Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
Way to go Annie, tellin' it like it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
Annie's expression only doesn't match her words in panel 4 if you imagine her being reserved and ashamed of admitting she doesn't like him, looking down and away. She doesn't like him and she's fine with that, what's he gonna do about it? Focused gaze, hint of a smile.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Cabbit posted:

Was that just a literary device, or did Annie actually make that picture of Zimmy appear with her ether stuff?

Annie just discovered her X-men power. Creating mental pictures of Zimmy straight outta nowhere.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Mocha Caveman posted:

Eglamore?

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
Annie gotta grumpy face.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Fuego Fish posted:

Simon Pegg as Reynardine, maybe?

I was thinking Simon Pegg for Kat's Dad. Donald? Donald Donlan? God what a silly name.

And please not Billie Piper as anything, she already screwed up Sally Lockheart.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Magnus Condomus posted:

I want Jason Statham to be someone, but I can't think of anyone who isn't Eglamore, and even then he doesn't really fit.

I vote Mort.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
Jones is pretty scary.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Talas posted:

She had bird-boy and she lost him :smith:

He flew away and we did nothing.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

WeaponBoy posted:

Did anyone else find the exchange with the teacher, aside from being kinda funny, but also kinda pointless? Did Blue get the book from her? The teacher didn't give a crap and just wanted to go back to sleep. I guess I'm just overthinking it, just that part of that page seemed kinda pointless.

I think it's establishing that everyone in this classroom is a whacked-out fairy crazy person, teacher included. There's no-one in charge.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
First being annoyed at the faerie derail for taking us away from the orbital mechanics chat, now a discussion on the inner workings of satellites. Gunnerkrigg fans are an odd bunch. Hopefully we can mirror the comic in being equally split between hardcore technophiles and ardent creatives.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Smooglii posted:

True story: I thought that was Eglamore, but I wasn't entirely sure because he looked a little different.

So I looked below the comic, and sure enough...

Me too. I'm glad someone else had similar trouble, I was worried I had internalised the Eglamore Gag.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
Has Carver's only line to date, outside the phone call, been "I have matters to attend to."?

I trust him. The man's busy.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Metoron posted:

Honestly, Donald just looks so happy that he can show off his cool door power. Like nobody ever asks him about it and he can show it off for once.

He actually uses it all the time, hoping that people are going, "Huh, Donald was just in here a minute ago, where did he go? That guy's so mysterious." But actually nobody notices because no-one pays any attention to him.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Tea-san posted:

I'll let people know what I'm planning on my site on Monday.

Dammit guys why are you wasting time? We've three days of futile, hysteric speculation to burn through! I'm betting Moonbase.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
I'm betting Surma and Eglamore fell apart because Surma wanted a child despite knowing what would happen and James wouldn't go through with it. And Anthony ended up next on the list, somehow.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Elftor posted:

The dude is a surgeon, so I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say he probably needs the scalpels to do surgery.

He needs them orbit-dropped from Gunnerkrigg because of the NHS cuts.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
D'aww, what a lovely page.

Also the occasional MSPA chat in this thread got me reading homestuck for the first time. It is amazing.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

NihilCredo posted:

What *I*'m taking from all this is that Lowtax needs to send Tom a really nice present ;)

The biggest box of spiders you ever did see!

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Dyllyn posted:

Oh! Didn't realize what was off till I read this thread.. Annie's eye shadow is missing! :iia: She looks like a little girl again

The eyeshadow can be a bit much. I never read Gunnerkrigg the first few times I was linked it because if featured an eleven year old schoolgirl in eye shadow, lip gloss and what appears to be false eyelashes and hair extensions. And the first page is her doing an over-the-shoulder pinup pose. It was Creepy As gently caress, essentially. It recovered obviously, but overly sexual depictions of eleven year old schoolgirls in a creepy dark boarding school is kind of a worrying place for a webcomic to start.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
Wow, you guys get super defensive over your webcomics. Good thing you called me a pedophile as well, that'll show me!

edit: for reference, I'm referring to the title page. As you can tell from over-the-shoulder but I guess you were too busy raging out over someone talking about your precious panels with anything less than outright awe.

suburban virgin fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jun 18, 2012

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Keru posted:

Dude, you thought the title page was a pinup, I don't think you have anything more to do here than roll with the punches.

