil> "I've taken steps to make sure that won't happen"

*One Winged Angel starts playing*

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
Oh hey, these guys.

madjack
Dec 31, 2013
:staredog:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's not clear to me why Kat would feel guilty about this.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Kat when I said "if you need a hobby, try Tik Tok" this was not what I meant.

(Paz, probably)

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I, uh.. don't get it. I think I forgot this plot point? What's the bird?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
if this ends up as a time travel plotline i will immediately poo poo bricks

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007

coolusername posted:

I, uh.. don't get it. I think I forgot this plot point? What's the bird?

We don't know and if this page is anything to go by neither does the court. But maybe Kat does now.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

A big flaming stink posted:

if this ends up as a time travel plotline i will immediately poo poo bricks

Of course it won't be time travel, you can't violate causality like that.

We'll just end up sending it to a parallel dimension years behind us, just like how ours ended up here. :pseudo:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

noooooo you can't just hijack a fleet of complex Big Brother birds surveillance is a huge can of worms and watching your friends like a literal hawk has serious ethical issues trust notwithstanding

haha camera go tic-toc

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Given her previous bird experiences and looking embarrassed in the last panel there, my mind went right to Rocky Horror references.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Holy poo poo, I was always wondering when the Tic Tocs would come back.

Anyone who doesn't remember, these mechanical birds were around a a lot in the really early comic, watching stuff happen during dramatic moments and being generally mysterious. The only time they did anything, a swarm of them saved Annie from falling off the bridge. One of them 'died' in the process and seemed to grow machinery into the cliff face. Anja claimed the court doesn't know where they came from. This tidbit was the last we heard of them, and was also the only real hint we ever got. Other than that, they've been all but memory-holed for the vast majority of the comic.

Since nothing about them was revealed in the Deigo flashback, and Kat has an occasional thematic association with birds, some people had already theorized that they're related to her impending machine-god stuff.

EDIT: Oh yeah! And Tic-tocs make Zimmy really uncomfortable, another thing they have in common with Kat.

This has been "Ditocoaf clicks the links in the wiki and reports back".

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 10:06 on May 25, 2020

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Leaving a plot thread dangling for 11 years huh, maybe the time travel device was us all along

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
Holy poo poo, the Tic Tocs have been a gun that's been sitting on the mantle for so long it's been nearly forgotten.

Now that Tom is fixing to fire it, it's probably going to blow up half the stage and the first three rows of seats.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

holy poo poo i haven't though about the tic tocs in the better part of a decade :supaburn:

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

You know there's something weird going on when there's a whole ribbon cable going to 2 batteries.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Some version of Kat created these birds and sent them throughout all the timelines and realities looking for her Annie.

Mystery solved.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Would it be possible for her to have been creating them in secret all along, rather than time travel shenanigans?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Some version of Kat created these birds and sent them throughout all the timelines and realities looking for her Annie.

Mystery solved.

Speculation: Kat only ever creates one. Every Kat only ever makes one.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Ditocoaf posted:

This tidbit was the last we heard of them, and was also the only real hint we ever got.

Between the dialogue, the focus on Kat and the robot looking back at her, panel 7 here is some very nice foreshadowing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Tenebrais posted:

Speculation: Kat only ever creates one. Every Kat only ever makes one.

There are many dimensions in the multiverse, but there's only one Kat.

"I'm a Kat! I sell meats!"

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

Oh my we do have a Coyote situation.

Remember how Jones said that it is true that Coyote has placed the stars in the sky? That page and the ones that follow make a point that human belief can reshape reality in a way that can crate seeming paradoxes. Humans believing that Coyote put the stars up above made it reality, even though they were there in the first place.

So now, I presume it's gonna extend to robots. Kat is the Machine God, Kat has created the Tic-Tocs, so there have always been Tic-Tocs because logically, there must have always been a Machine God. Especially plausible since the Robots are now leaving their metal bodies and becoming "flesh" and more alive, allowing them to go beyond their programming and affect the Ether.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

And it all makes sense - Kat was always making the Tic-Tocs anyway. Her first idea was inspired by birds. The first thing she grew was basically a wing. Doesn't allign with her Bug-like Etheric image though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Has Kat ever been present for any tic-toc stuff in past in the comic? Has she ever seen one before?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

At first I thought she'd finally captured one but on the previous page she said she's building something so perhaps things are about to get real weird.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The distinction may be meaningless, but I wonder if the reality/annie that we started the comic with is the reality we're currently viewing, the one court-annie was from, or the one forest-annie was from.

It seems like forest-annie being our original is most likely, and court-annie and general reality are slightly parallel? There was a narrative continuity on forest-annie during the conversation with loup.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

MikeJF posted:

The distinction may be meaningless, but I wonder if the reality/annie that we started the comic with is the reality we're currently viewing, the one court-annie was from, or the one forest-annie was from.

It seems like forest-annie being our original is most likely, and court-annie and general reality are slightly parallel? There was a narrative continuity on forest-annie during the conversation with loup.

Ooh what if only Forest Annie recognizes the Tic Toc

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Kikas posted:

And it all makes sense - Kat was always making the Tic-Tocs anyway. Her first idea was inspired by birds. The first thing she grew was basically a wing. Doesn't allign with her Bug-like Etheric image though.

bugs is just birds with armor

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Kikas posted:

Oh my we do have a Coyote situation.

Remember how Jones said that it is true that Coyote has placed the stars in the sky? That page and the ones that follow make a point that human belief can reshape reality in a way that can crate seeming paradoxes. Humans believing that Coyote put the stars up above made it reality, even though they were there in the first place.

So now, I presume it's gonna extend to robots. Kat is the Machine God, Kat has created the Tic-Tocs, so there have always been Tic-Tocs because logically, there must have always been a Machine God. Especially plausible since the Robots are now leaving their metal bodies and becoming "flesh" and more alive, allowing them to go beyond their programming and affect the Ether.

Yeah I've been pushing this angle for a while, that the robots' belief in Kat is retroactively making her more than human and creating a Coyote situation. That Kat made the Tic-Tocs was always a big part of that and a pretty big assumption, even though it fit, so seeing this page is really exciting.

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 14:50 on May 25, 2020

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Just an idea, but if the Annies aren't supposed to exist in this universe, this could very well be a universe where the tic-toc's never existed before now and Kat just made the first weird spy-bird-bot in this universe, which sounds ominous if true.

Maybe in the original universe that's how Kat knew where to find Annie and bring her back to the court after the mecho-birds saved her from falling.

Queue Kat going "so I had this idea for a spy bot and I feel bad but I have reasons" and the Annies being confused and worried because things aren't adding up.

Or maybe she is just reverse engineering like it seems, but whatever the case Kat seems to act a bit guilty about it.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
An Annie existed in this universe, just not the two that are presently in it. Really interested in seeing what Kat has to say about the Tic Toc. If she's never seen one before, it sort of suggests that future Kat is keeping them secret from herself to prevent time shenanigans. And I imagine the reason she looks embarrassed is because she made, or is at least planning on making use of, a creepy surveillance bird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Theory: she made a tobot bird that can talk to itself in other timelines, while assuming other Kat's were doing the same.

She was right.