Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Kat should just tell her about her birdfriend, it would draw her closer to Paz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
Also it would have avoided some more confusion on Paz's part. Hah.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
Uh oh...

Gunnerkrigg will now be renamed Chasing Annie.

/noitwont

Milli
Sep 28, 2009

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Oh Paz, you really are hopeless when it comes to romance and picking up on signals (even if there aren't any)

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Milli posted:

Oh Paz, you really are hopeless when it comes to romance and picking up on signals (even if there aren't any)
Sees what isn't, doesn't see what is.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Elysiume posted:

Sees what isn't, doesn't see what is.

Those mice are all dead, aren't they?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Kat's into birds, not birds.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Hawkward!

Get it? Because she's in to birds! And a hawk is a bird.
do you get it everyone

nothings
Sep 29, 2008
Oh Paz, don't be silly; Kat's already taken

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
The facial expressions in this really are the best thing ever.

Bats Everywhere
Dec 25, 2010

My Little Pony
I used to wonder
What this shit could be
My Little Pony
Until you all shared
Its magic with me
Jeez Paz, not everyone is as into you as you think they are.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Bats Everywhere posted:

Jeez Paz, not everyone is as into you as you think they are.

She doesn't even have any feathers!

Also, Kat's stunned expressions are the best expressions :3:.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

nothings posted:

Oh Paz, don't be silly; Kat's already taken

Oh hey the page right after that has Paz chatting to Matt. There are so many little background details you can easily miss!

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Swearing and discussions about sexual orientation. The kids are growing up so fast. :allears:

quote:

Zimmy?

Zimmy is a kid only in the technical sense of the term.

1stGear fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 24, 2011

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
betting story 3 is about a summer crush Kat had

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

1stGear posted:

Swearing and discussions about sexual orientation. The kids are growing up so fast. :allears:

Zimmy?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dont be silly, Kat spent all summer looking for her homework.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Paz is so self-absorbed. :allears:

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Wonder how many "Way to be heteronormative :mad:" notes Tom has gotten so far.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Mirage posted:

Wonder how many "Way to be heteronormative :mad:" notes Tom has gotten so far.

I hope he hasn't gotten a bunch of them. Just because he has the option to have LGBT relationships in his comic doesn't mean he's obligated to have them.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Kuros posted:

I hope he hasn't gotten a bunch of them. Just because he has the option to have LGBT relationships in his comic doesn't mean he's obligated to have them.

Plus, one can be shocked by someone thinking you're homosexual without thinking there's anything wrong with being homosexual. I mean, if someone told me they thought I was gay, I'd be confused. (Frankly, I'd be surprised if they thought I had any active sex life, but hey.)

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Kuros posted:

Zimmy and Gamma

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

Kuros posted:

I think the heteronormative part comes from playing Kat's reaction for laughs, not not making her gay.

You never though let's see how this poo poo plays out :munch:

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Bonster posted:

Zimmy and Gamma

Which is perfectly fine. :)

quote:

Plus, one can be shocked by someone thinking you're homosexual without thinking there's anything wrong with being homosexual.

Which is how my mother reacted to me telling her that I'm :gay:

Haledjian posted:

I think the heteronormative part comes from playing Kat's reaction for laughs, not not making her gay.

You never though let's see how this poo poo plays out :munch:

That's how I thought of it. Plus Paz seems to be very full of herself as I expressed before.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Kuros posted:

That's how I thought of it. Plus Paz seems to be very full of herself as I expressed before.

It's a self-absorption that probably comes from a lot of insecurity.

But on another not-analyzing-fictional-characters note, Kat has the best shock faces.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

On an overly analytical fictional character note, I wonder if this conversation is going to make Kat reconsider her dress sense?

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Really slick Donlan.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
I have issues with this chapter. All of the kids duck the school security system so they can sit around discussing their changing bodies and have relationship drama? That is bull pucky. Tea-san is usually better at integrating stuff like that into the narrative. Are Matt and Paz ever going to be that important? Winbury got a girlfriend in the background without wrenching out a 6 comic storyline.

Micgael
Aug 8, 2007

"Gimme a kiss."
The kids all just came back from break and are catching up. I guess I don't see why its weird. You never snuck out of the house to hang out with your friends and do nothing?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Micgael posted:

The kids all just came back from break and are catching up. I guess I don't see why its weird. You never snuck out of the house to hang out with your friends and do nothing?

I think the majority of my teenage life involved sitting around talking about nothing.

Actually get rid of the word teenage.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Micgael posted:

Does it really have to be so clandestine? School isn't 15 hours a day. They're involving decoy tracker bugs and herds of robots to hang out in a lounge. They're not even getting drunk or taking ecstasy like respectable British school children.

