Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

pumpinglemma posted:

Wow. As a gay man, I think I can safely say you're kind of crazy.

Kind of crazy? That's full on crazy right there.

It's a whole rant of :qqsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

ChibiSoma posted:

Wow yes because a character being straight means the author is 'anti gay'.

Before you flip out next time try to remember that the reason you're so emotionally invested in this is because it's a good comic and directly insulting the artist just makes no sense for you to be doing. Stop and think, does the guy that gave you all that free entertainment and wrote such a spellbinding story deserve to be called a 'cowardly loving bitch'?

Nice gendered insult, by the way, since we're going the social justice angle.

Tabachinova
May 6, 2007

You say...

You say you'd still rather wear the outfit.
I hope I'm able to explain myself here:

Saying that Tom is making the "weird" characters gay, when in the comic everyone and everything is supposed to be "weird".Maybe I'm talking with my foot in my mouth here, but in Gunnekrigg everyone has an uncommon ability. When people asked Annie through Kat for fire, they thought she was weird. The comic is much about of weird kids getting to know each other enough to see that they are not weird, just different.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Nicolae Carpathia posted:

It's not a very good perception, it's just the idea that two characters can't be close emotionally unless they're attracted to each other. (Which is probably why Chibisoma also thought Zimmy and Gamma were the weird kids designated to be gay, even though Zimmy and Gamma aren't lesbians either.)

You see this all over the place. It seems that a lot of people are incapable of accepting that sort of close relationship as being platonic.

Beyond that, shippers simply be crazy.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Chibisoma posted:

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

Nipponophile posted:

Pretty much the best response.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
"Huh, the Gunnerkrigg thread just gained 22 posts in a single hour. I'll just click on it and see what - " :stare:

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Stop talking about the anime troll, talk more about how Annie is going to avoid getting smooched.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
I've been going through the archives and it's really amazing how much the art has improved. Great work, Tea-san.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Alien space crabs watching you through mystical means probably put a damper on romance of any kind.

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You

ChibiSoma posted:

*Crazytime*

You are the worst kind of GKC fan. Of all time. You scare me.

On the current arc: I don't think it's really dragging on as much as we might think. If we were to read it start to finish right now, I think it would flow just fine. But we've got to be patient. Character development takes time, and Tom is better at it then most, so let's just enjoy the ride shall we?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I will only accept this chapter as good if it ends with Jack flying away on a robot cow. :colbert:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Benagain posted:

Alien space crabs watching you through mystical means probably put a damper on romance of any kind.

Bud is a total bro, I think he'd let some light smooching go.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The only thing surprising me in today's strip is Annie's reluctance in staying near Bud, who's only watching the kids. But then again, if there's someone who desperately holds onto being independent and fight the powah I guess it's her.

LtStorm posted:

Does it still make me a goon if I get angry over someone else getting angry over webcomics?

Your stupid anti-gay bullshit is ruining my morning. Need to go watch @GeorgeTakei say/do things to calm down. Off to Youtube I go

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

Ka0 posted:

Stop talking about the anime troll, talk more about how Annie is going to avoid getting smooched.

Fire. Lots of fire.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Uh... woooow.

Anyway, I think what this chapter is showing off is that Annie has become a lot more used to social situations. I guess spending a summer running around in the dirt with a bunch of elves will do that for you. She had some really weird ideas about how people lived; very sterile and mechanical. And it's not surprising, really, considering her upbringing - she was born in a hospital and lived there until she was sent to the Court, which is pretty much the definition of a mechanized, sterile environment. Remember this page?

That's how Annie thought before. I'm interested in how this time away has changed that.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Benagain posted:

People seem to get along fine when they believe in a God that watches everything you do, but I suppose it's a little harder to put out of your mind when said alien space crab is in a bucket downstairs and can be all :backtowork: at you

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne

Nicolae Carpathia posted:

It's not a very good perception, it's just the idea that two characters can't be close emotionally unless they're attracted to each other. (Which is probably why Chibisoma also thought Zimmy and Gamma were the weird kids designated to be gay, even though Zimmy and Gamma aren't lesbians either.)

Just for the record, I'm pretty sure Zimmy and Gamma are lesbians. I aren't sure where I found that out from, but I'm sure I can find out.

That doesn't mean Tom's reserving it for just weirdos though, I mean lots of LGBT adults were in straight relationships as kids anyway. And I haven't seen any evidence so far of Kat and Annie being in love.

edit: Here's a formspring question about Zimmy and Gamma, Tom describes their love as 'more than just best friends'. I suppose I interpreted that as girlfriends, but it could be something magical instead. http://www.formspring.me/gunnerkrigg/q/663791474

edit2: Nevermind, in this formspring question Tom explicitly says they're a couple. http://www.formspring.me/gunnerkrigg/q/725851583

Noonsaliwah fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 29, 2011

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Huntersoninski posted:

Not trying to be an rear end in a top hat, but: did you make a pun, or did you mean "nip it in the bud"?

