Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I think it was Pete Abrams who first had seperate 'talk about what's going on' and 'speculate about what's going on' forums for Sluggy Freelance, for just that reason.

Seemed a bit silly, even at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

This was back in the day, when Sluggy was like one of eight comics on the web, and the idea was the author would only read the dicussion forum, not the speculation forum, so no one could ever claim that Pete Abrams stole an idea, or whatever.

But yeah, Sluggy is not the best comic these days.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Rei_ posted:

Let's be honest, solving the mystery of the eternally trapped woman in the river is a tad more important than a high-school crush.

Eh. It's not like she's going anywhere. :colbert:

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Phy posted:

Where the grass is green and the god is Smitty?

:golfclap:

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

This may be a terrible idea. The other time she went to the forest, she had permission.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Kat's acting so weird because the buttons Annie pushed self-destructed the sub with all the other students.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

You know, all the robots actually being sophisticated golems explains a lot about how Annie was originally able to put Robot together from spare parts. Lot harder to gently caress up when parts don't actually have to, you know, be mechanically suitable.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Ah, crap, I read that bit wrong.

We do know what the "extra part" is, now, though!

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=222

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I'm getting a different read from it.

I didn't take it as Jack trying to mess with Annie, I took it what Jack said at face value: That he was being nice to her because he thought he'd get a kiss, and now that he knows he's not going to, he doesn't give a poo poo what she thinks, so he's just saying whatever he feels like, and Annie getting disproportionally angry about it.

That last 'parents' comment might have been just an unfortunate coincidence that unfortunately is the breaking-point for Annie.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

We knew Bud was being sneaky, but it's awesome that he's still an okay dude.

He's like that cool uncle that lets the kids get away with more when he babysits, but is still around to step in if things go nuts.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

MikeJF posted:

'cos I have about over one hundred webcomics in Google Reader so I don't have to bother remembering to check individual ones.

Updated this for myself.

...I should probably prune it a little.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Hey, Tea-San, I don't know if you do your own HTML coding or get someone else to do it, but can you have a poke at your RSS feed?

Monday, November 07, 2011 12:13 PM
Friday, November 04, 2011 11:09 PM
Wednesday, November 02, 2011 9:12 PM

As you can see, sometimes it isn't updating until almost a full day after you put the comic on the site.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Nov 9, 2011

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Since I predict a lot of people are going to misinterpret that last panel, a pre-emptive Shadow 2 was not cut.

The blade fell downward, the tip hit the ground right next to Shadow 2, then the whole sword tipped over, and the point went under Shadow 2, acting as a lever that pulled him up, over the sword, as it came to rest.

Shadow 2 is not cut in half, he's just shaped like this, as viewed from the side. (the * is where the sword is):

_____/*\_____

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Esme posted:

Nah, the court can already do that. Remember Eglamore's sword?

See, I assumed the light killed that Shadowman, rather than the sword. Without a shadow to hide in, he had no resistance against it.

Fren posted:

Maybe Coyote's plan was to sow dissent. After all, the sword cut Robot like warm butter but can't seem to injure a resident of the Forest.

I'm not even sure Coyote is the "planning" type! He strikes me more as the "come up with a plan, abandon it halfway through when he thinks of a 'better' one" type. My impression is that while some Coyote stories are about him outsmarting other gods and creatures, some are also about normal people outsmarting him!

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Guys, it's possible for two characters to love each other, without it involving physical love.

I'd really rather not think about the mechanics of...all that...anyway.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

...and that's how you make a Black Mage!

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Huh. If she can do something interesting by sticking her hand near your head (no idea what yet) it makes a couple pages a lot more interesting...

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=376
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=584

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Edit: Misinterpreted what you wrote

I..guess, but it seems like she is trying to come to a decision, and it's weird that she'd go out of her way (asking him to remove his hood and stuff) just to casually touch his ear.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Dec 28, 2011

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

^ Yeah, they talked about it while hanging out on the roof right after Annie came back and Kat forgave her for being kind of hard to be friends with, sometimes.

So this chapter is apparently about Red getting a name. It occurs to me that we've got two other characters (Robot, Shadow 2) that really need better names, too. Wonder if that will come up.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Fecha posted:

Wow, what a revelation! Who would have thought that Red is a jerk?

Not sure where you'd getting that.

She acknowledges the Annie, then goes back to work. That makes me think that either A) her class is super strict and she'd get in trouble for doing more than glancing over, or B) forest creatures really love orbital math. (Unlikely)

Given the the Court doesn't seem to really like the forest, I wonder if this is a "stop being all forest-y wacky" Court policy in place.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I did not see that coming! I feel as dumb as Fry...