I don't think you have anything more to do here than call me a pedophile some more. I mean, that's the obvious implication on pointing out an 11 year old in eyeshadow, lipgloss and false eyelashes, right? Say you're passing my details on to the authorities too, that way I'll be far too scared to talk about your comic books ever again. Sorted.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Tank! posted:

It's fine, you're very clearly not a pedophile, you're just an rear end in a top hat. I'm seriously amazed anyone could find "looking over one's shoulder", something that most regular humans do, a tantalizing act. The make-up thing is not even suspect in the least, not everyone wears cosmetics in attempt to look alluring.

Also "hair extensions and false eyelashes" are really reaching. Do you know what either of those things actually looks like?

Google image search "over shoulder look". Go on. I dare you. You will discover that the whole modelling industry disagrees with you, that the over-the-shoulder look is hugely popular as an attractive pose, and however much an rear end in a top hat you think I am, you're still completely blinded to any sort of criticism because you associate yourself with a goddamn webcomic and anything nasty said about it, however meekly put, has to be responded to with overwhelming force and vehemence.

Says the rear end in a top hat pedophile.

Thank-you for apologising Keru, I'm still running with the pedohile thing for the time being because it was a completely ridiculous thing to say and I think it highlights the point I'm making here.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Rasamune posted:

Jesus Christ, dude. It's not that you criticized the comic. It's that your criticism was dumb and weird and made no sense to anyone but yourself.

And of course a GIS sample of "over shoulder look" is going to have a sexual bias. That doesn't mean that looking over one's shoulder is an inherently sexual act.

Well of course evidence is going to bias your poisition, it's why it's good manners to never use it!

The over-the-shoulder look is a hugely popular provocative pose for models to adopt, we've all seen it a bajillion times and claiming otherwise is plain denial. But she's saying come and see what happened so hey ho, maybe it's just a pose with awkward connotations.

She's also dolled up to the nines very much like, as posters above have shown, a bratz doll. Dolls commonly lambasted for their over-sexualisation of pre-teen girls. Weird, but maybe it's a character thing we'll have to see.

She's an illustrated schoolgirl. On the internet.

That's three strikes right there. The rest of you are off your heads, I was right to be worried going in and I won't apologise for it.

edit: Christ, re-reading my original post it wasn't even a criticism. I said it was a "worrying place for a webcomic to start". Oh ho, but the goon squads not going to stand for that! Neckbeards, to your keyboards!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

loquacius posted:

Please tell us some more about how you are meek and respectful and everyone else is responding with overwhelming force and vehemence :allears:

Sure.

My original post:

quote:

The eyeshadow can be a bit much. I never read Gunnerkrigg the first few times I was linked it because if featured an eleven year old schoolgirl in eye shadow, lip gloss and what appears to be false eyelashes and hair extensions. And the first page is her doing an over-the-shoulder pinup pose. It was Creepy As gently caress, essentially. It recovered obviously, but overly sexual depictions of eleven year old schoolgirls in a creepy dark boarding school is kind of a worrying place for a webcomic to start.

For this I was called a pedophile, an idiot and an rear end in a top hat. I think it kind of speaks for itself.

edit: I searched 'defensive' on this page, yours is the only occurrence. Aside from this one now. Oh, I used it once last page. My mistake I guess!

edit2: Getting called an idiot pedophile rear end in a top hat for pointing out weird poo poo in a webcomic will tend to provoke a few responses, wait till it happens to you!

suburban virgin fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Air is lava! posted:

Do Britons actually write "hullo"?

What sort of survey is that anyway? Does he run around at night in the forest asking animals how they feel?
That does seem kind of dangerous either way.

A short discussion on "hello" and "hullo": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xXSw07zrio

suburban virgin fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jun 24, 2013