Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Well, after reading Homestuck for the second time the other week, I decided to read this series since there's a lot of overlap in the avatar department.

So after reading Homestuck twice, that was just too drat quick. I've now read the whole story in a week binging through it at the same pace and now I'm caught up. It's going to be very rough for me now. I think I'm going to have to buy the books so I have that excuse to re-read this story too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I had two thoughts I had about the current update that I'm sure aren't all that original. One is that Annie's hair looks a bit more like her mother's hair. The other is when the paper came out of the envelope, I wonder if some robot is in love with her. The straight lines on the heart and the old printer paper seems like something a robot would do.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Finally, we can see the resemblance.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I wonder why the word bubbles were used to cover up the characters in the first panel. There's enough room to use to put the text over areas that wouldn't block them.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Smitty, aged 35, has an intervention due to his extreme hoarding ways in Chapter 285.

"NO! I DON'T KNOW WHAT IT'LL BE USED FOR YET!"

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

No Bobby I can't love you, it is *forbidden*!

And then it becomes an American soap opera.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Mazerunner posted:

I feel like there's an All My Circuits joke to be found, but I'm drawing a blank here.

What's next? GAY robosexual marriage?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Next panel she realizes she's talking to a broom holding up a wig and her coat as she has sprinted out of there.

EDIT: The page will also included an embeded music clip of a drum roll on bongo drums.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Olivia42 posted:

"Some people are just dicks" is a terrible message for a character to learn (outside of light comedy), and directly opposes the previously established moral philosophy supported by the comic so far. I'm not saying it will never, ever happen, but I'd be kind of disappointed if that is the direction Anthony's story goes.

So basically what you're saying is:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Doctor_Blueninja posted:

So is no one going to wonder what happened in the second panel there? Seems like some sort of Fire Elemental self-defense mechanism, judging by the symbol, but Annie doesn't appear to have activated it intentionally.

Intrigue! :science:

She's holding her hand out when it activates and is covering her eyes. Seems like she did it herself this time, even if it was a twitch reaction.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The first thing I thought of with that white light, is what if Coyote just pulled that memory out of her. Was there something there that happened that he didn't want Annie to see? If so, was the one side of her face "blinking" similar to symptoms of a stroke?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Here's the before/after, since I didn't notice it until you guys said something.

EDIT: Waiting to see who'll get the avatar of it cycling between happy and angry Ysengrin.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Nettle Soup posted:

Waiting for the first person to edit it into your current avatar.

But now that Futurama's over I want to keep my Fighting Mongoose Gang Tag!

Although seriously, I saw it as a smile. I know what is was, so it was just a joke in my head. It was just always at first glance it was a smile, but I knew what was actually happening when I looked at it for more than literally a split second.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

You guys are going to give him Body Dysmorphic Disorder by Proxy or something.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

DontMockMySmock posted:

Haha, nice. But something's not quite right. . .

(I have no idea why I did this)

Oh god, the command in her face! Why did she hide that? So pure!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

This chapter hadn't been tugging at my heart strings like it has for the rest of you (because I'm a jaded bitter person), but I'm glad that she didn't go after Annie. I was worried that when this happened she would freak out and withdraw from Paz, but at least that didn't happen.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

seravid posted:

He can fly, that's pretty cool.

Are you thinking about the fox that followed the hedgehog around?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Oh my god I am so happy I made that comment. Brilliant.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

mfcrocker posted:

If someone animates it I'll put down the 5 bux to send Jake the Dog to retirement

You mean to live on a farm.

(You could keep the same text with that avatar too.)

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Heavy Zed posted:

That layout is ambiguous enough that Scott "Infinite Canvas" McCloud specifically called it out as something you should never do in Making Comics.

As someone who reads Marvel's comics regularly, there's nothing wrong with this layout. You run the panels left to right (or reverse for those areas where you read that way), and you can divide them up vertically as well. So long the panel next to the divided panels is as tall as the sum of the divided panels. It makes it obvious that the divided panels are to be read top down, as otherwise you'd read the top one, then the large one, then have to go against the normal read direction to read the second smaller one. Old (60s) Marvel comics used to do it the backwards way, and even then they had an arrow between panels to guide your eyes before they dropped it.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

Yes, Jeanne is a secret. Even Jones doesn't know about her; it's entirely likely that nobody at the Court does save for what has been discovered during the comic.