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Waffnuffly posted:

It's also pretty impressive that the students can mess around in the fancy magic world while still typing on their computers and paying attention to some complex school stuff in the real one. Meanwhile we've only ever seen Annie kinda zone out into zombie mode whenever she goes aetherial. I guess these Foley folks are all REALLY good at multitasking.

Either that, or they are just pretending to pay attention and their teacher is in on it.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

It might be like ethereal training wheels, for all we know.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Ironic Twist posted:

Where the hell did that hovercraft go, by the way?

Pretty sure a later strip mentioned the school confiscated her anti-grav unit.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Waffnuffly posted:

Ha! One-time pad. That's brilliant.

Yeah, one-time pads are awesome. Assuming you use a sufficiently random pad, they're uncrackable, because there's no pattern to find and crack!

It does, however, rely on Annie remembering gibberish. Perhaps it was a very short message.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Jago posted:

You don't have to be a genius to talk plainly in a one time pad. The receiver of the message just has to know it's a pad.

Can you explain how? Annie's dad had already agreed on the key to use, so you can't manipulate that.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Hey, Tea-San, someone has probably already emailed you about this, but just in case...there's another one of those terrible smartphone apps that scrapes comic pages and displays the comics (minus creator ads, plus app-maker's ads), and Gunnerkrigg Court was on the list, as of the 12th.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.klaymore.dailycomix
(There's also a pay-app version of it in the sidebar)

The app developer's email is here: klaymore142@gmail.com and he claims he'll remove comics if the creator asks.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Congrats to Tea-San on going full time! :unsmith:

1stGear posted:

Whoa drat, that is some crazy news. It was only TopatoCo that Tom gets royalties from, right? Gonna have to say to hell with waiting for Volume 2 to go on stock and order 1 and 3 now.

Yeah, I want to know this, too. If it's TopatoCo or Amazon that was the best profit for him, I'll probably grab them with some other stuff I was planning to order soon.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

A week ago?

Oh god, we're in a time vortex. Next it's gonna be two months ago, then a year. By the time the chapter ends we'll have gone back to the beginning of time!

Which, I suppose, is one way to learn something about Coyote.

You joke, but I could see the following days' comics rewinding through Jones's life until we find out more about her. That's a lot more visually interesting than Jones just telling Antimony stuff.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Flavahbeast posted:

lmao

I think maybe just the magnet exploded, not her brainstem

Agreed. Her hand holding the magnet is being pushed away empty. If her neck had exploded, the magnet would have going flying in the same direction as her hand.

Probably this is supposed to be a reveal that her new chip is TOO POWERFUL and will have consequences...

Still doesn't explain a thing about the weird glances Annie and Paz were throwing each other.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

isasphere posted:

At this point of the story I could genuinely see it as her body died but her mind now lives on in her server, no guys, it's fine, really, she didn't realize how much a physical body was holding her back!

I mean. We've already seen robot AIs being put into nearly-human bodies in this comic. If Kat somehow did get pulped, she could regrow herself a new one in short order, probably. I doubt she died, though.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Not to be pedantic, but how exactly did Kat know Annie was about to cut out the chip when this page established she regains sight and hearing after that point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

CodfishCartographer posted:

Good thing Kat just didn't warn her friends something like this could happen, despite her apparently programming protocols specifically for it. Also ignoring how you could just program a chip in your neck to prevent you from getting electrically shocked?

I mean, the tone of this situation is all over the place, but at least these things make sense in the setting. We've seen plenty of straight-out magic and how Kat interprets that magic as code. It reads to me like feature-creep: She had a problem she wanted to solve and came up with several ways to do it, and then didn't stop and think about how implementing all those solutions at once would conflict.

'Oh, I'm working around experimental electrical tech all the time, it would be a good idea to have a way to negate shocks from electricity. For safety. Until I figure that out, I'll make it so my body can't reflexively jerk when shocked, which could lead to me pulling my arm back and hitting something even more dangerous.'

'Okay, I borrowed a bit of code-magic from the Court that lets me negate the shock by absorbing it. Cool cool cool. Although... if I'm already going to be absorbing shocks, I should take advantage of that. Let me use that power for something.'

'Okay, now I can use the absorbed electricity, so I'm not burning calories like crazy to control my new electro-magic tech powers. But deliberately shocking myself every couple hours is tedious. Let's take this code a little farther and have the chip able to absorb ambient electricity from around me. Brilliant!'

So now when the chip was turned on, it starts absorbing ambient electricity, the 'don't twitch' failsafes she forgot to take out go off, and her body is immediately immobilized.