Because I think butt nipping would be pretty inappropriate at a time like this! Paz is confused enough I think!

A bit late to this since I was on vacation but I wasn't implying the "nip in the bud". The phrase I used is something I've heard in the US and I had no idea it could be taken like that in the UK. :psyduck: It was more a comment of it being better that they stopped any drama from developing before it got out of hand. I'm going to need to bookmark that link so I don't start a culture war. :stare:

ChibiSoma posted:

That's a lot of hating there. Maybe you should go read Misfile instead.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Haha

Tuxedo Ted fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jun 14, 2017

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Revolver Bunker posted:

A bit late to this since I was on vacation but I wasn't implying the "nip in the bud". The phrase I used is something I've heard in the US and I had no idea it could be taken like that in the UK. :psyduck: It was more a comment of it being better that they stopped any drama from developing before it got out of hand. I'm going to need to bookmark that link so I don't start a culture war. :stare:

Haha, I'm also from the US. The phrase actually is "nip it in the bud," which is a metaphor for stopping it before it gets out of hand. If you cut a plant (or a problem) while it is a bud, it will never bloom (or explode into a bigger problem). "Nip it in the butt" is a mistake - a common phrase misheard and repeated, like "all intensive purposes" or "sum bitch"

edit: beep boop I sound like an rear end in a top hat robot. Not trying to be nit picky!

Rat Patrol fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 29, 2011

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Tea-san posted:

Hey man, you missed a few words out of your post. Here, I'll post the comments you Tweeted at me:

And here's part of the stuff you said on my forum:

Thanks for your interest!

This is hilarious. :allears:
You're a saint Tom.

Revolver Bunker posted:

A bit late to this since I was on vacation but I wasn't implying the "nip in the bud". The phrase I used is something I've heard in the US and I had no idea it could be taken like that in the UK.

You seem to be misunderstanding, you did mean "nip it in the bud." Using butt is incorrect, as it's ignoring the original context of the saying, I'm sure tons of people do say "nip it in the butt", but it's incorrect. :spergin:

Ka0 posted:

No way, it's going to be like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lOBc3QZD9w
Complete with the singing crab. :v:

wyoming fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Aug 29, 2011

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

wyoming posted:

No way, it's going to be like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lOBc3QZD9w
Complete with the singing crab. :v:

Well, thanks a lot, rear end in a top hat. Now I'm going to be disappointed by whatever comes next since it won't be as awesome as singing Bud.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

wyoming posted:

This is hilarious. :allears:
You're a saint Tom.

Tom must be part fire-elemental, cause that was a sick burn.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Tea-san posted:

Thanks for your interest!

:sbahj:

Also come on guys, surely you have something less weird you can talk about.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Huntersoninski posted:

Haha, I'm also from the US. The phrase actually is "nip it in the bud," which is a metaphor for stopping it before it gets out of hand. If you cut a plant (or a problem) while it is a bud, it will never bloom (or explode into a bigger problem). "Nip it in the butt" is a mistake - a common phrase misheard and repeated, like "all intensive purposes" or "sum bitch"

edit: beep boop I sound like an rear end in a top hat robot. Not trying to be nit picky!

wyoming posted:

You seem to be misunderstanding, you did mean "nip it in the bud." Using butt is incorrect, as it's ignoring the original context of the saying, I'm sure tons of people do say "nip it in the butt", but it's incorrect. :spergin:

Welp, now I feel dumb. Nothing to see here, go about your business folks. :sweatdrop:

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Sheesh, talk about impatience. Let the plot develop!

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Ka0 posted:

"Antimony, we are suddenly going out. Let us smooch shamelessly to spite that peeping Tom of a crab."

"Indeed, but first, let me tell you the third story. Once upon a time, there was a young girl who was sent to a mysterious boarding school..."

Leeeet's doooo the time waaaarp agaaaaaain!

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!
Holy cow, those Chibisoma tweets :psyduck:

Saoshyant posted:

The only thing surprising me in today's strip is Annie's reluctance in staying near Bud, who's only watching the kids. But then again, if there's someone who desperately holds onto being independent and fight the powah I guess it's her.

Eh, I think she's more testing out how far he can see/showing it to Jack? I think it's more testing the boundaries as a conversation piece than rebelling, maybe mixed with a bit of showing off.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

idonotlikepeas posted:

I'd forgotten about Kat's reaction in the last panel. That is one of the best reaction sequences ever.