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.

Dmitri-9 posted:

Does it really have to be so clandestine?

Were you never a teenager? It doesn't matter if all you were doing was blowing your nose, anything was automatically 10x cooler if the grown-ups didn't know you were doing it. Hanging out past curfew to just chill and talk is quintessentially teenaged.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Yeah, sneaking out was 99% of the point. And then everyone would turn up and hang out semi-awkwardly as it dawned on us that we didn't really know what the other 1% was. Sometimes it was booze or drugs, sometimes really bad under-18s nightclubs. Usually it was just sitting somewhere and talking inconsequentially. The only difference is that I guess we used to hang out in parks and at bus stops, rather than hotel lounges or wherever these strangely classy teens are.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

McGravin posted:

Were you never a teenager? It doesn't matter if all you were doing was blowing your nose, anything was automatically 10x cooler if the grown-ups didn't know you were doing it. Hanging out past curfew to just chill and talk is quintessentially teenaged.

I guess I didn't do a lot of rebelling when I was young. I just told my parents where I was going, called them if I was staying out super late and left out all the illicit poo poo I did.

There have been story arcs like this before where the children sneak out but it was never for contrived relationship drama.

CyRaptor
Aug 27, 2004

Fuck Sandy Petersen, again.

Dmitri-9 posted:

There have been story arcs like this before where the children sneak out but it was never for contrived relationship drama.

That's pretty much exactly what happened in "A Handful of Dirt", though, isn't it? Not relationship drama per se, but drama nonetheless.

Either way, not every chapter needs to progress the overarching plot; there is time for characterization, which this chapter seems to be. Kat and Annie's classmates may not be primary characters but they do factor into the plot from time to time, so there's no reason they shouldn't get their time in the spotlight for once, especially following a series of pretty serious and plot-heavy chapters.

Not to mention that this chapter's ultimate purpose seems to be establishing some sort of relationship between Annie and Jack, which I'm sure will become significant in the future, and more importantly the chapter isn't even over with yet.

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

Dmitri-9 posted:

I guess I didn't do a lot of rebelling when I was young. I just told my parents where I was going, called them if I was staying out super late and left out all the illicit poo poo I did.

You missed out. Sneaking out is super fun. My parents were lenient as can be, and I still snuck out from time to time. You get to feel like a spy or cat burglar, stay out and do whatever you want, and you get the satisfaction of knowing you still have a bunch of independence. Of course, most parents probably know their kids are doing it, but at least mine were nice enough to let me think I was sneaky.

And yeah, the majority of the time I snuck out or broke curfew was just to hang out, never anything illicit. I don't understand the problem you have with this chapter. Teens sit around and talk all the time.

^^^^^

CyRaptor posted:

Either way, not every chapter needs to progress the overarching plot; there is time for characterization, which this chapter seems to be. Kat and Annie's classmates may not be primary characters but they do factor into the plot from time to time, so there's no reason they shouldn't get their time in the spotlight for once, especially following a series of pretty serious and plot-heavy chapters.

It's also pretty important in showing how the main characters interact with others. Annie and Kat don't exist in a void. They're schoolkids, and they do schoolkid things like hang out with their friends.

Sneaksie Taffer fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Aug 26, 2011

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

CyRaptor posted:

Not to mention that this chapter's ultimate purpose seems to be establishing some sort of relationship between Annie and Jack, which I'm sure will become significant in the future, and more importantly the chapter isn't even over with yet.

Thats part of the problem. Jack has been nothing but critical of Annie and Annie is emotionally distant and suspicious of him. Now Jack is like Walter Raleigh's more chivalrous cousin and Annie is flirting with him because he is the last unpaired male of the species in the room. That is like bad fanfic writing e.g. Matt crashing into Chang'e making her drop all of her cliches on the floor.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010

Dmitri-9 posted:

Thats part of the problem. Jack has been nothing but critical of Annie and Annie is emotionally distant and suspicious of him. Now Jack is like Walter Raleigh's more chivalrous cousin and Annie is flirting with him because he is the last unpaired male of the species in the room. That is like bad fanfic writing e.g. Matt crashing into Chang'e making her drop all of her cliches on the floor.

Um it's pretty obvious Jack's had an awkward crush on Annie since the end of the Spiderman arc. Remember the goodbye hug/handshake at the beginning of summer?

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

And it's reciprocal, there have been hints for a while. This is just the first recent chapter to focus on developing relationships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
I just want to say I love Zimmy's face in that last panel.