Assuming the Court doesn't know about her, I wonder if they have put thought into how to defend themselves from the forest, or whether it is necessary.

The fact that Jones cut her off on that subject leads me to believe she knows about it. However, Annie's story won't stick, so she needs hard proof. It seems Jones is warning her of this, and the danger of going off without definite proof.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Fangz posted:

Note the fingers on

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=653

which I assume are Diego's, turning on the recording robot for the meeting. Also, it seems unlikely that the robot would be at the Court's super-sekrit archery meeting totally by coincidence (the perspective suggests it was being carried by someone, since it recorded the watch from above, and the robot itself is quite short), especially given that Diego was under orders to destroy all records of it.

I think those fingers are him holding the case for the arrow. You see the same in panel two, and the open box after that.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

If they wanted to just kill someone, I wonder why Diego had to craft such a special arrow to do so. I don't think it simply kills the target (especially since the end isn't even sharp).

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

I don't know, are you racist against condoms?

Condoms aren't people.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

MikeJF posted:

So anyone else who played Psychonauts having a Black Velvetopia flashback?

Well now I am.

However, I noticed that you can see the sticker peeling off for the window shudder in the 6th panel. Yet the skull came out of that sticker. So there's a bit more going on that puppetry.

Also, I keep thinking I've seen that window with a writer in it somewhere before. It seems like such an odd thing that's not very Halloween-y on its own.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Chronojam posted:

Obviously the Artilleryman's real name is Krigg Gunner

It was Kriss Gunner, but they were sloppy with the S's, and no one knew better.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

How much profit does he get from his books? Because if I had the money, I would throw him money that. (If he also had them in stock. I guess that's a good thing if they're constantly out of stock.)

I also follow him on Twitter, and it seems that he also got evicted, and needs to pay some fine because of that. I feel bad for him just for that alone, let alone this recent stupid BS. I think the whole reason it got brought up was because he was trying to show how to not write a character after all. With a few exceptions, the characters in this comic are defined pretty well and their motives make sense. Unless they're Coyote, who kindof stands for chaos anyways.

(Hell, his comic makes me slightly nervous because Robot is turning into a zealot and it's concerning.)

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Rei_ posted:

One of the major problems is that the lady in the river has been set up as like almost endgame at this point, which is like where do you escalate to after that?

Coyote, Annie's father, the headmaster, Rey's entrapment, the robot code/religion, the mystery of Jones, etc.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I must be too old and have no idea how tumblr works. That quote doesn't seem to have anything to do with that page, and I don't see a way to find other posts anyways.

EDIT: Nevermind, the link was removed.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Well now I know if I ever (get talent and) make a comic, I better research the hell out of period clothing.

Also, you Brits that don't like giving out candy to kids are just monsters.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I don't see any correlation with any of those pages at all. Tom said in this thread he doesn't know what day of the week his pages are going to appear on, so is it really likely that he would time out the comic for some numbering scheme? And again, I don't see what makes those pages you linked any special, or how they link together.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So no one else is going to guess what is in her hand? I don't know if it was something she shown to be given during one of those flashback sequences.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The first time I saw it I thought it was a burn mark, that she started fires shooting into the air (since they later asked her about it), and she accidentally scorched her.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Maybe Jones is her own psychopomp! :downs:

Psychopomps were killed in the last chapter though.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I really hope Jones' reasoning is more than "it's not fair".

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

If I saw a Dracula in front of my face, I'd show that face too. This is a kid and how he sees childhood spooky stuff. It fits in well with how his version of the afterlife appears too.

Since that door was on the ground, I hope that he laid straight as a board and pivoted at his feet to stand up. Something sort of like this:

Yes, this gif was the best example I could find

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah, I love Mel Brooks films, and remember that movie very fondly watching it as a kid.

Trying to watch it a few months ago was just a terrible experience. It was much better in my memory than in my retinas in my 30s.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Rumda posted:

Pack it up were not gonna get better than that.

Rumda posted:

Pack it up

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

eriktown posted:

I wish to stake a claim on this one: for my love of it is great, though I have no tenbux at the moment.

Good news! Avatars are $5!