Elftor
Jan 10, 2003
Hey Chibisoma, Tom already sank your battleship a long time ago in that cowardly chapter about Kat and the bird boy. (How come only the weird kids have a thing for birds?)

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I too remember when Tea-san said that GC was a progressive comic about breaking down the barriers of gender norms and heteronormativity. Look how far you have fallen from your principles. I truly weep for you.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Annie is going to kiss Jack and he is going to be Coyote.

But Coyote is actually a robot created by future time-traveling Kat to seduce Annie, and Zimmy is another Kat-robot, who is the real Kat from the present, and Boxbot is also Kat and this is all revealed right here so everyone is going to leave this scene incredibly confused.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Desumaytah posted:

Annie is going to kiss Jack and he is going to be Coyote.

But Coyote is actually a robot created by future time-traveling Kat to seduce Annie, and Zimmy is another Kat-robot, who is the real Kat from the present, and Boxbot is also Kat and this is all revealed right here so everyone is going to leave this scene incredibly confused.

And Jones. Jones is definitely a Katbot.

Top work whoever bought Chibisoma that avatar by the way :D

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I have thoughts on 'shipping' that you can all feel free to ignore or mock at your leisure.
From the beginning their relationship has been one of mutual friendship and respect while retaining that key element necessary to good storytelling: their points of view are in many cases radically different. Parts of the story that played on their differing reactions were some of the most enjoyable to me, especially the recently posted page. Any sort of more-than-friends relationship, in my mind, would only have increased the frequency of these moments. I would not have been happy with anything explicit, considering the tone and themes of the comic so far which have avoided explicitness while still tackling such difficult concepts as love, desire, and jealousy. I like that the comic is at most a smart PG-13, not R. It keeps the focus of the reader on the themes and events rather than the sexualities of the characters. Kat's bird story was an excellent demonstration of that, as is the much, much darker and troubling story of Jeanne. Even if the story does eventually delve into R-territory in the future, I believe it will "earn" it just as it "earned" going from upbeat Bird-love to depressing Jeanne-love through a natural evolution into darker territory as the characters aged.
Kat and Annie remaining simply best friends, however, is perfectly reasonable and sensible considering what has been revealed about their characters, and any reader that gets upset about it is being very silly.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Huntersoninski posted:

"sum bitch"
That's also commonly used as an intentional misspelling, though. I don't know that I have ever seen anyone use that thinking it is the proper way of spelling it. Usually it is used to imply an accent like ain't or y'all would be.

This most recent page bugs me a little bit. It probably works much better when you can flip to the next page, but right now there's no way to tell who moved. It's sort of disorienting.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

VanSandman posted:

I have thoughts on 'shipping' that you can all feel free to ignore or mock at your leisure.
From the beginning their relationship has been one of mutual friendship and respect while retaining that key element necessary to good storytelling: their points of view are in many cases radically different. Parts of the story that played on their differing reactions were some of the most enjoyable to me, especially the recently posted page. Any sort of more-than-friends relationship, in my mind, would only have increased the frequency of these moments. I would not have been happy with anything explicit, considering the tone and themes of the comic so far which have avoided explicitness while still tackling such difficult concepts as love, desire, and jealousy. I like that the comic is at most a smart PG-13, not R. It keeps the focus of the reader on the themes and events rather than the sexualities of the characters. Kat's bird story was an excellent demonstration of that, as is the much, much darker and troubling story of Jeanne. Even if the story does eventually delve into R-territory in the future, I believe it will "earn" it just as it "earned" going from upbeat Bird-love to depressing Jeanne-love through a natural evolution into darker territory as the characters aged.
Kat and Annie remaining simply best friends, however, is perfectly reasonable and sensible considering what has been revealed about their characters, and any reader that gets upset about it is being very silly.

I wonder how many angry e-mails J.K. Rowling got from that guy about Harry and Ron.

Content I guess:
Wasn't Jack at least a little interesting before he got Zimmy'd? I remember him being kind of a cool/mysterious dude before then.

Dodgeball fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Aug 30, 2011

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Dodgeball posted:

Wasn't Jack at least a little interesting before he got Zimmy'd? I remember him being kind of a cool/mysterious dude before then.

Yes. He was a technical whiz who also did this:

Tom only had a handful of pages with him before the Bad poo poo went down, but he definitely gave him some character before that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
We know that Jack is mechanically proficient (disabled security similar to how Kat did it), is something of a rascal (doused his buddies in the rain and set up a laser cow field), and is a smooth operator (took Annie out for a boat ride on her first date :swoon:).

It's actually funny how, in the chapter that Jack was introduced, he seemed to be getting along with Kat more than anyone else.