Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I just binged through the whole archive in one day and I'm definitely going to be going back and re-reading it again, but slower. One thing I noticed especially early was that the characters, even where they look similar, were easy enough to distinguish without any obvious cues (like someone saying their name) which is something I always have trouble with. I don't think this is a problem many people have but I just have an extremely difficult time distinguishing people that look even remotely similar.

The only thing I was disappointed with was the lack of a printed version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Ok I am now also disappointed with the lack of an obvious link on the website. And with my bank account, now.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I think the chapter format would be better suited to a TV series, unless you shuffled a few chapters that had related content around so they were next to each other. Chapters 1-14 would make a good first season, maybe split up some of the longer chapters into two-part episodes and have a 16-18 episode season. It almost sets up to be transferred to animation too easily, like he's had it in mind from the beginning but (for whatever reason) hasn't gone through with it. (Actually I'm kind of glad he hasn't yet, because it seems like the kind of thing that would have to be rushed.) I'm thinking let him finish up the comic (one of his Q&As said he had a definite ending in mind) and from there shop it around. 5-10 years from now should be far enough removed from Pottermania that he could take it to any number of studios and have enough leverage to have as much creative control as he wants (because I can also see a studio just buying the rights outright and making a travesty of it all).

Then again it seems like his experience just getting the drat thing printed would be enough to turn anyone off from trying for anything even close to that scale of a project.

On the subject of print, one option I'd like to have though is individual chapters in a comic-booky form. The hardcover just seems like something I'd put on a shelf and forget about, or binge through the whole thing in a day (like I did with the online archive). That might make a decent source of revenue as well if he put them out on a schedule, like one chapter a month with the occasional double-issue. On that schedule he'd eventually catch up with the webcomic so it could be something he puts out in 'seasons', with the releases always at least a couple months behind the webcomic.

I think I'd enjoy it more that way as well; even though I've already read through the whole thing, having something to look forward to in the mail would be nice. Just having that anticipation factor would be enough for a lot of people to buy it. I would.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I would say at the very latest it's early 2006 in the comic because not much more than a calendar year (if that - I really have no idea how much time has gone by in the current school year) has passed in-universe, and if the comic started in the "present" (in 2005) then that would put it about a year after that. Which is almost 5 years ago. I still used myspace 5 years ago.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Well that answers how far along 8th year is.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

For what my opinion's worth not much I didn't really like the chapter too much while it was going on, but going back and reading through it from the beginning it works out fine.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Is the site down for anyone else? I've been trying to get to it for an hour with no luck.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Zenzirouj posted:

So I see that The Court sources their computer equipment from the same place as TV law dramas

ENHANCE

The Court makes that stuff. Where else do you think it all comes from?

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Could just be he used the first letter of each word to spell out a short message (MICROSAT FIVE would only require 12 words, including the greeting) which would fit into the whole "getting a secure channel" theory.

Wouldn't necessarily need to be the first letter of each word, which would make the Annie/Antimony thing relevant.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

chiefnewo posted:

Printout on green line paper for a dot matrix printer? Gotta be a robot. Of course, that's too obvious, so it won't be a robot...

It could just mean it's really old.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

That panel reminds me of the ice cream edit someone did of a page a while back.

e: found it

Also kind of amazing that I was able to figure out almost exactly when the original comic went up, due to the consistent schedule. I remember there being an archive page with a calendar, but can't seem to find it now.

Xerol fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 26, 2013

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Re: Bird Theory - The key word was "saw".

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

BobTheJanitor posted:

That fancy font and lack of attention on my part.

It took me about 6 chapters my first time through to figure out the lowercase Ds were lowercase Ds and not fancy Ses.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Personally this is the one that came up in my mind: http://achewood.com/index.php?date=04022003

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Mazerunner posted:

Winsbury or Janette's and besides the spider-derived abilities Jack hasn't really done anything too crazy besides an aptitude for mechanics. Well Jannette's might be archery but ehhh.

Well the Court has employed archers in the past, so this might come up again?

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Someone linked something near this page a few pages back and combined with what's going on in the past few weeks, I don't think it's too wild a guess to suggest Surma's body (or a replacement) is waiting somewhere else in the court.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

"Not exactly normal"? Is Parley on magical steroids?

Etheric enhancement supplements.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

No plug Robot in there.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

FronzelNeekburm posted:

My CRACK call worked!

This is too good to remain buried on the last page.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

dragon enthusiast posted:

honestly outside of the main A plot this is pretty much the normal amount of fanfare for how plot lines get resolved in GC. the difference in opinion is whether the twin Annies were an A or B plot

One was plot A, the other was plot 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

Honestly, every named character who works for the Court seems to distrust them and be actively keeping some things away from them. We're just not clear why they actually work there, and we still have no idea what the Court actually does or who's in charge, or why they pay Doctor Disaster a salary even though his brand of whimsy seems like it's Not Their Kind Of Thing.

I'm starting to think keeping all its cards held up to the chest for so long has hurt the comic's coherence.

Part of me wants to believe there is no actual "Court" entity and it's just layers and layers of people all doing their own thing and keeping just enough secrets that everyone else believes there's a larger entity out there, when in reality there's been no actual leadership for a long time and it's just endless shells of bureaucracy. The school runs on its own from tuition and every other department funds itself in some way. Don't ask where the food comes from; there's a department that prefers that you don't look at the mystery meat too closely.